"Paid Breakfast cannot be transferred to children"

Closed Thread

Old Dec 28, 13, 2:45 am
Original Poster

"Paid Breakfast cannot be transferred to children"

When I travel with my 2 (< 10 year old) children, I usually look for a breakfast-inclusive rate, if it's cheaper than paying for breakfast for them.

That way I've usually gotten: adult breakfast for two as part of the Plat benefit, and breakfast for the two kids as part of the room rate (the usual clause is "up to two guests").

This has worked fine in the last few years. But I encountered an interesting situation at my last stay where they said I could not "transfer" the breakfast included in the room rate to my children, and in future I should book a rate that does not include breakfast.

Really strange. No reason given except that it can't. I didn't kick up a fuss at the time for other reasons, and I don't intend to pursue the matter further with the hotel, but I'm interested to know if anyone else has come across this situation.

The only thing I can think of is that I did not declare the children in the booking - I routinely do not since they always share existing bedding anyway. But does that preclude them from utilising what is actually a paid "service"?
Old Dec 28, 13, 2:52 am

Programs: LH FTL, BA Silver, HH SILVER, SPG LT PLAT, A/club PLAT, Hyatt Diamond
Can you please indicate at which properties this happened ?
Old Dec 28, 13, 3:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by geilux View Post
Can you please indicate at which properties this happened ?
Hmmm. I intentionally left it out. But it's in Japan.
Old Dec 28, 13, 4:23 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
Just out of curiosity, why not take the breakfast for yourself & wife and give the kids your plat vouchers?

To me, this is plain ridiculous. You paid for a product and did not receive it. I can't see it mattering who gets the breakfast as long as they're in your room. I would have said something.

Last edited by jb3t; Dec 28, 13 at 4:41 am
Old Dec 28, 13, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by travelswithmyself View Post
not surprising - they play by the rules there - no deviations
i am actually surprised you were allowed to stay with two children not listed on reservation. max occupancy is usually firmly enforced afaik
Old Dec 28, 13, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No, you paid for a service with specific limitations and the property enforced those limitations.

The nice thing about properties and other businesses which play by the rules is that you know what the rules are and you can plan on them whether they benefit you or not.
Old Dec 28, 13, 7:19 am
Marriott Contributor Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AA PlatPro 2.3MM; Marriott LT Plat; Hilton Gold; Vistana 5-Star Elite; National Car Exec Elite
The only thing I can think of is that I did not declare the children in the booking - I routinely do not since they always share existing bedding anyway.
When not declaring the children in the reservation, don't you run a greater risk of being upgraded to a room with only one bed and if the hotel is full having to stay in that room?
Old Dec 28, 13, 7:23 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I have no problem with this... if you did not declare the children... they are not "officially" staying in the room... so you cannot transfer benefits to "guests".

I know it is a technicality... but rules are rules.

As others say, I would be more concerned about room type received if the hotel does not know you have two more guests.
Old Dec 28, 13, 8:29 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by wharvey View Post
I have no problem with this... if you did not declare the children... they are not "officially" staying in the room... so you cannot transfer benefits to "guests".

I know it is a technicality... but rules are rules.

As others say, I would be more concerned about room type received if the hotel does not know you have two more guests.
100% agree!
Old Dec 28, 13, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is just someone who wants it both ways, is used to getting away with it and ran up against a competent staff which does a good job, both for the customer and their employer.
Old Dec 28, 13, 9:56 pm

Impossible to answer your question when you withhold basic information. I guess all I can say is be thankful you got away with it so many other times.

Cheers,
Old Dec 28, 13, 10:39 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
I guess you'd have to see the T&C of the bfast rate to see if it clearly states that they are only to be used by the person who booked the room and a guest staying in the room.

I think if you play by the rules (assuming they knew 4 people were in the room) he could take the bfast package and plat amenity and use one on one guest and one on the other. Leaving him one short... Officially.
Old Dec 28, 13, 10:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
This is just someone who wants it both ways, is used to getting away with it and ran up against a competent staff which does a good job, both for the customer and their employer.
Take a chill pill, dude.
Old Dec 28, 13, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

My question was simply if anyone else had encountered this situation.

jbt3, we usually leave it up to the hotel. Thus far I've always been told since we had two in the rate and two from the benefit there would be no extra charges. At most of the hotels I stay in (Asia) they don't hand out vouchers any more.

With regards to the bed type, we manage. I'm always relegated to the sofa.

Surprised that some feel that I have been "getting away with it". I have been paying extra for the meal, just that it's included in the rate. That's getting away with it? Getting away with what? The meal was for "up to two guests". What limitations are you referring to?

About declaring them during the booking, yep I see your point. But the rate does not change whether I declare them or not. I'm not paying less. And they are obviously declared when I check-in. I don't believe that violates the "rule" since I'm not asking for anything more than what I paid for... a meal for "up to two guests".

Anyway, I'll talk to the hotel again, to understand the logic behind why they feel it cannot be transferred. And yes Azepine00 I know they and most hotels in JP are sticklers for occupancy rules (and other rules). I did enquire and inform them beforehand. It just wasn't in my booking.
Old Dec 28, 13, 11:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
About declaring them during the booking, yep I see your point. But the rate does not change whether I declare them or not.
I'm very surprised you find this to be the case in Japan. In my experience, I've always seen higher charges there based on occupancy. You also need to be very careful elsewhere. In some countries, there are strict restrictions on room occupancy. Trying to get four people into a room designed for two can get you and the hotel in trouble, and they could potentially invalidate your reservation. You really should always list the correct number of people if you don't want to take the risk. It's like speeding - you may have gotten away with it for years, but that doesn't mean you won't get caught at some point.

Search this Thread