Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

How to keep SPG points from expiring after 12 months of account inactivity

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 12, 2013, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
UPDATE AS OF 28 NOVEMBER 2017 :

For our members with SPG Lifetime status: Well always recognize your lifetime achievement. And starting now, your Starpoints will never expire.

When do my SPG points expire?

Per the SPG T&C,
Forfeiting Starpoints. Except for SVO Owners to whom the obligations in Section 9 apply, Starpoints earned or otherwise obtained by an SPG Member will forfeit without notice if the SPG Member becomes Inactive, even if the SPG Member has achieved SPG Lifetime Gold or SPG Lifetime Platinum status. An SPG Member is considered "Inactive" if during a 12 month period: (a) the SPG Member has not had an Eligible Stay at an SPG Participating Hotel; (b) the SPG Member has not earned or redeemed any Starpoints, or (c) the SPG Member's account has been cancelled.
What activity counts towards keeping an account active to prevent points from expiring?

"Any account activity resets the clock. Earning, burning, transferring, buying...anything that creates activity." (from Starwood Lurker, post #78)

This means your options for resetting the clock are
What happens if I am a SPG Lifetime Platinum or Lifetime Gold?

According to the T&C, your lifetime status will be lost and your points forfeited after the period of inactivity.
Starpoints never expire for Lifetime Platinum members.
Print Wikipost

How to keep SPG points from expiring after 12 months of account inactivity

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2016, 9:30 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by roberton
Does transferring points between my SPG account and my linked Marriott account count as activity to keep SPG points from expiring? I'm guessing yes (given that other points transfers count), but I'd like to know for sure.
If the answer is yes, this is an easy easy way to keep SPG points active. Transfer over to Marriott for a week then transfer back to SPG. I was thinking I would have to get another SPG AX credit card when the 12 months of no activity comes up and I really don't want one.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 1:38 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
That is specifically mentioned in the FAQ : yes.
Oops. Not sure how I missed that when I skimmed through the FAQ. Thank you for pointing it out.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 4:11 pm

That is specifically mentioned in the FAQ : yes.
Added to wiki. Thanks for noting this.

Originally Posted by susiesan
If the answer is yes, this is an easy easy way to keep SPG points active. Transfer over to Marriott for a week then transfer back to SPG. I was thinking I would have to get another SPG AX credit card when the 12 months of no activity comes up and I really don't want one.
As the wiki explains, almost any trivial activity--including booking & then canceling--was already good enough to reset the expration clock.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 7:23 am

can anybody state how long delta crossover awards took to post? I have a flight 10 days before my pts expire, I imagine it wont be enough time
Old Oct 6, 2016, 8:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
It will be interesting in 2018 to find out whether SPG (1 year) or Marriott (2 year) points expiration prevails.

Cheers.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 8:25 am

Programs: AC 50k, Marriott LIfetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by beltway
Added to wiki. Thanks for noting this.

As the wiki explains, almost any trivial activity--including booking & then canceling--was already good enough to reset the expration clock.
Am I missing something now? The FAQ specifically says that transfers from MR to SPG DO NOT count as qualifying activity and DO NOT affect the expiry.
http://members.marriott.com/faq/#if-...nts-expiration

Direct link above doesn't work. Click on Points Transfer and then the 9th question down.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 8:30 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
2 FAQs :

Q: If I transfer points from my Rewards account to SPG, does it count as activity against points expiration?
A: Transfers don’t count as a qualifying activity in the Rewards program, so transferring points won’t keep your points balance from expiring.

This applies to your Rewards account : links and transfers do not count towards keeping your Rewards account active.

Q: If I transfer points from my SPG account to Rewards, does it count as activity against points expiration?
A: SPG Starpoints don’t expire as long as your account remains active. Linking and transfers count as activity.

This applies to your SPG account : links and transfers do count towards keeping your SPG account active.

HTH!

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Oct 6, 2016 at 8:35 am
Old Oct 6, 2016, 8:57 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, UA 1K, Delta Plat
Originally Posted by bernyx
can anybody state how long delta crossover awards took to post? I have a flight 10 days before my pts expire, I imagine it wont be enough time
99% chance it won't be enough time. I use Emirates Your Worlds and points from my last emirates flight has not posted yet. It's been 3 weeks. I wonder if Delta is more efficient.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 9:00 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Vistana Chairman
Originally Posted by bernyx
Each of my last two Delta flights took 15 days to post to my SPG account.
Old Oct 6, 2016, 9:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
For those who are worried about points expiring & how long it takes to transfer from airlines & are facing a tight deadline, why not just buy 500 points for $17.50? SPG's site says it takes 24-hours to deposit/hit your account. Don't know if it truly takes 24 hours or, if like Marriott, it actually hits your account within an hour or so of purchasing the points, but even 24 hours isn't bad & $17.50 is probably worth the piece of mind.

Cheers.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Q: If I transfer points from my Rewards account to SPG, does it count as activity against points expiration?
A: Transfers dont count as a qualifying activity in the Rewards program, so transferring points wont keep your points balance from expiring.

This applies to your Rewards account : links and transfers do not count towards keeping your Rewards account active.

Q: If I transfer points from my SPG account to Rewards, does it count as activity against points expiration?
A: SPG Starpoints dont expire as long as your account remains active. Linking and transfers count as activity.

This applies to your SPG account : links and transfers do count towards keeping your SPG account active.

HTH!
With due respect this is confusing in current form. For the first question, the answer is actually YES - a transfer in or out extends your SPG points (and maybe NO for MR points).
Old Dec 30, 2016, 11:36 pm

How Should I Extend My SPG Point Expiraion Date?

I have 121,000 SPG points that are due to expire January 13, 2017. I want to extend the expiration date without much hassle or expense. There is a Sheraton close by, and I suppose I can go over next week and have an overpriced chicken salad, as the rep told me a restaurant purchase of at least $10, not including tax and tip, will extend the expiration date.

The SPG rep told me that I could transfer my points to Marriott and back to SPG, and that would extend the expiration date. However, my Marriott account has been inactive for years--I just made a purchase through their online shopping, so it's going to take up to 60 days to get that account active. The Marriott people told me if I transfer the points over now, then they will disappear.

My question to you is: Are they any online quizzes, or stuff like that available for Starwood, that earn points? I don't want to purchase points, so the chicken salad seems the best option at this point, I guess. Any other ideas?

Thank you!
Old Dec 31, 2016, 12:06 am

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by pho9187
I have 121,000 SPG points that are due to expire January 13, 2017. I want to extend the expiration date without much hassle or expense. There is a Sheraton close by, and I suppose I can go over next week and have an overpriced chicken salad, as the rep told me a restaurant purchase of at least $10, not including tax and tip, will extend the expiration date.

The SPG rep told me that I could transfer my points to Marriott and back to SPG, and that would extend the expiration date. However, my Marriott account has been inactive for years--I just made a purchase through their online shopping, so it's going to take up to 60 days to get that account active. The Marriott people told me if I transfer the points over now, then they will disappear.

My question to you is: Are they any online quizzes, or stuff like that available for Starwood, that earn points? I don't want to purchase points, so the chicken salad seems the best option at this point, I guess. Any other ideas?

Thank you!
How about booking an award reservation (up to 550 night out)?
The reason of SPG having points is to use them! Just pick a destination that you like and book it. Note that award reservations could be cancelled with no penalties (within the dates specified by the hotels).

While having that cancellable reservation you can also:
1) Stay in another hotel
2) Transfer points to an airline
3) Have a chicken salad or a drink
Old Dec 31, 2016, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Look here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...nactivity.html (click on the wiki
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...hout-stay.html
Old Jan 1, 2017, 12:00 am

Thank you, Alex and Mwenenzi.

Mission accomplished. I booked a 10,000 point stay, and cancelled it five minutes later, and like magic, it extended my expiration date another year.

My son, who is an mileage/points whiz, kept telling me to book a stay and cancel. Silly me, I thought he meant to book a stay with a credit card, and not a points stay, so it never seemed to work. I guess it was a communication problem between us.

Anyway, thanks to you both. I really didn't want to bother with the chicken salad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.