Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

From May 2016 : Can only transfer points between accounts in increments of 1,000 now

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

From May 2016 : Can only transfer points between accounts in increments of 1,000 now

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2016, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Exclamation From May 2016 : Can only transfer points between accounts in increments of 1,000 now

So DH and I both have SPG cards. I usually transfer the points from his account to mine on a monthly basis but today I went to transfer about 500 points and noticed that they only allow you to transfer in increments of 1,000 now.

Was there any notification of this change? Not a fan!!

I was on the fence about keeping his card open for another year to get the Amex Offers but if we have to have 1,000 points (and only in round numbers) then we'll definitely be only keeping the cards in my name.
Old May 26, 2016, 8:20 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
I think it kind of flew under the radar in this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...-accounts.html

It seems like household transfers recently underwent a few unannounced changes recently (limitation on transfers involving purchased points, minimum points and defined increments for transfers, etc.). Unfortunately, the only place this is mentioned is the T&C's under the Give Starpoints section (and in the blurb for that section) rather than the SPG Program T&C's, which is where it has always been defined.

Originally Posted by New Transfer T&C's
Transferring Starpoints.
  • SPG Members Who Reside at Same Address. In Starwood’s sole discretion, an SPG Member may be permitted to transfer Starpoints in 1000 point increments only from one SPG Member account to another SPG Member account under specific conditions. Generally, Starpoints may transfer if both SPG Members are active, consent to the transfer, and share the same residential mailing address that is not a P.O. Box, APO or SPO address for a minimum of 30 days prior to requesting the transfer. SPG Members may be required to provide proof of residency prior to Starwood transferring the Starpoints between the two accounts. Elite Preferred Guest Membership Status and the related benefits will not transfer to the recipient of the Starpoints.
Originally Posted by Current SPG T&C's
4.1 Transferring Starpoints.
4.1.a. SPG Members Who Reside at Same Address. In Starwood's sole discretion, an SPG Member may be permitted to transfer Starpoints from one SPG Member account to another SPG Member account under specific conditions. Generally, Starpoints may transfer if both SPG Members are active, consent to the transfer, and share the same residential mailing address that is not a P.O. Box, APO or SPO address for a minimum of 30 days prior to requesting the transfer. SPG Members may be required to provide proof of residency prior to Starwood transferring the Starpoints between the two accounts. Elite Preferred Guest Membership Status and the related benefits will not transfer to the recipient of the Starpoints.
The only difference: "in 1000 point increments only".

Originally Posted by Old Transfer Blurb
If you share an address with another SPG member, you can transfer Starpoints between accounts as you please.
Originally Posted by New Transfer Blurb
If you share an address with another SPG member, you can transfer Starpoints between accounts in increments of 1,000.

Last edited by jibi; May 26, 2016 at 8:29 pm
Old May 26, 2016, 8:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
That's a royal pain. My wife has 850 points, and now we'll have to play games to get those out before they expire.
Old May 26, 2016, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for looking up that detail. Surprised I didn't read about this in one of the travel blogs I read daily. Lots of programs do the 1,000 point increments but being able to transfer the full amount (or the exact amount) you wanted was so nice if you just needed to top off to get to a certain amount. Oh well, limited days in this program anyway. Thinking 1 more year then that's it for Starwood.
Old May 26, 2016, 10:14 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
There is an English mobile version of the page - without the change - in Google Cache from May 7. There is an Thai mobile version of the page - without the change - in Google Cache from May 14. There is an Arabic version of the page - with the change - in Google Cache from May 16.

It looks like I was able to narrow this down a bit more than expected. Given that May 14-15 was on a weekend, it seems this unannounced change was implemented on May 16.
Old May 27, 2016, 2:39 pm

Given that my DW has exactly 1,999 points in her account, I'm glad that fellow FTers flagged this issue. Too bad SPG didn't feel any need to alert people to the change.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 10:35 am

Programs: status free since 2017
The page is gone now. We can't do SPG household transfers now?
Old Sep 23, 2016, 10:51 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
The page is gone now. We can't do SPG household transfers now?
It is still there.

On the SPG home page, at the bottom of the page under "Find & Book" select "Redeem Starpoints".

At the top of the next page, select "More Options".

On that page expand the drop-down for "Give Starpoints - Pass the Starpoints, please".

Follow the prompts from there.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 3:49 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
If you (have) stay(ed) on an eligible rate (or I got lucky last year on an award night) at a Starwood hotel & link your *wood to your Uber account, you will earn 1 pp$ on your Uber spending for the rest of that calendar year!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.