Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Discussion: 10 Suite Night Awards (SNAs) for Plats with 50 nights in calendar year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Print Wikipost

Discussion: 10 Suite Night Awards (SNAs) for Plats with 50 nights in calendar year

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2012, 6:19 am

LOL, maybe this will help us find out if all those posters who claimed to be just '1 or 2' nights short really were!

Cheers,
Old Apr 10, 2012, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by rw_cessna_flyer
Very pleasant surprise...received at 8:50pm tonight

This year, we introduced exciting new benefits, like Suite Night Awards™, to give SPG® members more choice than ever. Platinum members with 50 eligible nights in a calendar year now receive 10 Suite Night Awards to confirm an upgrade to a suite or premium room. You came so close to achieving that milestone in 2011 — within two nights, in fact — that we simply couldn't let it go unrecognized. So we're awarding you with five Suite Night Awards to thank you for all the time you spent with us last year. It's a great way for you to try out one of our favorite new member benefits.

Your Suite Night Awards will be in your account as of April 10 and can be redeemed through December 31, 2013.
Nice. It's great to know not only that the Lurkers are around, but that Starwood management actually listens to what Lurkers relate regarding comments on FT. Kudos to the Lurkers as well as Starwood. Thank you!!
Old Apr 10, 2012, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9330; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.706 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Originally Posted by Flews
LOL, maybe this will help us find out if all those posters who claimed to be just '1 or 2' nights short really were!

Cheers,
Exactly my thoughts. Wait til all the folks 3 or 4 nights short hear about this....
Old Apr 10, 2012, 6:45 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
yeah, class move. Good to know there's some flexibility at the top when it comes to these things.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 7:28 am

Programs: SPG Plat, etc.
Was 2nts Short...

Originally Posted by Flews

Cheers,
Yes, nice to get surprised with these 5 nights... I qualified on Stays and had 48 nights for the year. Could have easily made 50 nights if I had a reason... so nice gesture, seems appropriate... Thank SPG. Here's the message I received last night at 8:49pm...

SPG Has Suite News for You

This year, we introduced exciting new benefits, like Suite Night Awards™, to give SPG® members more choice than ever. Platinum members with 50 eligible nights in a calendar year now receive 10 Suite Night Awards to confirm an upgrade to a suite or premium room. You came so close to achieving that milestone in 2011 — within two nights, in fact — that we simply couldn't let it go unrecognized. So we're awarding you with five Suite Night Awards to thank you for all the time you spent with us last year. It's a great way for you to try out one of our favorite new member benefits.

Your Suite Night Awards will be in your account as of April 10 and can be redeemed through December 31, 2013. For details on all the new SPG benefits, including Suite Night Awards, visit spg.com/morepower.

As a reminder, each Suite Night Award allows you a one-night room upgrade to a suite or premium room. You can apply your Awards during regular paid stays, Free Night Award stays and/or Cash & Points stays. Check out the FAQs and information below for details on how Suite Night Awards work.

Enjoy your Awards — and put them to good use when it matters most.
Old Apr 10, 2012, 8:12 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by Keyser
how many nights did you have last year????
I honestly don't remember.

I found a screenshot of my stays last year. Looks like I hit 49 nights.

Last edited by Braindrain; Apr 11, 2012 at 8:24 am
Old Apr 18, 2012, 4:58 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Delta silver medallion
Suite night award, is this a joke?

I have a stay coming up in three days and I applied the suite night award certificate to my reservation couple of months back. SPG website shows all kind of suites available, never upgraded, so called the hotel to follow up on my award and reservation disk asked me to pay extra 250 dollars a night to confirm the upgrade.

I thought suite night award guarantee you a suite, if available within 5 days of check in time. If it's not the case then this award is a total joke.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 5:42 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
It depends if the suite type available is the standard suite that is allocated to the Suite Night Awards. Check with Plat Concierge which suite type it is for this hotel and if it is showing available ask why it has not been allocated. It could be the suites available are all higher cat than the ones used for Suite Nights!
Old Apr 18, 2012, 6:08 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I just had my first experience with this and it was rather underwhelming. I booked the lowest refundable rate at the St. Regis Osaka and applied the suite night award. My upgrade was to a "Grande deluxe room with a skyline view." This was my first time at the hotel, so I am not sure what the lower category of room would have been, but the room didn't feel like much of an upgrade.

The room and hotel were fine, don't get me wrong, but it seemed like a standard room and, as the hotel occupies the upper floors of a skyscraper, I wonder what room wouldn't have a "skyline view"?
Old Apr 18, 2012, 6:19 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by mecabq
I just had my first experience with this and it was rather underwhelming. I booked the lowest refundable rate at the St. Regis Osaka and applied the suite night award. My upgrade was to a "Grande deluxe room with a skyline view." This was my first time at the hotel, so I am not sure what the lower category of room would have been, but the room didn't feel like much of an upgrade.

The room and hotel were fine, don't get me wrong, but it seemed like a standard room and, as the hotel occupies the upper floors of a skyscraper, I wonder what room wouldn't have a "skyline view"?
This was exactly the standard platinum upgrade I got at this property, which makes me think the suite night award simply guarantees some sort of an upgrade, but not necessarily a large suite which kind of defeats the point of the whole award...
Old Apr 18, 2012, 7:02 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by mecabq

Did they take your suite night award for that upgrade? It should tell you what room type the suite night award is for when you use them so if they took them and gave you a worse room I would ask to have them refunded.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 8:41 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Delta silver medallion
Thanks for the replies. Here is my 2 cent experience with the platinum desk. They can't modify anything to the award and it is weight as much as the request that I would be added on my file when I book a room. I have request an upgrade within the pool of suites that W new Orleans offer and all are available for all my dates but still upgrade is pending. Will keep you updated but I'm underwhelmed with this award!
Old Apr 18, 2012, 9:00 am

Programs: SPG Plat US G Delta G
Originally Posted by Dr.Jordan
Thanks for the replies. Here is my 2 cent experience with the platinum desk. They can't modify anything to the award and it is weight as much as the request that I would be added on my file when I book a room. I have request an upgrade within the pool of suites that W new Orleans offer and all are available for all my dates but still upgrade is pending. Will keep you updated but I'm underwhelmed with this award!
slight off topic, but for the record, i was given the wow suite at this property as a check-in upgrade.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:16 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by spgplat21
Did they take your suite night award for that upgrade? It should tell you what room type the suite night award is for when you use them so if they took them and gave you a worse room I would ask to have them refunded.
Yeah, they sent me a confirmation e-mail a couple of days before, but I was traveling through Japan and didn't pay much attention. The T&C are clear that the "upgrade" could be to a "select premium room," so it's my own fault for not noticing -- though it seems that one can't cancel the upgrade once it's been granted, short of cancelling the reservation altogether.

The "suite night award" moniker is a misnomer.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, MR LTP, others from cards
For comparison, Hyatt's suite upgrades (5 stays a year of up to 7 nights each, not applicable to awards) can be confirmed at the time of booking. Hotels differ in terms of what they give you. I had a huge suite at the Grand Hyatt in DC, and large suites at the Hyatt Bellevue in Philadelphia. One time I was told at booking it would be for a larger class of suite, but finished up in a smaller one (800 square feet vs. 550) because the hotel was sold out for Thanksgiving. However they kept me in a true suite. On the other hand, the Hyatt Regency Chicago tends to upgrade to a junior suite that's a double size room with a sofa but no separate sleeping area. I had the same upgrade without using the cert.

I'd assumed the SPG certs would be similar, in assuring you get something called a suite even if in reality it might be more of an extra large or L shaped room that a true suite. Shocked to find out they don't, but maybe this will be fixed as the new benefit settles down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.