Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Discussion: 10 Suite Night Awards (SNAs) for Plats with 50 nights in calendar year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Print Wikipost

Discussion: 10 Suite Night Awards (SNAs) for Plats with 50 nights in calendar year

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2012, 10:05 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Any other 50+ nighters NOT get the "10 suite award" e-mail?

Lurkers - is there one of the SPG communication boxes that needs to be checked to receive this mail?
I had 107 nights and didnt get the email...
Old Feb 2, 2012, 10:43 am

Programs: SPG Plat, HLT Honors, DL PLT but missing NWA terribly.
Originally Posted by AJLondon
If you really think that was the case, then it seems you are quite unaware of the ranking within Plats (properiatary art and science!) that has been going on for several years. Ambassador program being just one such example.
Don't forget the upgrade ranking report sent to hotels each day. I'm just thankful I was a better customer than most and made the top of page 1 at most properties.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 11:26 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by Rolling Stone
Don't forget the upgrade ranking report sent to hotels each day. I'm just thankful I was a better customer than most and made the top of page 1 at most properties.
Indeed, but the discussion in this thread is very much based around nights, but this is only one part of the ranking calculation. I am often at the upper end of a long ranking list at a some SPG member heavy properties who have been kind enough to pass on some background information about how it works for them. This is despite having a lot less nights than some guests staying at those properties.

There will always be 'better' customers, but properties don't appear to judge this on only one metric, which is what SPG are doing (rightly or wrongly in the opinion of different FTers) in this case.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 11:32 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Plat, IHG-Plat
I find it hard to believe that a well managed cat 6 type of property will voluntarily give out free suite upgrades five days in advance to a business traveler who spends a hundred or more nights a year at a negotiated rate at some suburban cat 2 Sheraton or Four Points.

I know this program looks like a good deal to many of the 25-50 people who regularly post to this forum. However for the billions of typical leisure travelers worldwide who take a vacation or two a year and enjoy a number of shorter weekend stays things are far less clear now.

For the ones who actually care about hotel loyalty programs and don't often book on Priceline, etc., previously SPG was often the clear choice. Directing almost all stays to SPG often brought Platinum status and some real benefits. Fourth tier Plat Lite status with possibly even poorer upgrade possibilities will now have to be evaluated against other programs that may have better promotions or upgrade chances.

Of course even fourth tier Plat Lite members can now get a free coffee and donut or "buy up" to a full breakfast in lieu of amenity points so that may be hard to pass up!

The one remaining strength of SPG is the relatively favorable point redemption and cash and point rates at a lot of good hotels. Companies often announce changes that they perceive will be "good news" and then shortly afterwards follow that with a massive devaluation that they hope won't be noticed so much.

Hopefully SPG still has enough key decision makers left that previously made Starwood the best choice for a large number of travelers to prevent a large devaluation from occurring.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by NoSevens
For those of you complaining this was blindly retroactive, it reminds me of an event we had at work. We had a volunteer day at the food bank, people gave up a weekend day to help out.

After the event, one of the execs invited everyone out to a very nice restaurant on his dime to say thanks for representing the company, turned out to be a very fun day. We had some comments afterwards from people who didn't attend that if they knew they were going to go out to said restaurant, they would have volunteered. A bit sad.

Kind of representative of this situation. If you could have stayed 50 nights and were really close, why didn't you? Because you thought there was nothing in it for you and in the end Starwood decided to thank the people that did. You are different from the others in that you'll only be loyal if you are rewarded with extras, others were loyal because they were satisfied with what was being offered and like the brand/properties.
Exactly.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Phasers
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but do these apply to hotels outside of the US?
of course they do....
Old Feb 2, 2012, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by jasonz9238
I suppose this reward will not apply to those of us who reach platinum through the platinum challenge?
if you had 50+ nights last year then it would....challenge or no challenge....
Old Feb 2, 2012, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
For those of you complaining this was blindly retroactive, it reminds me of an event we had at work. We had a volunteer day at the food bank, people gave up a weekend day to help out.

After the event, one of the execs invited everyone out to a very nice restaurant on his dime to say thanks for representing the company, turned out to be a very fun day. We had some comments afterwards from people who didn't attend that if they knew they were going to go out to said restaurant, they would have volunteered. A bit sad.

Kind of representative of this situation. If you could have stayed 50 nights and were really close, why didn't you? Because you thought there was nothing in it for you and in the end Starwood decided to thank the people that did. You are different from the others in that you'll only be loyal if you are rewarded with extras, others were loyal because they were satisfied with what was being offered and like the brand/properties.
To put your example in proper context, the 1st Class Platinums (50+ nighers) are those that chose to come in and prepare the food and serve it. The 2nd Class Platinums (the 50- nighters) are those that volunteered to clean up afterwards. In this case, the executive (Starwood) invited all of the 1st Class Platinums to go out to eat at a fancy restaurant while the 2nd Class Platinums were occupied with cleaning up the soup kitchen. Both participated equally in the program, but only one group was unexpectedly rewarded.

ExitRowAisle
A Dissatisfied 2nd Class Starwood Platinum Member
Old Feb 2, 2012, 12:34 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, UA Premier
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Exactly.
Originally Posted by ExitRowAisle
To put your example in proper context, the 1st Class Platinums (50+ nighers) are those that chose to come in and prepare the food and serve it. The 2nd Class Platinums (the 50- nighters) are those that volunteered to clean up afterwards. In this case, the executive (Starwood) invited all of the 1st Class Platinums to go out to eat at a fancy restaurant while the 2nd Class Platinums were occupied with cleaning up the soup kitchen. Both participated equally in the program, but only one group was unexpectedly rewarded.

ExitRowAisle
Exactly ^^^^^
Old Feb 2, 2012, 12:35 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by ExitRowAisle

ExitRowAisle
And to put your example in context, do chefs and servers get paid the same as cleaning staff?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 12:36 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, UA Premier
Originally Posted by AJLondon
And to put your example in context, do chefs and servers get paid the same as cleaning staff?
In this case they do...they are all VOLUNTEERS
Old Feb 2, 2012, 12:39 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by ski1stoney
In this case they do...they are all VOLUNTEERS
Hence the volunteers were THANKED on the basis of effort made. The value of the chef and servers effort was more than the cleaners efforts.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 12:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

For this to be a fair analogy, the dinner bill would need to have been paid using all of bonus money pool that previously was announced to be for the purpose of rewarding all employees based on their performance according to their previously documented job descriptions, where progress toward the previously announced criteria was depicted in bar graphs that disappeared and were replaced by congratulations after an individual employee had met the stated standard.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Originally Posted by Keyser
of course they do....
Thank you!

Now can anyone answer the second part of my question:

From what I understand from reading this thread, if you request the upgrade prior to 5 days out, you still choose from a list of room types, but the system does not begin checking if that room type is available until 5 days prior. Well what if the room type I selected is not available, but another type is? WIll I automatically be upgraded, or can I manually switch to that room type during the 5 day window?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 1:46 pm

Based on the new Suite Night benefit, it seems pretty clear that Starwood corporate does place a higher value on the member that stays 50+ nights/year than than the one that has 25+ stays. It seems logical to me that the mysterious "art and science" Starwood has historically used to determine priority among Platinums in their daily suggested upgrade list for each hotel probably already gave a higher priority to those Platinums with 50+ nights over those with fewer nights, but 25+ stays. So those 50+ nights Platinums were probably already scoring the better upgrades over the 25+ stay Platinums in 2011, even if it weren't as obvious to members as it is now with the introduction of the Suite Night benefit. So I am thinking that this new benefit probably won't mean a big difference between when a 25+ Platinum member scores the great upgrade vs. the 50+ nighter.

Where I do think the Suite Night benefit will make a bigger difference is allowing those with, say, 51 nights in exercising the award to jump ahead of those with 80 or so nights for an upgrade, where I would assume the latter would normally be higher on the upgrade list but doesn't care about being upgraded enough in that stay to use the award. That I think is a great idea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.