Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Discussion: 10 Suite Night Awards (SNAs) for Plats with 50 nights in calendar year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Print Wikipost

Discussion: 10 Suite Night Awards (SNAs) for Plats with 50 nights in calendar year

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2012, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
It isn't fair because effectively the qualifying threshold for US residents is 20% lower than for anyone else in the world providing that US residents have a decent credit rating and are prepared to spend circa $100.
agreed....it is a little unfair in that regard....but once again, it all comes down to who is staying more with starwood....if you stay more then you get more benefits, if you stay less then you get less....
Old Feb 12, 2012, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Keyser
agreed....it is a little unfair in that regard....but once again, it all comes down to who is staying more with starwood....if you stay more then you get more benefits, if you stay less then you get less....
That doesn't make sense. US resident with 2 cards costing circa $100 stays 40 nights gets suite night certificates. I stay say 45 nights and don't even though I have no opportunity to buy 10 nights at circa $10 a night.

How in that that scenario is the person who stays more rewarded?

Also nights aren't the only definition of loyalty are they? I only stay lots of nights with any chain when business travel that is outside my control prompts it. Almost all my 40 odd Starwood nights are personal spend but on average I would estimate I also spend about 50% of the room rate on incidentals, food and drink at properties I visit. Why is a guest who makes 50 nights but gives zero additional in property revenue more loyal or more profitable?
Old Feb 12, 2012, 8:38 pm
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
That doesn't make sense. US resident with 2 cards costing circa $100 stays 40 nights gets suite night certificates. I stay say 45 nights and don't even though I have no opportunity to buy 10 nights at circa $10 a night.

Also nights aren't the only definition of loyalty are they? I only stay lots of nights with any chain when business travel that is outside my control prompts it. Almost all my 40 odd Starwood nights are personal spend but on average I would estimate I also spend about 50% of the room rate on incidentals, food and drink at properties I visit. Why is a guest who makes 50 nights but gives zero additional in property revenue more loyal or more profitable?
Until a few years ago, Amex Centurion cardholders had Plat status comped. They basically had the 50 nights comped, but because they don't stay, they also would not receive a benefit like this. Would that have been unfair, too? I don't think so.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by RichardKopf
Until a few years ago, Amex Centurion cardholders had Plat status comped. They basically had the 50 nights comped, but because they don't stay, they also would not receive a benefit like this. Would that have been unfair, too? I don't think so.
Perhaps you could explain the relevance? Starwood used to be paid annually by Amex to issue Plat to Centurions I had no issue with that. The arrangement ended only because Amex refused to continue to pay a rate acceptable to Starwood. I am sure other partners continue to pay Starwood for status for their customers.

Now Starwod and Amex have a joint venture to offer SPG branded Amex cards in a range of locations, in some of those locations Starwoodchose to offer some status acceleration benefits in others they do not, sorry I just don't see the comparison between the 2 situations.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 10:21 pm
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
Perhaps you could explain the relevance? Starwood used to be paid annually by Amex to issue Plat to Centurions I had no issue with that. The arrangement ended only because Amex refused to continue to pay a rate acceptable to Starwood. I am sure other partners continue to pay Starwood for status for their customers.

Now Starwod and Amex have a joint venture to offer SPG branded Amex cards in a range of locations, in some of those locations Starwoodchose to offer some status acceleration benefits in others they do not, sorry I just don't see the comparison between the 2 situations.
The relevance is that whether you meant it or not, you complained that US Starwood Amex holders get 10 nights thrown in and UK holders don't. I responded that some others (Centurion) used to get the whole plat level thrown in and now they don't. Some were not even eligible to maintain the card and were locked out of that benefit.

Complain all you want, but it is what it is. We participate in a free program which benefits the chain and rewards it's members in a very obvious manner. Unfortunately for you, and those who feel the same, there are others who are pleased with the situation, so there's no point of squabbling over it.

It's not possible to please everyone and for every complaint one way, there is a counterpoint. The simple fact is that not all members can be made happy by any change, or any promotion. We just use what they offer at any given time.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 11:42 pm

Programs: Accor Plat,SGP plat, Hyatt Dia, PC Plat, QF Plat, SG TPP, TG Gold
Yes, membership is voluntary and free. However, SPG chooses to offer additional benefits to citizens of one country while denying them to others...and this IS a choice. AAA Rates, for example, could easily be extended on a reciprocal basis to members of equivalent bodies. It chooses not to do so. The rate difference is often 10 or 15%. I don't see any counterpoint to this or any of the other discounts offered on a country-specific basis....and there are several.
The credit card matter has been argued sufficiently .
I find it odd that an internationally focussed company does not see this as an issue.
The second highest number of SPG members are citizens of China . Starwood is opening dozens of new hotels in China. Is it anticipated that Americans will be filling those rooms?
The ultimate in poor planning is reflected in the way the 10 suite upgrades were introduced. No-one likes to see the rules change mid-game ( other than those benefitting directly from the change). The sensible and logical thing to have done : introduce the changes from 2013, with notice. That would have seen a leap in revenue as those with an interest in 'guarenteed' suites booked starwood rather than other chains to achieve that threshold

Originally Posted by RichardKopf
The relevance is that whether you meant it or not, you complained that US Starwood Amex holders get 10 nights thrown in and UK holders don't. I responded that some others (Centurion) used to get the whole plat level thrown in and now they don't. Some were not even eligible to maintain the card and were locked out of that benefit.

Complain all you want, but it is what it is. We participate in a free program which benefits the chain and rewards it's members in a very obvious manner. Unfortunately for you, and those who feel the same, there are others who are pleased with the situation, so there's no point of squabbling over it.

It's not possible to please everyone and for every complaint one way, there is a counterpoint. The simple fact is that not all members can be made happy by any change, or any promotion. We just use what they offer at any given time.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 4:02 am

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
Originally Posted by paul577
Yes, membership is voluntary and free. However, SPG chooses to offer additional benefits to citizens of one country while denying them to others...and this IS a choice. AAA Rates, for example, could easily be extended on a reciprocal basis to members of equivalent bodies. It chooses not to do so. The rate difference is often 10 or 15%. I don't see any counterpoint to this or any of the other discounts offered on a country-specific basis....and there are several.
The credit card matter has been argued sufficiently .
I find it odd that an internationally focussed company does not see this as an issue.
The second highest number of SPG members are citizens of China . Starwood is opening dozens of new hotels in China. Is it anticipated that Americans will be filling those rooms?
The ultimate in poor planning is reflected in the way the 10 suite upgrades were introduced. No-one likes to see the rules change mid-game ( other than those benefitting directly from the change). The sensible and logical thing to have done : introduce the changes from 2013, with notice. That would have seen a leap in revenue as those with an interest in 'guarenteed' suites booked starwood rather than other chains to achieve that threshold
But as an Australian i can and do book AAA rates and they are honoured-just look at your RACQ,NRMA card and you will see a small AAA logo on it and it is honored not only at SPG but at places such as Gap outlets,museums etc in the USA.Nothing to do with SPG itself.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 5:03 am

Programs: Accor Plat,SGP plat, Hyatt Dia, PC Plat, QF Plat, SG TPP, TG Gold
Thanks for the tip. I will try it ( but it is not listed as reciprocal under RACV or on SPG. Kiva does not take amex either, at least not from australia....had to use visa
Old Feb 13, 2012, 5:17 am

Programs: AA Exp, UA PP, IC Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Centurion
This discussion over the last few pages is really a bit sad. There are some platinum members who received the suite night benefit who are now vehemently arguing why their fellow platinum members should not get this benefit.

What do you folks lose if the 25 stay platinum members also get this benefit? Do you think we are stealing the suite upgrades from you that you so richly deserve and we don't?
You would still be higher on the upgrade list than we are, as you are obviously higher valued platinum members. Also, since we only have 25 stays per year, we almost never stay at Starwood hotels anyway.

This is the frequent flyer COMMUNITY. Just read again what you wrote and imagine you are on the other side. Imagine only those who qualify with 25 stays get this benefit, but not those who have more than 50 nights.
Would you then think this is fair?
Old Feb 13, 2012, 5:18 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by paul577
Thanks for the tip. I will try it ( but it is not listed as reciprocal under RACV or on SPG. Kiva does not take amex either, at least not from australia....had to use visa
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...ubs/clubs.html
Old Feb 13, 2012, 5:29 am

if RACV works then how do u book it

I like in Australia and will love to use the aaa rates but don't have membership. How do u make the RACV membership work to get AAA rates?
Old Feb 13, 2012, 6:28 am

Programs: spg gold, CO Platinum, MR Gold
Originally Posted by chanpreet
I like in Australia and will love to use the aaa rates but don't have membership. How do u make the RACV membership work to get AAA rates?
and how is this related to the thread topic??
Old Feb 13, 2012, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by chanpreet
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...card-save.html
Old Feb 13, 2012, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah

of course it makes sense....you are presuming that every us resident has both cards....that is not the case....some have neither while some have one while some have both....

there will always be some who have an advantage over others, depending on where they live & their travel patterns....but in general i have no problem with starwood awarding people who stay more....

Last edited by Keyser; Feb 13, 2012 at 8:48 am
Old Feb 13, 2012, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DUflyer
This discussion over the last few pages is really a bit sad. There are some platinum members who received the suite night benefit who are now vehemently arguing why their fellow platinum members should not get this benefit.
who is arguing that????

What do you folks lose if the 25 stay platinum members also get this benefit? Do you think we are stealing the suite upgrades from you that you so richly deserve and we don't?
You would still be higher on the upgrade list than we are, as you are obviously higher valued platinum members. Also, since we only have 25 stays per year, we almost never stay at Starwood hotels anyway.
i don't think anyone is stealing suites from anyone....a loyalty program has chosen to award those who are more loyal to it than others....nothing wrong with that....

why are plats rewarded more than golds????because they stay more....similarly, spg is adding an extra perk for those who stay 50 nights compared to those who don't....again, nothing wrong with that....

This is the frequent flyer COMMUNITY. Just read again what you wrote and imagine you are on the other side. Imagine only those who qualify with 25 stays get this benefit, but not those who have more than 50 nights.
Would you then think this is fair?
i qualified for plat but did not hit 50 nights last year due to a broken leg which resulted in no travel for 4-5 months....but i have always hit 50+ nights in previous years....it would be great if spg gave the certs to every plat but i don't think its unfair for me to have not gotten them this year....if i meet the requirements this year (which i should) then i'll get them for the following year....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.