Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG: Congrats! You (DO NOT) have a FRN! :(

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2011, 6:37 am

[QUOTE=captain_starwood;16490706]I disagree with a number of the other posts on this chain.

The OP spent time trying to make a reservation based on the false information, and changed his planning and expectations, for which he should be compensated.

Frankly, the main thing a rewards program does is to provide marketing and program participation messages to their members. Loyalty to and participation in a program is dependent upon honest and accurate communications.

If SPG or any other rewards program wants to make sure it members continue to make choices that benefit it financially, it needs to compensate them for significant mistakes and miscommunication that cost time and money.[/QUOTE]

Bolding mine. This is precisely why I don't agree this case warrents compensation. It's a minor thing, and it was rectified the second the OP made the call.

Quite frankly, I've wasted more time reading this thread than the OP did checking to see if he had a free night - which he admits he knew in advance he didn't...

Cheers,
Old Jun 3, 2011, 6:46 am

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
O-M-G

End this torture now....
Old Jun 3, 2011, 9:19 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Gold, Virgin Silver
false analogy

the bank analogy isn't correct. SPG isn't giving him extra points, they are sending him a message that says he has qualified for something free.

If a bank sent someone communications saying that a customer had gained a month without bank fees, regulators would likely make them honor this.

[QUOTE=craz;16490927]well if your bank made a mistake and gave you an extra say $10,000 and you saw it and went and immediately spent it , you can be prosecuted for doing so if you dont have the funds to repay it then and there, and they will say teh person should ahve known. Ok maybe if their balance is usually in the 6 figures, but if its usually in 3 - 4 figures alot of humhuming will be going on
Old Jun 3, 2011, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by captain_starwood
the bank analogy isn't correct. SPG isn't giving him extra points, they are sending him a message that says he has qualified for something free.

If a bank sent someone communications saying that a customer had gained a month without bank fees, regulators would likely make them honor this.
If Starwood compensated someone every time they made an error, big or small, they'd be out of business within weeks.

In the OP's case, they made a mistake and apologized for it. I have no doubt that the apology was sincere. That sounds good enough for the error involved.

Mike
Old Jun 3, 2011, 12:35 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, UA 1K, Avis PC
Originally Posted by sunk818
I think an automatic addition of Starpoints (say anywhere from 100 to 1,000) to the affected accounts is reasonable.
+1, perhaps upon request
Old Jun 3, 2011, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Plat; no plans for chasing any more airline status.
Originally Posted by camsean
that's what happened to me. 1000 points gratefully received
Are you saying you called SPG and actually received 1,000 *points as compensation???
Old Jun 3, 2011, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ldsant
OP - Whistler has many resorts and hotels available. It is not that expensive when you go off-season e.g., Spring/Fall. Just spend a few $ if you want to stay there. Sounds like you have had the opportunity to redeem for very nice resorts. I'm just curious - what properties did you stay at and what was your average spend to get all of those free nights? Finally, were your stays "employer subsidised" or out of your own pocket?
Most of those nights have been business related. Maybe about 60-70%. Some were family, so we'd split the cost. About 15% were purely pleasure. All the stays were in NA, mostly in Sheratons, 4Ps and one or two Westins.

As for Whistler, I want to go in Season (November-December-ish) before my big trip to Israel at the end of the year. And yea, I could pay $$ for a place there, I might as well (since I will have already qualified for PLAT and not need "night/stay credit") use points or FRNs, ya know?

At least, that's how I look at it.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 3:52 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by mikeef
If Starwood compensated someone every time they made an error, big or small, they'd be out of business within weeks.

In the OP's case, they made a mistake and apologized for it. I have no doubt that the apology was sincere. That sounds good enough for the error involved.

Mike
You seem to imply Starwood makes lots of errors BIG and small and such terribly run that if they get punished for each mistake, they'll go under.

I think it could be reverse. If Starwood is well run and these mistakes happen time to time, they can affort to do a little thing for everyone without harming themselves too much.

Maybe just a 50% off best online rate offer to the OP or just stay 1 night get 2nd night free offer. They still make money.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 4:02 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by craz
well if your bank made a mistake and gave you an extra say $10,000 and you saw it and went and immediately spent it , you can be prosecuted for doing so.
IMO no one is owed anything more then a "Sorry we messed up"
That depends on what percentage is that $10000 compared to your bank account balance. If you have several millions in the bank and you got an extra 10000, and you spent it all (like a donation to charity or just spend it all on stuff) and close the account before bank discovered, you can tell the bank to go take a hike if they ask you for it back.

I would respond just like you did "Sorry. I messed up. I don't owe you anything"
Old Jun 3, 2011, 6:56 pm

Programs: AGR Starwood Whoever I can get points with :D
Originally Posted by captain_starwood
I disagree with a number of the other posts on this chain.

The OP spent time trying to make a reservation based on the false information, and changed his planning and expectations, for which he should be compensated.

Frankly, the main thing a rewards program does is to provide marketing and program participation messages to their members. Loyalty to and participation in a program is dependent upon honest and accurate communications.

If SPG or any other rewards program wants to make sure it members continue to make choices that benefit it financially, it needs to compensate them for significant mistakes and miscommunication that cost time and money.
I agree. An emailed apology to all who were affected, and a modest number of good-will points to everyone, would go a long way to build loyalty and compensate for this mistake.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 7:43 pm

Add Content
Old Jun 3, 2011, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by ariyo15
Are you saying you called SPG and actually received 1,000 *points as compensation???
No, I'm saying I called spg to book my free night and they told me I didn't have one. They then offered me 1000 points as a goodwill gesture. Why? Should I have said no?
Old Jun 4, 2011, 7:49 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by yeunganson
You seem to imply Starwood makes lots of errors BIG and small and such terribly run that if they get punished for each mistake, they'll go under.

I think it could be reverse. If Starwood is well run and these mistakes happen time to time, they can affort to do a little thing for everyone without harming themselves too much.

Maybe just a 50% off best online rate offer to the OP or just stay 1 night get 2nd night free offer. They still make money.
I totally agree. Starwood won't mind to give away points. The OP deserve something like 10,000 points which is a free night or 50% off online rate offer. Giving away so many points will not put Starwood out of business.
Old Jun 4, 2011, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by camsean
No, I'm saying I called spg to book my free night and they told me I didn't have one. They then offered me 1000 points as a goodwill gesture. Why? Should I have said no?
Just gave that a try, haha - oh wel... Good news came out of the convo though. I didn't know that I was one stay (not three) from my next FRN. So, it turns out I'll be getting two more

No free 1,000 points though... But, I'm not upset!
Old Jun 5, 2011, 10:32 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, United Gold, Virgin Silver
This seems to have worked out for the best

1000 points is fair compensation for your time. SPG agrees with all the above posters who think small compensation is important.

End of story.

Originally Posted by ariyo15
Just gave that a try, haha - oh wel... Good news came out of the convo though. I didn't know that I was one stay (not three) from my next FRN. So, it turns out I'll be getting two more

No free 1,000 points though... But, I'm not upset!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.