Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

An idea: Make Free Internet for Plats Optional

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

An idea: Make Free Internet for Plats Optional

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2010, 10:10 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by Z-man
That makes a lot of sense. Let's put our employees up in Super 8's. Where do you think the talent will go? I'm not saying that I'm the sh*t but there are lots of employers that would like to have me. I am not going to stay at these Super 8 properties and if someone wants to retaim me, they will pay for it.
Obviously not, or you'd be driving a better car.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 10:43 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AE SE, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Obviously not, or you'd be driving a better car.
Maybe at your age you feel that way but us younger people aspire to be there one day. Don't hate just because you are old and still driving the same care I do.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 10:53 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
That makes a lot of sense. Let's put our employees up in Super 8's. Where do you think the talent will go? I'm not saying that I'm the sh*t but there are lots of employers that would like to have me. I am not going to stay at these Super 8 properties and if someone wants to retaim me, they will pay for it.
After carefully thinking about what is it your original post that rubs the wrong way, I start to able to narrow my thoughts in a proper calibre.

When you rise up the ranks of a corporation in any industry, the number of those in similar ranks start to shrink. When you bring yourself from one firm to the other, you bring most importantly your demeanor and integrety. As you reach the higher levels of power (in government) or higher levels of corporations, the world gets smaller and news of your reputation and actions spreads around. "Talent" is just another word for over 10000 hours (10 years) of practical on-the-job training. Most people who made it through university or some masters can match your talent after enough training be it 5 years or 10 years. But a ruined integrety and reputation (like by pumping the hotel bill for employer so you get the extra points ) may follow you for life.

Shia Labeouf, 24 year old, actor in Transformers the movie, took 2.5 months and learned about trading at Charles Schwab in prepare for his "Wall Street 2" movie. Learned the ropes from (I assume) the best traders in Charles Schwab and then turned his investment from 20,000 to 300,000 in mere months. With enough education (be it in arts or sciences), our potentials are similar. Put people with potential in training and train long enough in a handful of tasks, they are now "talented" in that particular position.

When you travel, I don't think any decent employer expect you to stay in the cheapest of the cheapest. They should give you a comfortable sleep and a comfortable stay. That is no means a luxury stay. There will always be talents.

If a stay in Best Western (never tried Motel 8 brands before), you already considered toughing it out. The best and brightest in China would gladly take your position for less pay than yours (just give us those working VISA). We already took all those manufacturing jobs and relieve all the high-paying union members so you can get cheaper (and possibly toxic) toys.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Sorry, you simply refuse to understand it. This is not an issue of "retain" and "talent", but it has to do something with good business and fair play.

If there are plenty of employers that would like to have you, great. You will AGREE with them on a paycheck and on certain conditions.

HOWEVER, what you try to do is to sneak through the back door and increase what you AGREED upon as your contractually defined market value. And this is certainly not apreciated. If you want good hotels, negotiate it before you sign. If you want to keep your points you get as kickbacks on company travel, agree on it. And if you believe that you do not earn enough, discuss it.

What you however proposed is not an open discussion but more like self service. I am an employer and I like to "buy" talent. However, once we found an agreement I expect that everybody plays to the rules.
Old Oct 5, 2010, 11:57 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Maybe at your age you feel that way but us younger people aspire to be there one day. Don't hate just because you are old and still driving the same care I do.
Well ain't that the pot calling the kettle black? Who is the frustrated little boy because he can't afford the F-150 while his bosses drive sports cars? Not I, son. Not I.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 1:48 am

It's nice that SPG gives us PLAT's free internet, but I can't help to look at the bill every morning and think to myself that I now get a few less points and the company really benefits way more than I do since they pay the bill!!! Maybe there should be an option for PLAT's to select free internet or an ADDITIONAL 500 bonus points and give free internet on all weekend stays and points stays? The only stays I pay for personally are point stays and weekend stays so let's improve those benefits a lot more and cut back on weekday benefits unless the goal is to get companies to add SPG as their preferred travel hotels.....
If I had an employee whose viewspoints were like this I'd fire him right away even if that person was the greatest thing since sliced bread (talk about talent, ha).

In my group we all spend the money as if it was ours, we don't see company as different from us - heck WE MAKE THE COMPANY. Its the people. Not sure where you got your background and taining from or which company you work for but to say that I am baffled by such a statement would be an understatement.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
z-man, give it up....the more you try the defend yourself, the more its going against you....what you have suggested is just not right....
Old Oct 6, 2010, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Where do you think the talent will go? I'm not saying that I'm the sh*t but there are lots of employers that would like to have me. I am not going to stay at these Super 8 properties and if someone wants to retaim me, they will pay for it.
Which employers? You are not exactly in a buyers market these days.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 5:55 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
$35,000 is not a lot....go to any Acura dealer or even a Ford dealer and try to buy an F150 for less than that.....
did you even research what an F150 will sell for? Easily under $20k. $35k isn't a lot for a car? Absolutely ridiculous
Old Oct 6, 2010, 10:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by Montreal
If I had an employee whose viewspoints were like this I'd fire him right away even if that person was the greatest thing since sliced bread (talk about talent, ha).

In my group we all spend the money as if it was ours, we don't see company as different from us -
this is what I don't get

I'd gladly swap internet for 500 SPG points or whatever it may be on my own dime

if you fire employee's whose viewpoints you don't like or find offensive then you won't have much of a company unless you are able to clone yourself
Old Oct 6, 2010, 10:24 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
This seems a bit rude. I'm almost certainly younger than you and based on your assertions in this thread, do indeed drive a nicer car than you do, so can I make the same statement?
Old Oct 6, 2010, 10:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
if you fire employee's whose viewpoints you don't like or find offensive then you won't have much of a company unless you are able to clone yourself
If only Nick Leeson was fired earlier, Barings would still be around today.....
Old Oct 6, 2010, 10:28 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by mrredskin
did you even research what an F150 will sell for? Easily under $20k. $35k isn't a lot for a car? Absolutely ridiculous
I do think you have to take into consideration the considerable markup on a number of vehicles that are sold in Canada due to the failure of many companies to allocate for the strengthening of the CAD over recent years. For example, my daily driver is around $62k in the US while it goes for around $72k in Canada.

Edit: The base model F-150 still starts under $20k CAD

Last edited by NDDomer86; Oct 6, 2010 at 10:38 am
Old Oct 6, 2010, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Exec Premier, SPG Platinum, AmEx Platinum
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
For me, it's certainly not about the concept of firing everyone due to simply "differing viewpoints", but rather, it's someone like Z-man's specific viewpoints with regards to (lack of) fiscal responsibility and loyalty for the company he works for, along with his attitude of entitlement, jealousy of others who appear to have more than him, and overall immaturity and arrogance.
Old Oct 6, 2010, 12:12 pm
Community Director Emerita

This seems to have been gummed over enough. I don't see it going anywhere fresh. I'll close it; should the OP feel otherwise, please PM.

SanDiego1K
Starwood Mod

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.