Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

An idea: Make Free Internet for Plats Optional

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

An idea: Make Free Internet for Plats Optional

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2010, 1:02 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefer...g_terms.html#8

Eligible Charges do not include:

(d) other fees paid such as parking, business center, high-speed internet access, retail stores, spa products and services and greens fees;
Old Oct 4, 2010, 1:03 am

Programs: UA 1K,SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by Z-man
WOW, i was really not expecting this kind of reply. I guess you all run your own businesses or work for companies where the bigwigs do not drive ferraris (SP?) and you drive a honda (like me). Anyways, these are small items for a company to pay and if you want to fire me cuz you spend $300,000 on a car when I struggle to pay for my $35,000 car, then so be it.
Also, spending 80-100 nights a year in a hotel for a company, I feel that I deserve the benefits of doing so. Is there no one here that feels this way???????
Just to be clear, I am not talking about adding $200 a night to my bill to get points, but since I chose where I stay, what do I really get out of free internet that the company pays for anyways?
Not to go too OMNI on this, but if you're that upset that your bosses drive cars that are worth almost 10X what yours is, maybe you should be looking for a different company to work for, where you'll feel more fairly treated, or compensated. Sounds like your issue with them is bigger than a couple of points per night.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 1:08 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AE SE, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UALfromMSN
Not to go too OMNI on this, but if you're that upset that your bosses drive cars that are worth almost 10X what yours is, maybe you should be looking for a different company to work for, where you'll feel more fairly treated, or compensated. Sounds like your issue with them is bigger than a couple of points per night.
This is not at all my point, althoug it may sound like it. What I'm saying is, if you run your own business then I can see how this is great deal, but I would guess (and maybe I am wrong judging by the response) that most people work for companies that pay for their travel, and in most cases the people that own / run these companies make a ton of cash so why should we be so worried about $15 for internet to get access to our VPN's and work? Aside frome some posting on FT, the only reason I go on-line is to WORK so why is that a benefit to me???? The fact that my bosses drive cars much nicer than mine is a fact of life...maybe one day I will have one.....
Old Oct 4, 2010, 1:25 am

Programs: AA - Gold, SPG - Gold, HHonors - Gold
I actually have to defend Z-man, I consider travel for my company should be as less of a shift from normal life. I will go last minute for them and fix problems, I am going to be as comfortable (within limits of course) and take all the perks for me and not for the company. I usually work on govt contracts and the perks are supposed to be for the people on travel, it was a federal ruling.

Really depends who I am working for, but I missed the GF's birthday the last 2 years because I was fixing problems in Australia and Korea. As perks/points are the only real advantage to traveling imho, I will take all the ones I can get legally.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 1:27 am

Programs: AA Platinum, UA Exec Premier, SPG Platinum, AmEx Platinum
I am floored that anyone would complain about driving a "lowly" $35,000 car, especially in this economy.

Old Oct 4, 2010, 1:48 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BulaRae
I am floored that anyone would complain about driving a "lowly" $35,000 car, especially in this economy.

$35,000 is not a lot....go to any Acura dealer or even a Ford dealer and try to buy an F150 for less than that.....
Old Oct 4, 2010, 1:52 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chuckisduck
I actually have to defend Z-man, I consider travel for my company should be as less of a shift from normal life. I will go last minute for them and fix problems, I am going to be as comfortable (within limits of course) and take all the perks for me and not for the company. I usually work on govt contracts and the perks are supposed to be for the people on travel, it was a federal ruling.

Really depends who I am working for, but I missed the GF's birthday the last 2 years because I was fixing problems in Australia and Korea. As perks/points are the only real advantage to traveling imho, I will take all the ones I can get legally.
Thanks...at least one person agrees with me. I am not talking about $1,000"s of expense abuses. All I am trying to say is, that us travellers should reap the rewards (as most companies let us) and not the people paying the bill.

If I stay at a Marriott for the same price as a *wood and order the same food and get internet at both, am I cheating the company by paying for internet to do work at the Marriott?
Old Oct 4, 2010, 3:08 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Thanks...at least one person agrees with me. I am not talking about $1,000"s of expense abuses. All I am trying to say is, that us travellers should reap the rewards (as most companies let us) and not the people paying the bill.

If I stay at a Marriott for the same price as a *wood and order the same food and get internet at both, am I cheating the company by paying for internet to do work at the Marriott?
Yep, you are not talking about $1,000's of expense abuses, just $10's.

I don't run my own company and I fly my 200K+ miles per year in paid Y whereas the CEO flies business. He doesn't drive a Ferrari but does drive a company car that is a class above mine. He is the CEO. I can strive to become a CEO or more senior exec and then will get the associated perks.

This year I'm on the road about 180 nights so far. Like you, I see the points and miles as a benefit that I deserve as appreciation for all the travel that I do.

Of those 180 nights, some 160 are without fees for internet due to negotiated corporate rates and hotel chain status. That is a savings of about USD 3200 for our company. That USD 3200 can be directly applied to another 2 week-long business trip, for me or someone else in the company, assuming long-haul flight of USD 1000, 10 nights in a hotel and other associated expenses.

This helps us to meet our targets. If we meet out targets we may benefit in the form of raises or bonuses.

If you feel that you are not appreciated and that your corporate culture is one of the fat cats vs the peons...change companies. But just from what I've gleaned here in this thread, you'll never make it to Ferrari-ville with the attitude you have. Change your attitude and you can change your destiny.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 6:33 am

Programs: SKF, ROP, SPG, SL Golden Circle, Hyatt Gold Passport, Marriot
I bet that 500 Starpoints cost Starwood more than free internet. So this does not make business sense.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 6:46 am

Programs: SPG>P & STARWOOD Privilege
A thread with no *wood bashing....refreshing reading and a respite for the Lurkers.

:-:YOSITHEZET - Nice writing & good employee/business attitude!
Old Oct 4, 2010, 7:01 am
Suspended

1) How many points are you "loosing" with this new benefit ? Its not as if the hotels were charging $100 per day for internet, I cant believe anyone can be so petty over a few points.

2) How much are you gaining with this new benefit during your leisure stays ? I am sure it will be much more than the points you missed out above.

3) Loyalty programmes are not designed for employees to maximise benefits at the detriment of their employers.

Are you one of those who takes home the spare roll of toilet paper from hotel rooms ....
Old Oct 4, 2010, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet
But just from what I've gleaned here in this thread, you'll never make it to Ferrari-ville with the attitude you have. Change your attitude and you can change your destiny.
^ Completely agree with this statement.

$35,000 is not a lot....go to any Acura dealer or even a Ford dealer and try to buy an F150 for less than that.....
Really? Why the need to drive an Acura instead of a Honda? IMO, you're no different from the people you despise...
Old Oct 4, 2010, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 9:46 am

Programs: UA 1K,SPG Plat,
Aside frome some posting on FT, the only reason I go on-line is to WORK so why is that a benefit to me????
This is where you and I differ. I will use the in room internet for work, but I'll also use it for personal email, checking the news, reading FT, and skyping with my wife/brother/friends.

When it's free, nobody cares. When it's pay to play, the company picks it up, no questions asked. Then know I'm using it, and my company provided laptop, for personal business, but they also know that I'm getting done for them what needs to get done. In my mind, and theirs, it's a wash.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet
Yep, you are not talking about $1,000's of expense abuses, just $10's.

I don't run my own company and I fly my 200K+ miles per year in paid Y whereas the CEO flies business. He doesn't drive a Ferrari but does drive a company car that is a class above mine. He is the CEO. I can strive to become a CEO or more senior exec and then will get the associated perks.

This year I'm on the road about 180 nights so far. Like you, I see the points and miles as a benefit that I deserve as appreciation for all the travel that I do.

Of those 180 nights, some 160 are without fees for internet due to negotiated corporate rates and hotel chain status. That is a savings of about USD 3200 for our company. That USD 3200 can be directly applied to another 2 week-long business trip, for me or someone else in the company, assuming long-haul flight of USD 1000, 10 nights in a hotel and other associated expenses.

This helps us to meet our targets. If we meet out targets we may benefit in the form of raises or bonuses.

If you feel that you are not appreciated and that your corporate culture is one of the fat cats vs the peons...change companies. But just from what I've gleaned here in this thread, you'll never make it to Ferrari-ville with the attitude you have. Change your attitude and you can change your destiny.
Very Very Very nice ^
our employees don't do that much of travel, the owners do. I will pass this great writing about employee- business relation to larger companies for training purposes. Thanks for posting this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.