Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

An idea: Make Free Internet for Plats Optional

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

An idea: Make Free Internet for Plats Optional

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:01 am
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Haven't had the time to read through the copious issues above, but my point:

Why would the hotel give you points/equiv of $ for declining the benefit of wifi? It costs them incrementally nothing to provide. So they are happy to include it as a benefit or de facto charge.

This is unlike laundering the towels and sheets, which does cost them quite a bit in resources each time.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:16 am

Personally, I think its a great idea along with the hotel sending a copy of the folio to the entity responsible for payment highlighting costs that could have been avoided but were accepted by the guest in exchange for a couple of bucks worth of points.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I have no idea what point the OP is trying make with the CEO's car vs his car so I'll leave that one alone. Yes my boss flies refundable fares and does all that costly stuff ($1500 trans cons - at least he takes Y ) and bust the staff's chops on every $300 transcon to save another nickel but it is what it is, he's the boss and I'm not.

I think the thread about internet fees earning points makes this exact issue a moot point however from a higher level I see problems from some of the responses.. and before I go on, Yes I am very well aware someone will come up with an exception such as that doesn't happen at my company etc.. there are exceptions to every rule of course

First IF there were such an option for say points for internet.. play along here.. the lets suppose thread ok??? I'm not so sure why its such a problem for the OP to select points say (or insert other benefit like movie, parking, free drink at the bar, b/f, or something else of use to the OP) in lieu of internet??? Unless his company has a policy that says, you must take free internet in lieu of other options then I don't see it as a fireable offense to can him if he chose another option... the usual test I get is > Would a reasonable person make this choice? or would a prudent person make this choice? For me, I might make this choice on a personal trip (depending on circumstances) so it would be a prudent decision (again as long as the company doesn't have a policy stating otherwise).. Why don't you fire him for taking the 500 point plat amenity instead of getting something to eat/drink?? that way his Meals expense will be lower too??

Second, I doubt I'll get truthful answers here but I will fire this out anyway.. can all of you honestly say that you have never stayed at a property on business travel just a little bit further out of the way from your destination (lets even say the same exact room rate or a dollar or two more) just to stay at a property b/c you needed the stay, the bonus, b/c it was closer to your family, friend, gym or whatever reason??? that extra gas adds up at 3+ bucks a gallon doesn't it??? How about taking that SUV at the elite car rental counter and spending that extra gas when you don't need it.. aren't you costing your company money.. sure no one will know.. but why not fire those people too if you do find out? but again, I know no one here has done anything of the sort so its more hypothetical than anything???

Third, Not necessarily the OP's case but what do you do in a situation like mine where I pay for my personal travel and therefore that includes lodging which also means that some of those elite qualification nights/stays are on my own dime. At that point, why do I owe the company to give them benefits I've earned on my own dime. Point-Counter point is that I agree is that well I wouldn't have that status without the work travel as well. Finally my point -CP- point is that I probably would have that plat status on my own if I had to do it that way. In this situation, does the traveler owe it to the company to use those earned benefits to subsidize the company's travel cost? for the record, I do all the time as it is no big deal to me, but I don't think that i owe it to them either.

Bag fees is a good example as well.. I bought out of my own pocket, 3P on UA in order to not pay bag fees for personal travel and get E+ seating. Do I owe it to the company to use those benefits for company travel? I sure don't fly enough on UA to get elite status there? One issue coming up where I work is the mandate to fly the lowest airfare that pops up on the travel system we use. Often these fares are not that far apart but technically we are supposed to take the airline that is $1 cheaper than the others. That does not take into bag fees either. So that $299 fare on DL vs. a $309 on AA where I don't pay bag fees, is still cheaper but technically I'd have to fly DL.. the company doesn't always know whats better for their bottom line.

I could go on and on about this thread and will maybe later but I have to run to a meeting..

Last edited by AZ Travels the World; Oct 4, 2010 at 12:01 pm Reason: Remove quote of TOS-violating post and response to it; no other changes to this post
Old Oct 4, 2010, 11:48 am

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
FF miles, hotel points, etc., as they are commonly accrued by employee business travelers in the U.S., at least, are to some degree the sort of "kickback" proposed by the OP, but the programs are mostly structured so as to not rub the companies' noses in it too much. I think most travel providers have considered some of the more brazen possibilities such as the OP's suggestion, but have elected to resist any such temptation for fear that they might trigger corporate travel policies that ban the use of the offending provider's services.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Z-man
Also, spending 80-100 nights a year in a hotel for a company, I feel that I deserve the benefits of doing so. Is there no one here that feels this way???????
Obviously you get a paycheck for your job and obviously travel is part of your job. Given that, the paycheck remunerates you for the burden of your travel. If you do not believe to be fairly compensted, negotiate. However, your idea was going a bit too far.

And seriously: SPG prefers much more to attract the company filling the rooms than to to attract you staying on points or staying cheaply during the weekend. So they will certainly not pick up your idea which would certainly result in some nasty comments from corporate travel managers.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Helena Handbaskets
FF miles, hotel points, etc., as they are commonly accrued by employee business travelers in the U.S., at least, are to some degree the sort of "kickback" proposed by the OP, but the programs are mostly structured so as to not rub the companies' noses in it too much. I think most travel providers have considered some of the more brazen possibilities such as the OP's suggestion, but have elected to resist any such temptation for fear that they might trigger corporate travel policies that ban the use of the offending provider's services.
You put it exactly in the rights words. The loyalty programs as such are "kickbacks" (or bribes) and they are intended to be this (otherwise they would not call it "loyalty programs"). The providers bribe the employee to use the services. This all works as long as certain borderlines are not crossed. However, overdoing it could lead to results all of us don't want to see.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
You put it exactly in the rights words. The loyalty programs as such are "kickbacks" (or bribes) and they are intended to be this (otherwise they would not call it "loyalty programs"). The providers bribe the employee to use the services. This all works as long as certain borderlines are not crossed. However, overdoing it could lead to results all of us don't want to see.
loyalty programs are bribes??

i thought they are rewards programs, no?

you will for sure appreciate a client that keeps coming back to use your services right? i would guess you would provide preferred rates and special attention to that client. right? i see that as a reward not a bribe. i view points and upgrade and other amenities as a discount rather than a bribe.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 2:02 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
This is an odd thread (talking about cars, etc), but I couldn't help but reply. I wouldn't mind an alternative to free internet becauses my company provides me with an aircard, so the free internet is not a great value for me.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 2:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by rxgal
This is an odd thread (talking about cars, etc), but I couldn't help but reply. I wouldn't mind an alternative to free internet becauses my company provides me with an aircard, so the free internet is not a great value for me.
Like you I'm in the same situation but it really didn't apply to the OP's situation so I didn't mention it.

if the corporate travel folks wanted the free internet bad enough they'd have it put into the corporate rate; these are not kickbacks as I do not get cash in return. I get points that I may or may not be able to use. these borderlines you speak of are not written (unless someone has them in Policy & procedures) rules.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 3:57 pm

The importance of Internet is something I don't quite get on tnis forum. In the uk many companies provide 3G cards for staff. I stay in hotels every week and always use 3G . It is a fixed price package- we are actually encouraged by the company to use it more. I don't notice a big difference in speed to my home broadbands. I use it for work not watching tv etc.

Is 3G through the company not as common in the USA?
Old Oct 4, 2010, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KSA_USA
loyalty programs are bribes??

i thought they are rewards programs, no?

you will for sure appreciate a client that keeps coming back to use your services right? i would guess you would provide preferred rates and special attention to that client. right? i see that as a reward not a bribe. i view points and upgrade and other amenities as a discount rather than a bribe.
There is one big mistake in your approach: On employees' travel, the client is not the employee but the employer. So every "discount" should go to the employer, not the employee. However, what hotel chains and airlines are doing is to give "kickbacks" (points and miles are moneylike instruments) to employees to make them chose the specific brand. And this is certainly a bribe (one most of us including myself enjoy).

This is totally different on personal travel. If it comes to personal travel, I am fully on your side.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
if the corporate travel folks wanted the free internet bad enough they'd have it put into the corporate rate; these are not kickbacks as I do not get cash in return. I get points that I may or may not be able to use. these borderlines you speak of are not written (unless someone has them in Policy & procedures) rules.
What are points and miles? A monetary instrument. And kickbacks and bribes are not only cash but every advantage you might get. So be careful next time you accept a car or a diamond from one of your suppliers. This is a bribe, even it it is not money.

And in several jurisdictions I know you do not need "policy & procedure" because it is a simple labour law concept: An employee is obligated to surrender everything he/she receives on occaision of the execution of the employment to the employer. Full stop. This is - in general - a very good concept, because it disencourages bribery. In jurisdictions that follow this concept you would need a policy that the employee is entitled to keep the miles.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 4:48 pm

I wish I had a job that paid for my hotel stays and that got me free starpoints! All my stays are on my own dime. Then again, that would mean I would have a boss

As for the internet, it should be free! And no "resort fees".
Old Oct 4, 2010, 7:33 pm

Programs: SPG & CO Plat.
And this is certainly a bribe (one most of us including myself enjoy).
There is a distinction between a bribe and an inducement, one is corrupt (and typically illegal) and the other (typically) is not.

bribe
Noun
•S: (n) bribe, payoff (payment made to a person in a position of trust to corrupt his judgment)

Verb
•S: (v) bribe, corrupt, buy, grease one's palms (make illegal payments to in exchange for favors or influence) "This judge can be bought"[

http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=bribe
Bribery, a form of corruption, is an act implying money or gift given that alters the behavior of the recipient. Bribery constitutes a crime and is defined by Black's Law Dictionary as the offering, giving, receiving, or soliciting of any item of value to influence the actions of an official or other person in charge of a public or legal duty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bribe
Your point concerning who truly owns the points and miles is spot-on, and there are companies that enforce their right to claim them, so as to be used for future business trips.

Yosithezet has the best answer(s) for the OP, who I think simply found himself with a "did-I-say-that-out-loud" moment from which he decided not to retreat.
Old Oct 4, 2010, 9:36 pm

There is one big mistake in your approach: On employees' travel, the client is not the employee but the employer. So every "discount" should go to the employer, not the employee. However, what hotel chains and airlines are doing is to give "kickbacks" (points and miles are moneylike instruments) to employees to make them chose the specific brand. And this is certainly a bribe (one most of us including myself enjoy).

This is totally different on personal travel. If it comes to personal travel, I am fully on your side.
I guess you got a point. you are right. if the employer is paying for all travel expenses then it is logical that all the rewards should go to the employer not the employee. i know that in reality the employee is getting all the rewards but still i view bribe as a very strong word . all our travel expenses goes out of our pocket so i never thought of it that way. interesting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.