Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Hotel Grand Bretagne, Athens, Greece pre 2007 [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Grand Bretagne, Athens, Greece pre 2007 [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2004, 7:27 am
Suspended

if you have a printed confirmation that says "suite," you're fine.

why worry yourself before you get there? what's the worst thing that could happen....the hotel could say there is an error, put you in a nice regular room, and then you take it up with Customer Care when you return. knowing starwood, they will make things right. and, you were only booking a regular room to begin with.

why sweat it? it's vacation, right?
Old Nov 9, 2004, 8:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by david4455
We have two stays coming up at the Grande Bretagne Athens this coming April. Our original rate was 320 EU a night for a basic room..... through persistant checking I eventually got the rate down to 245 EU a night.....I kept occasionally checking and then last week a rate of 305 EU for a non smoking acropolis view suite was available. I booked it in a heartbeat.... the next day the rate had climbed back up to 720EU where it has remained ever since..... did I luck out or what. I have a printed copy of the confirmed reservation. Do you think that rate was a mistake or just a teaser rate that I happened to snag? I am a little worried that we will show up and they will say.....
" there has been an unfortunate mistake....."
I checked the rates for the next two weeks, and it showed a rate of Euro195 per night for the cheapest room on a 2 night stay.

Should I be worried with my Euro103 prepaid rate at the Hilton ?
Old Nov 9, 2004, 8:35 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
if you have a printed confirmation that says "suite," you're fine.

why worry yourself before you get there? what's the worst thing that could happen....the hotel could say there is an error, put you in a nice regular room, and then you take it up with Customer Care when you return. knowing starwood, they will make things right. and, you were only booking a regular room to begin with.

why sweat it? it's vacation, right?
My partner would say it is because I...." have nothing else to worry about."

In hindsight maybe I am not so worried as I was a bit bragging about my good fortune.....

Last edited by david55; Nov 9, 2004 at 8:40 am
Old Nov 9, 2004, 2:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
We have two stays coming up at the Grande Bretagne Athens this coming April. Our original rate was 320 EU a night for a basic room..... through persistant checking I eventually got the rate down to 245 EU a night.....I kept occasionally checking and then last week a rate of 305 EU for a non smoking acropolis view suite was available. I booked it in a heartbeat.... the next day the rate had climbed back up to 720EU where it has remained ever since..... did I luck out or what. I have a printed copy of the confirmed reservation. Do you think that rate was a mistake or just a teaser rate that I happened to snag? I am a little worried that we will show up and they will say.....
" there has been an unfortunate mistake....."
I am soooo jealous. Congrats!

And by the way, thank you for posting. It caused me to go back and check my reservations for July 2-4. I originally thought that I had saved 60 euros until I realized that I had only listed 1 person instead of 2. Rate jumped by 40 euros when I changed to 2 people but still saved 20 euro over my original reservation!

Last edited by bigjim; Nov 9, 2004 at 2:41 pm
Old Nov 9, 2004, 2:34 pm
omh

Programs: LH: FTL HH: Gold LHW: LC Sixt: Gold
I think nothing can happen for you, with your reservation you have made a
contract, I'm not a lawyer but If you have a contract with a price for a
achievement, the hotel have to give the room for the price to you
Old Jan 8, 2005, 9:54 pm

anyone have a clue as to why this hotel is 100% booked for the middle of September 2005?

I've tried getting rates for 9/13-9/17 and 9/20-9/23, and i get zero availability
Old Jan 9, 2005, 4:24 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by haveric
anyone have a clue as to why this hotel is 100% booked for the middle of September 2005?

I've tried getting rates for 9/13-9/17 and 9/20-9/23, and i get zero availability
People wanting to stay in the hotel?

There is availability on the 15th, 16th, just not the 13th and 14th. Also, 9/20-9/23 appears to be wide open.
Old Feb 8, 2005, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA-Platinum; Starwood-Plat; Hyatt-Diamond; Hertz-President's Circle
Originally Posted by haveric

September is a major holiday month for Greeks and is the month of many festivals and events. August is also a very popular month to be in Greece, so this may explain the limited availability for your selected dates...
Old Apr 6, 2005, 6:03 pm

First Impressions of the Grand Bretagne

( This is our first stay in what would be considered for us a "deluxe" hotel....usually opting to stay in $200 a night places....)

We arrived in Athens by way of Delta's flight 132 from JFK and was met by a driver where we were taken to the Grande Bretagne. The place is opulant and expensive!!. ( a bowl of sherbert is 16 EU.....24 hours of internet access is 20EU.) At first they refused to acknowledge our acropolis view room saying that it was a request and not part of the reservation. I luckily had printed out the Starwood reservation from the internet which said "Acropolis View Room"....it took them 15 minutes but they found us one....with a huge balcony to boot!...( I gave the receptionist a tip and I think she was more embarassed than pleased....should I have done that?) .Our room rate is 340 EU a night including breakfast with the fourth night free for a deluxe room.This is by far the most beautiful and service oriented hotel that we have ever stayed in....our large room is lavishly furnished and overlooks the Acropolis and Parliment building....the spa, which is free to guests of the hotel is amazing....I almost feel that it is too much for us.... we walked down to the lobby tonight to have a coffee in the garden room and realized that we would be the only one's without a jacket and tie.... we left.... feeling a little disappointed and out of place....a little like "hicks" from the countryside" perhaps we should have stayed at a more modest hotel.....but we looked at this as a once in a lifetime experience.
Old Apr 6, 2005, 6:08 pm

Have a great trip David. I'm looking forward to a full trip report as we will be there in July. Do you guys have a room or a suite? Anything of note to the room itself?
Old Apr 6, 2005, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by bigjim
Have a great trip David. I'm looking forward to a full trip report as we will be there in July. Do you guys have a room or a suite? Anything of note to the room itself?
We have a deluxe room.... but with a double balcony ( twice the size of any other I can see....) We asked for a non-smoking room but none was available with the view. Although when we checked in they showed us several rooms
( smoking and non-smoking) and to be honest with you the smoking ( the one we choose) smelled fresher then the non-smoking). There is every amenity you can imagine in the room.....only a few TV channels though in english and they charge you for music.( 6 EU for 24 hours.) At turn down service they put little rugs by the bed so that your feet touch fresh linen when you wake up.... the spa is amazing and I suggest you bring a bathing suit to take full advanatage of its facilities ( we did not...but will try to buy one in the Plaka today).Heading down for our first buffet breakfast.... I would suggest you email or call the hotel direct if you made reservations off the internet and they have any specific room descriptions included ( ie view). The hotel when we checked in said that these are "requested" and not gauranteed even though it was printed on the internet confirmation...I had to raise a little hissy fit to finally get the type of room I thought we had reserved......
Old Apr 7, 2005, 1:47 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
I almost feel that it is too much for us.... we walked down to the lobby tonight to have a coffee in the garden room and realized that we would be the only one's without a jacket and tie.... we left.... feeling a little disappointed and out of place....a little like "hicks" from the countryside" perhaps we should have stayed at a more modest hotel.....but we looked at this as a once in a lifetime experience.
I am lucky enough to stay several times a year at the GB; although the rate is always above my daily allocation, I am glad to pay the difference and enjoy it. I agree that, at times, especially in the evening, it can seem formal. But that should not stop you from enjoying, even without a jacket, which I do, some of the time. The spa, with the indoor swimming pool and the steam rooms are really great, as is the rest of the hotel. Having a glass of Champagne, with fresh strawberries, in the winter garden is so enjoyable ...
Old Apr 19, 2005, 11:05 pm

Grande Bretagne.....Part 2

We returned to the Grande Bretagne yesterday after a beautiful 10 day drive throught the Peloponesse. As is any entry into Athens by car, and this was no exception, by the time we arrived at the front door of the hotel the four of us were pretty hasseled. The front desk staff was so accomodating and took pity on us ( probably because of our rather stressed out appearance) and gave us extraordinary rooms even though we were paying low rates.... My partner and I had booked a deluxe room ( 245 EU) with a request for an Acropolis view....he gave us our deluxe room on the prestigious 6th floor with a sweeping terrace over looking the square, the parliment building and the acropolis with a view all the way to Pieraeus.....the terrace ( so huge in fact that the four of us our having breakfast on it ) is only available to about 6 rooms in the hotel so we feel very lucky... the trade off is that the room is smaller then our first and the bathroom is about a quarter the size of our first....but the terrace......our friends who booked a jr. suite for an unheard of rate of 305 EU a night got upgraded to a 3 room suite with butler, flat screen TV in the shower and boxes of chocolated through out their room....

This hotel is really first rate.... we all agree it is the nicest hotel we have ever stayed in ( our friends are much more seasonal travellers then we are).

Anyone have any questions about this hotel I would be happy to answer them.......

Last edited by david55; Apr 20, 2005 at 5:55 am
Old Apr 20, 2005, 9:00 am

Nice Report

Great! Went by the Grand Bretagne several times last year while in ATH and it looked to be just ridiculously nice. Not to mention the location. Take that Hilton! From what I saw, the Hilton ATH does not come close on either count.
Old Apr 25, 2005, 8:42 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum Pref, US Airways Gold Pref, Northwest Silver WorldPerks
Based on your previous posts and recomondations we will be staying there three nights on our honeymoon in August. We cannot wait, although we booked a Deluxe Room, we requested an upgrade with an Acropolis View, hopefully we will be able to get it since it is our honeymoon. However your room with the terrace sounds just awesome!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.