FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hotel Grand Bretagne, Athens, Greece pre 2007 [Master Thread]
Old Apr 6, 2005, 6:03 pm
david55

First Impressions of the Grand Bretagne

( This is our first stay in what would be considered for us a "deluxe" hotel....usually opting to stay in $200 a night places....)

We arrived in Athens by way of Delta's flight 132 from JFK and was met by a driver where we were taken to the Grande Bretagne. The place is opulant and expensive!!. ( a bowl of sherbert is 16 EU.....24 hours of internet access is 20EU.) At first they refused to acknowledge our acropolis view room saying that it was a request and not part of the reservation. I luckily had printed out the Starwood reservation from the internet which said "Acropolis View Room"....it took them 15 minutes but they found us one....with a huge balcony to boot!...( I gave the receptionist a tip and I think she was more embarassed than pleased....should I have done that?) .Our room rate is 340 EU a night including breakfast with the fourth night free for a deluxe room.This is by far the most beautiful and service oriented hotel that we have ever stayed in....our large room is lavishly furnished and overlooks the Acropolis and Parliment building....the spa, which is free to guests of the hotel is amazing....I almost feel that it is too much for us.... we walked down to the lobby tonight to have a coffee in the garden room and realized that we would be the only one's without a jacket and tie.... we left.... feeling a little disappointed and out of place....a little like "hicks" from the countryside" perhaps we should have stayed at a more modest hotel.....but we looked at this as a once in a lifetime experience.