Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

PROMO: SPG Free Weekends 2010 earn thru July 31; redeem through Dec. 19

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

PROMO: SPG Free Weekends 2010 earn thru July 31; redeem through Dec. 19

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2010, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by mnmag
Well, it's quite possible that someone else was booking a reservation using points, at the same time that you were on the phone w/the PC!
that would be my guess as well....
Old Oct 11, 2010, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
I am disappointed that, once again, I probably will not use the FWNs. I certainly do not want to stay at a hotel in my own city (YAWN .... downtown Sacramento is not that exciting!) I'm not anxious to head off and travel someplace by myself .... and none of my friends are anxious to buy a ticket and fly somewhere just for the sake of a a couple of free hotel nights.

Once again, like in past years, I'll probably send out an email to my in-twon friends, ask if they want to use the free nights at the Sheraton Grand and then I'll check in for them.

This is a promo from which I seldom reap the benefits.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 5:21 pm

Programs: QF,VS,SQ,SPG,IC
Originally Posted by kevinsac
I am disappointed that, once again, I probably will not use the FWNs. I certainly do not want to stay at a hotel in my own city (YAWN .... downtown Sacramento is not that exciting!) I'm not anxious to head off and travel someplace by myself .... and none of my friends are anxious to buy a ticket and fly somewhere just for the sake of a a couple of free hotel nights.

Once again, like in past years, I'll probably send out an email to my in-twon friends, ask if they want to use the free nights at the Sheraton Grand and then I'll check in for them.

Wow, we are all different. Not having company has never stopped me from travelling, especially when it involves any type of bargain. It also has benefits, not sharing the bathroom, not having to consider the other person's preference of what to see and do.

The day I depend on having a travel partner is when my legs give out and I need them to wheel me around.

... second thought, I'd probably manage to wheel myself around.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Originally Posted by snufl
Wow, we are all different. Not having company has never stopped me from travelling, especially when it involves any type of bargain. It also has benefits, not sharing the bathroom, not having to consider the other person's preference of what to see and do.

The day I depend on having a travel partner is when my legs give out and I need them to wheel me around.

... second thought, I'd probably manage to wheel myself around.
OK....so I gave the wrong impression.

I have no problem travelling on my own. But let's just say that now, at the end of the year, as we move into fall or winter ..... I can't think of any place I want to go. I've already taken 7 weeks' vacation this year and will be gone for a week at Thanksgiving. I plan on at least 7-8 weeks next year, too. I don't want to push my luck taking any more vacation. So, I need to limit myself to a flight out on Friday night .... home on Sunday night.

I travel the West Coast extensively. There's no place I want to go around here. I've got 1.5M miles on United, but don;t want to waste miles just to use up two free weekend hotel nights. I don't want to spend big bucks on a flight somewhere .... and I can't think of any significant current exhibits or shows I want to see. I'm staying with family for the holidays.

Maybe the thing is .... I'm burned out on travel. But I'm sure if someone said -- let's bail this town and go do something, I'd jump at the chance. Or, if I could use the nights in Jan, I have several trips already planned.
Old Oct 11, 2010, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Why don't you come to the Star Mega Do? You could use one of your free nights at the Westin Seattle on Nov 5. (OK, you'd have to take Friday off, but it's for a worthy cause! )
Old Oct 11, 2010, 6:57 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
OK....so I gave the wrong impression.

I have no problem travelling on my own. But let's just say that now, at the end of the year, as we move into fall or winter ..... I can't think of any place I want to go. I've already taken 7 weeks' vacation this year and will be gone for a week at Thanksgiving. I plan on at least 7-8 weeks next year, too. I don't want to push my luck taking any more vacation. So, I need to limit myself to a flight out on Friday night .... home on Sunday night.

I travel the West Coast extensively. There's no place I want to go around here. I've got 1.5M miles on United, but don;t want to waste miles just to use up two free weekend hotel nights. I don't want to spend big bucks on a flight somewhere .... and I can't think of any significant current exhibits or shows I want to see. I'm staying with family for the holidays.

Maybe the thing is .... I'm burned out on travel. But I'm sure if someone said -- let's bail this town and go do something, I'd jump at the chance. Or, if I could use the nights in Jan, I have several trips already planned.
No hobbies? No special events on the horizon? I recently made a free trip to Minneapolis to see Yanks v. Twins in ALDS Game 1. Used WN for free flights to/from California (saved ~$750,-). Used Alamo for a free rental (saved ~$150,-). The only thing I paid for was the ticket to the game ($220,- after $20 off coupon), and for a night at the Sheraton Bloomington ($119,- + tax*). I did that to get to 10 stays on the Every Night Counts promo.

Anywhoo, I am sure if you saw something cool in some part of the country, then you could just pick a random weekend to do it. You know?

Incidentally, I used my last FWN at the W SF, so that I could attend the Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival (saved $386,- + tax).
Old Oct 12, 2010, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i know what you mean....i would much rather have a points based promo than a free weekend night promo....
Old Oct 12, 2010, 3:53 am

Programs: SPG Gold, SQ Blue, OZ Diamond, JAVA and occasionally C
Originally Posted by saad
i know what you mean....i would much rather have a points based promo than a free weekend night promo....
And I would rather they dispense with the points and just give me cold hard cash. But we can't always get what we want.
Old Oct 12, 2010, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kitsura
And I would rather they dispense with the points and just give me cold hard cash. But we can't always get what we want.
well, my want is more realistic & there will be multiple promos (currently & in the future) where i will get what i want....you on the other hand will never get what you want....
Old Oct 14, 2010, 6:57 am

Cancellation

Just want to be clear regarding cancellations to reservations made with the FWN. From the FAQS:

What would happen if a member makes a reservation using his or her Free Weekend Night Award and then cancels it? Does the member lose it?
As long as the member cancels the stay in accordance with the hotel's cancellation policy and additional weekends remain in the redemption period (May 7–December 19, 2010), the member may use his or her Free Weekend Night Award on a subsequent weekend up to and including December 19, 2010. However, no-shows and members who cancel outside the hotel's cancellation policy may risk losing their Free Weekend Night Awards and penalties may apply.

I am looking at the Royal Hawaiian for one Sunday night, but there is no availability. If I make a reservation using my FWN at the Moana Surfrider for that Sunday night, but then availability at the Royal Hawaiian opens up, can I cancel my reservation at the Moana and use the FWN at the Royal Hawaiian for that same Sunday night (as opposed to a subsequent weekend)?
Old Oct 14, 2010, 7:08 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by thor17
I am looking at the Royal Hawaiian for one Sunday night, but there is no availability. If I make a reservation using my FWN at the Moana Surfrider for that Sunday night, but then availability at the Royal Hawaiian opens up, can I cancel my reservation at the Moana and use the FWN at the Royal Hawaiian for that same Sunday night (as opposed to a subsequent weekend)?
That's an interesting catch on the Ts and Cs. However, I suspect the actual way it works is that the released free night is good on any other available weekend night. The night releases back into your awards, and is then available to be rebooked. I can't imagine a problem reusing it for the same night as a different hotel. Just abide with any cancellation date on your Moana booking.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 7:45 am
uxb

Originally Posted by thor17
Just want to be clear regarding cancellations to reservations made with the FWN. From the FAQS:

What would happen if a member makes a reservation using his or her Free Weekend Night Award and then cancels it? Does the member lose it?
As long as the member cancels the stay in accordance with the hotel's cancellation policy and additional weekends remain in the redemption period (May 7–December 19, 2010), the member may use his or her Free Weekend Night Award on a subsequent weekend up to and including December 19, 2010. However, no-shows and members who cancel outside the hotel's cancellation policy may risk losing their Free Weekend Night Awards and penalties may apply.

I've done this, and I can tell you first-hand that if you cancel a FWN stay before the day of the stay, then it will be redeposited into your account for use until 19 December. I cancelled a stay at the Sheraton New York the day before the stay and changed it to W NY Downtown w/ no problem. Just call SPG.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 7:41 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
I found the St Regis Princeville this AM for the Dec 3-6th. I let go Dec 17th if anyone needs it.

I think there should be a thread of people letting go rooms, that way other FT members and try to get them.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 11:14 am

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by uxb
I've done this, and I can tell you first-hand that if you cancel a FWN stay before the day of the stay, then it will be redeposited into your account for use until 19 December. I cancelled a stay at the Sheraton New York the day before the stay and changed it to W NY Downtown w/ no problem. Just call SPG.
Funny, I did something very similar. When my first FWN deposited, I tried to book a Saturday night at the W Times Square. Rooms were "sold out." Booked a night at the LPM just to cover my butt, in case it got sold out too. Turns out that the W TS was forcing a two-night minimum over Saturday nights, so when I got my second FWN, I was able to cancel the LPM and get the W TS no problem.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 5:59 am
uxb

Originally Posted by DHAST
Funny, I did something very similar. When my first FWN deposited, I tried to book a Saturday night at the W Times Square. Rooms were "sold out." Booked a night at the LPM just to cover my butt, in case it got sold out too. Turns out that the W TS was forcing a two-night minimum over Saturday nights, so when I got my second FWN, I was able to cancel the LPM and get the W TS no problem.
2-night min??? Lame!!! But not thrilled about LPM, so glad you were able to use your FWNs ultimately. I've never stayed at the midtown W hotels, but I heard the one in TS is amazing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.