Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

New Benefit for Platinum Members of SPG (free internet)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Benefit for Platinum Members of SPG (free internet)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2010, 11:41 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Both ITC Maratha Mumbai and ITC Maurya Delhi, Luxury Collection properties, charge for the higher speed Internet. They credit the folio for the basic Internet and you need to pay the delta for the higher speeds. Am I to understand that this is not supposed to be the case?
Old Sep 7, 2010, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by controller1
I decided to go with the highest speed even though it said it would be extra and not free. If I had run into any problem at check-out, I was going to avail myself of what Starwood Lurker stated in Post #332:
i might have done the same thing but i was only going to spend a few hours in the room & was checking out at 5 in the morning so saw no need to have an argument for 2-3 hours of internet usage....had this been a longer stay then i would have gone with william's suggestion....
Old Sep 7, 2010, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Am I to understand that this is not supposed to be the case?
not at all....follow william's advice....
Old Sep 7, 2010, 2:36 am

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
If you encounter a hotel that does not allow you to choose the highest available speed of internet service, where the option exists, you need to contact Corporate Customer Service and issue a formal complaint.

If you would then send me or Thyetus the complaint file number, we can have the SPG hotel coordinators follow up as well.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Does it mean that the hotel is not entitled just to offer "slow speed" but to offer whatever they have, including "high speed" connection, for free?
Old Sep 7, 2010, 5:04 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by mastiff
Does it mean that the hotel is not entitled just to offer "slow speed" but to offer whatever they have, including "high speed" connection, for free?
For SPG Platinums, the highest speed offered by the hotel should be complimentary.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker II
saad,

Have you informed William about the issue? You might like to forward the email to me as well as William is away.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
thyetus, just sent you a pm with the complaint file number....
Old Sep 7, 2010, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Both ITC Maratha Mumbai and ITC Maurya Delhi, Luxury Collection properties, charge for the higher speed Internet. They credit the folio for the basic Internet and you need to pay the delta for the higher speeds. Am I to understand that this is not supposed to be the case?
Checked out of here the other day and had a discussion with the front desk agent, who inquired with a manager. Refused to remove the charges for the higher speeds, despite me telling them I had confirmed with SPG that the highest speed applies. I said OK, I will just follow up with customer service - complaint already filed.

Funny though, I was just remarking to my colleague how the ITC Maurya doesn't nickle and dime guests. Lots of water in the room, often comp sodas at breakfast, just lots of little "things" that other hotels would charge for - the ITC does not. Guess they are sticking to their guns on the internet charge, which is pretty annoyin considering their two lower speeds are absolutely abysmal (128k and 256k).
Old Sep 7, 2010, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
Had this problem with the Atlantic City Sheraton 2 weeks ago. I even called down to the front desk to confirm the higher speed BEFORE I used it. Despite that, I had a problem at check out.

The charge was finally removed when i asked for a manager.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by saad
just had another property offer only the slower speed for free....will send you the complaint number soon....
just an update....i contacted corporate customer service who then got in touch with the properties....

once again, the issue was that the hotel was offering 2 different speeds & only the slower one was free....i got an answer from both properties today & i don't think they really understood what the issue was because they completely missed the point....here are their replies:

Dear Mr. Saad

Greetings from the Sheraton Rajputana Hotel !

This has reference to your query forwarded to Starwood Corporate Customer Services on Hotel Internet Policy.
I would like to inform you that we have HSIA ( High Speed Internet Access) Plan complimentary for all SPG Platinum Guest as advised by Starwood.

Thanks & Regards
Sunil Gupta
Dear Mr Saad,

Greetings from ITC Mughal- The Luxury Collection, Agra!!

In regards to your recent stay with us, I would like to bring to your notice that as per the guideliness from Starwood regarding Platinum guests for High Speed Internet Acess(HSIA), we provide a package of 256kbps speed complimentary during your entire stay, which I believe was explained to you by my associate on Check-in.

If there are any further clarifications regarding the same, kindly feel free to get in touch with me.

Regards,
Rustamjit Singh Sekhon
Front Office Manager
ITC Mughal- The Luxury Collection
Old Sep 9, 2010, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

just an update....i contacted corporate customer service who then got in touch with the properties....

once again, the issue was that the hotel was offering 2 different speeds & only the slower one was free....i got an answer from both properties today & i don't think they really understood what the issue was because they completely missed the point....here are their replies:
william/thyetus, any clue what the next step could be here????
Old Sep 9, 2010, 4:41 pm
Company Representative - Starwood
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
william/thyetus, any clue what the next step could be here????
I have already taken the necessary next steps. Thanks for asking, though.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Sep 9, 2010, 8:39 pm

Programs: SPG
It is Westin Macau (which I have already referred to William).

My complaint to the Corporate Service was as follow:

"I spent 2 nites at Westin Macau between 29th and 30th August, 2010.

I was charged for the internet I used at the room because I chose "high speed" internet. When I checked out, the staff members at the cashier counter told me that the hotel only offered free internet at normal speed to Platinum members. They told me that I should have been told about this at check-in. I was not sure about that. May be that was mentioned but I failed to register that in my mind. I reasoned with the staff member. At last, I was only charged for one day usage at MOP185 instead of 2 days.

Is it the case that the hotel is not entitled to charge Platinum members for internet, no matter they are normal or high speed?"

The matter was referred to Westin Macau and they replied in below.

Their reply:

"Dear [Mastiff],

Warmest greeting from the Westin resort Macau!

Thank you for taking the time to write us the feedback pertaining to the internet charges from your previous stay.

We wish to apologize for the confusion on this indefinite message and as a gesture of goodwill, we will waive the internet charges for this time.

It is always our intention to ensure complete satisfaction with all our guest and when errors do occur, we appreciate being informed so that we can take the corrective action steps as well as implement any necessary training programs or procedure updates to ensure similar incidents do not happen to others.

We will now work with our finance department to proceed for the credit card refund for amount MOP$185.00nett. Please kindly allow 14 working days for the complete process of refund from the merchant bank.

We look forward to welcome you back to The Westin Resort Macau again in the near future and I look forward to personally welcome you and apologize in person.

Stay well,
chris lim
assistant manager,
front office
the westin resort macau"

From their tone (my bold), it appears that they do not accept that the hotel has to provide free internet connection, whether they are normal or high speed.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 8:47 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
In reference to saad's response, the ITC properties are providing multiple speeds of internet and download capacity. At the ITC Maurya in Delhi they have 4 levels and the second to slowest is marked as HSIA in their login/payment screen. So they are able to 'truthfully' assure everyone that they are providing the guests with HSIA for free as they classify the others as Premium Internet.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 9:20 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
In reference to saad's response, the ITC properties are providing multiple speeds of internet and download capacity. At the ITC Maurya in Delhi they have 4 levels and the second to slowest is marked as HSIA in their login/payment screen. So they are able to 'truthfully' assure everyone that they are providing the guests with HSIA for free as they classify the others as Premium Internet.
I've been told by SPG Customer Service that the hotel has recently received notification that all speeds should be comped. Checked out in the past couple of days and they did not waive the highest speed, only discounted it.

Due to this and the general rudeness when they discussed it with me, I plan on staying somewhere else next time I'm in Delhi. Maybe the Hyatt.

It is a small charge, less than USD 20 / day, however it is the principle.
Old Sep 16, 2010, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i recently received a pm from thyetus informing me that the properties i had complained about were now going to offer all 4 speeds (they were both itc properties) so it may be a good idea to raise a complaint & forward the complaint number to either william or thyetus....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.