Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

New Benefit for Platinum Members of SPG (free internet)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Benefit for Platinum Members of SPG (free internet)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2010, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Sorry if this has been mentioned in the thread (I don't have time to read the 19 pages now). What is the policy at hotels that have WiFi but the WiFi is offered through a third party? Is is free or not? Can the hotel only offer free internet access via the cable system in the room but deny WiFi access because it is a third party system? Probably just confused the crap out of everyone didn't I?

Specific example...checked into the LeMeridien Parkhotel in Frankfurt and asked about the free internet for Platinum members. Was told that the internet is free but only via the plug in internet access in the room. I inquired how this was supposed to work for those that only travelled with mobile devices like so many of us do. Basically they said that the WiFi was not free since it was handled via a third party and only the plug in service was free. After talking with the manager they gave me a 2 hour free card for the WiFi. The nice gesture from the hotel however does not address the issue moving forward IMHO. Has this happend to anyone else in hotels that offer WiFi via a third party? The next night I was at the Westin Grand Frankfurt and they said I was basicaly out of luck since they don't even have WiFi in the rooms (strange considering the place was just renovated recently). They told me if I could not connect via the plug in internet I was not going to get free internet service.

Again sorry if this has been discussed in the long thread. If so...maybe someone can lead me to the post that addresses this.

Last edited by christianj; Mar 15, 2010 at 2:07 pm
Old Mar 15, 2010, 2:06 pm
Company Representative - Starwood
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by christianj
Sorry if this has been mentioned in the thread (I don't have time to read the 19 pages now). What is the policy at hotels that have WiFi but the WiFi is offered through a third party? Is is free or not? Can the hotel only offer free internet access via the cable system in the room but deny WiFi access because it is a third party system? Probably just confused the crap out of everyone didn't I? ...
Addressed here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13447155-post175.html

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Mar 15, 2010, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Thanks William but evidently I am a little slow (jetlagged) today since I just got back from Germany last night. Can you clarify the quote for me please: (specifically the underlined portion)

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
In most places, it will cover either one; however, it should be noted that internet providers across the globe are not uniform in the manner in which they bill and fulfill their product delivery, so there may be some locations that ask you to chose one over another.
Based on this I should be able to chose one over the other and not be out of luck if I have a mobile device. Correct?
Old Mar 15, 2010, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
...Based on this I should be able to chose one over the other and not be out of luck if I have a mobile device. Correct?
Nope. The hotel may ask you to choose one over another if they cannot physically provide your alternative.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Mar 15, 2010, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC E, *G x2, BMI Silver, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, PC Platinum, Hilton Gold
Based on this I should be able to chose one over the other and not be out of luck if I have a mobile device. Correct?
A simple and relatively inexpensive solution to this problem is to purchase a device like an Apple Airport Express or similar device which creates a wireless network in your room, by plugging into the wired connection.

Also solves the problem of getting access with multiple devices simultaneously.

Compared to the previous cost of internet in the room in some location, it is a great investment in my opinion.

And you can also gain some karma points by opening up your connection for other people in the hotel who don't otherwise get free access!
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:30 pm

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by Golden Toque
And you can also gain some karma points by opening up your connection for other people in the hotel who don't otherwise get free access!
Brillllliant idea!

But one has to pray that the "free-for-all" wireless network is not access-limited.

[email protected]

Thyetus Lee | Online Forum Coordinator(AP)
Starwood Customer Contact Centre (AP) Pte Ltd
Old Mar 16, 2010, 5:58 pm

Programs: DL Plat/1M, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by saad
i think it will take a little bit of time before this becomes a pain free experience....while the managers at all properties are aware of the benefit, it seems like a lot of agents at the front desk are not....
I think the word has gotten around by now. I've just completed 3 stays (all Westin) in the past week and have received this benefit 3/3. Twice the front desk staff asked if I planned to use the internet and gave me a code, the third time I logged in with my name/room# but it didn't show up on my bill.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by ashi_seattle
I think the word has gotten around by now. I've just completed 3 stays (all Westin) in the past week and have received this benefit 3/3. Twice the front desk staff asked if I planned to use the internet and gave me a code, the third time I logged in with my name/room# but it didn't show up on my bill.
i'm not so sure....while i have not had a spg stay this month, i have a work colleague who has had about 5-6 stays so far this month....he says he had to let the front desk know about the benefit on a couple of occasions....the most recent was this monday....
Old Mar 17, 2010, 5:05 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by saad
i'm not so sure....while i have not had a spg stay this month, i have a work colleague who has had about 5-6 stays so far this month....he says he had to let the front desk know about the benefit on a couple of occasions....the most recent was this monday....
Within the past two weeks, I've completed stays at Le Meridien, Sheraton, and W. I've used the internet and no internet charges have appeared on folios.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
have 2 stays coming up before the end of this month....will report back....hopefully there should be no issues as others have mentioned....
Old Apr 7, 2010, 4:58 pm

Programs: AC-E, SPG-Plat, GP-P, HH-G
Just to let you know that I completed a stay at the Sheraton Wall Centre in Vancouver and used the internet. They have two options, slow and fast (cheap and more expensive). I selected the fast option and it showed on my folio. I called down to the front desk, who advised the slow option was the free PLat amenity, but they removed the charge in any event.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by jjbc
Just to let you know that I completed a stay at the Sheraton Wall Centre in Vancouver and used the internet. They have two options, slow and fast (cheap and more expensive). I selected the fast option and it showed on my folio. I called down to the front desk, who advised the slow option was the free PLat amenity, but they removed the charge in any event.
See William’s post #332 for the latest update on this issue.

[email protected]

Last edited by Starwood Lurker II; Jul 20, 2010 at 7:51 pm
Old Apr 7, 2010, 10:14 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Chirping In

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker II
I would suggest that in such situations, it would be best to enquire which is complimentary before making the selection. Appreciate that.

[email protected]

I was overseas in some fantastic SPG properties when the news broke
Was elated over the new SPG Plat policy as I had been staying with Hyatt GP to the point of avoiding some programs and brands based on their free internet luxrious complimentary breakfasts and frequently generous suite upgrades in recent times.
This gave me good reason to start rethinking moving some more business back to SPG again ^

With all due respect
I can't speak for all SPG customers but either internet is complimentary for Platinum members or it isn't.
If a hotel said to me you can have a choice between our slow poor performing sub par service that some find acceptable vs a quality high speed connection I would roll my eyes and be looking for another property and or brand in a hurry.
Its one thing to say you have a choice between wifi or cable connection fully understood and accepted based on the local provider availability/hotel arrangement.
We are in the year 2010 and quite frankly I would think less of any property budget or luxury that doesn't have high speed or reasonable quality standards for communication/internet.Email has virtually for many replaced the phone for leisure and business.
We have also been in the fiber optic era for years now in many cities even high speed is almost outdated.....
My opinion extends to hotels where I still pay for internet service too.

Now about that complimentary state of the art dial up service for Platinum members?
Thoughts all?
Old Apr 7, 2010, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
With all due respect
I can't speak for all SPG customers but either internet is complimentary for Platinum members or it isn't.

If a hotel said to me you can have a choice between our slow poor performing sub par service that some find acceptable vs a quality high speed connection I would roll my eyes and be looking for another property and or brand in a hurry.
Well, then we should let the property know that it is too slow for even its own website to appear on the screen. Just like when a guest reported over here that a property in a city isn't providing wireless internet access in their lobby whereas other SPG properties in the same city are doing so.

I would inform the management. Though the decision to upgrade or not still lies with the property but I seriously doubt they want to look bad on themselves when they find out that the cafe next door has wireless internet that is very much faster.

Just my 5 cents.

[email protected]

Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:00 pm

Programs: SPG>P & STARWOOD Privilege
In room access

An awesome PLAT perk for me as I can now enjoy more time in my room; without having to spend $ and the time in some Exec Lounges/Club Levels where internet access is comp.

Domo Arigato SPG!!!

This is my first post, so a newbie FTF 'howdy' to all...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.