FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - New Benefit for Platinum Members of SPG (free internet)
Old Mar 15, 2010, 1:59 pm
christianj

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Sorry if this has been mentioned in the thread (I don't have time to read the 19 pages now). What is the policy at hotels that have WiFi but the WiFi is offered through a third party? Is is free or not? Can the hotel only offer free internet access via the cable system in the room but deny WiFi access because it is a third party system? Probably just confused the crap out of everyone didn't I?

Specific example...checked into the LeMeridien Parkhotel in Frankfurt and asked about the free internet for Platinum members. Was told that the internet is free but only via the plug in internet access in the room. I inquired how this was supposed to work for those that only travelled with mobile devices like so many of us do. Basically they said that the WiFi was not free since it was handled via a third party and only the plug in service was free. After talking with the manager they gave me a 2 hour free card for the WiFi. The nice gesture from the hotel however does not address the issue moving forward IMHO. Has this happend to anyone else in hotels that offer WiFi via a third party? The next night I was at the Westin Grand Frankfurt and they said I was basicaly out of luck since they don't even have WiFi in the rooms (strange considering the place was just renovated recently). They told me if I could not connect via the plug in internet I was not going to get free internet service.

Again sorry if this has been discussed in the long thread. If so...maybe someone can lead me to the post that addresses this.

Last edited by christianj; Mar 15, 2010 at 2:07 pm