Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wishing there was more 2-3 star competition

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2009, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta SM, Marriott Plat , Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, IHG Spire
Wishing there was more 2-3 star competition

So I've started staying down in the Hampton Roads area much more often and I prefer to use Hilton or *Wood properties. Asides from the Aloft in Chesapeake, there are a few Sheratons in the area and one Westin, all on the Southside.

Hilton, in contrast, has tons of properties. From HGIs to a plethora of Hampton Inns, it seems that they are where I need to be. In fact I'm typing this tonight from the Hampton in Gloucester. I wish that Starwood would develop more 4 Points or Alofts or Elements. I'm not looking for the brands to be cheapened, but there must be a way to fill the niche of rooms around $100-130 bucks a night with free breakfast and internet.

I'm going to be Gold in HHonors soon, but I'd rather be with SPG. Just venting....
Old Oct 19, 2009, 9:49 pm

Hi Dreamworks,

Your comments have been made before by others.I prefer to stay at SPG properties because of service and not the rate.This seperates SPG from the pack in most cases.
If price was everything then we would all be at Motel 6.I understand if your budget does not allow a bigger range.Any Courtyard's in the area?
Old Oct 19, 2009, 10:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
All hotel chains can't be everything to everyone. In your case, Hilton serves your needs better, so that's where you should go.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 10:16 pm

Starwood is trying to develop the aloft and element pipelines but the global financial crisis is not helping much.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 11:00 am

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
All hotel chains can't be everything to everyone. In your case, Hilton serves your needs better, so that's where you should go.
I bet Starwood really appreciates you telling a customer that is expressing a desire for a product in his price/value range to take a hike.

Isn't that what the aloft and element properties are for?
Old Oct 20, 2009, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by DHAST
Isn't that what the aloft and element properties are for?
It is, indeed, but their (relatively few) locations and opening dates aren't exactly secrets. If a true frequent traveler is spending 20+ nights a year in locations with no Starwood (or a full-service Starwood where the co. travel policy or personal resources dictate more economy), one needs to find another hotel loyalty plan. It's as simple as that.

It's been a particularly trying week with numerous threads of the 'I wish Starwood had a 1000 more properties like Hilton/Marriott/ICH' vein.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 11:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by DHAST
I bet Starwood really appreciates you telling a customer that is expressing a desire for a product in his price/value range to take a hike.
Starwood is not stupid - they know perfectly well that they're not right for everyone even if they can't say it. However, since I don't work for Starwood, I can be honest about it.

It's like telling full-service airlines that they need to remove First and Business Class and become Southwest clones - that's just not what they're all about.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Starwood is not stupid - they know perfectly well that they're not right for everyone even if they can't say it. However, since I don't work for Starwood, I can be honest about it.
Given that this forum has a very visible presence from Starwood corporate, do you think it's unreasonable for customers to let them know that there are ways in which the company can improve their offerings?

It's like telling full-service airlines that they need to remove First and Business Class and become Southwest clones
That never stopped United from having United Shuttle/Shuttle By United and Ted, nor US Airways from having Metrojet. Yes, they failed, but they still tried. Likewise, Southwest may be a "no frills" airline, but they sure have been trying hard over the years to improve their image within the "business" traveler market. Companies know that they can "stand still" and ignore changes in the marketplace at their own peril. How else do you explain the addition of the aloft and element brands? And for that matter, WN's "A-List", Business Select, and what not?

that's just not what they're all about
Well, what is *wood all about? *wood is actually in a better position to diversify their holdings because they can (and do) offer different brands to different customer segments. The only airline that I can think of that ever tried to operate like that is United -- both with Ted and also with PS.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
It's been a particularly trying week with numerous threads of the 'I wish Starwood had a 1000 more properties like Hilton/Marriott/ICH' vein.
Perhaps, but much like customers have a choice in carriers and hotels, don't we have the choice in which threads to open and read, and which ones to skip?
Old Oct 20, 2009, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta SM, Marriott Plat , Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, IHG Spire
Thanks for all the comments, even the unhelpful ones.

If Starwood didn't have the Aloft, Element or 4 Points brands, then this would be a non-issue. My issue is that it is frustrating that the chain I want to support, is not where I want to be. They have 2-3 properties in Richmond and then 3-4 properties all in Chesapeake and Virginia Beach, and a vast nothingness.

And if you think that HGIs are coach compared to Aloft or 4 Points, then you're nuts. I stayed at the Aloft on Sunday night. The room was sleek, but a little dirty with some maintenance issues and the service was not great.

I stay at Starwood properties when I can. I just wonder if their plans are to dump all their brands in major population centers. From my business perspective, you lose a lot of loyalty customers who don't always visit large cities for work. That's all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.