FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Wishing there was more 2-3 star competition
Old Oct 20, 2009, 12:18 pm
DHAST

Programs: Chase Million Miler, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Starwood is not stupid - they know perfectly well that they're not right for everyone even if they can't say it. However, since I don't work for Starwood, I can be honest about it.
Given that this forum has a very visible presence from Starwood corporate, do you think it's unreasonable for customers to let them know that there are ways in which the company can improve their offerings?

It's like telling full-service airlines that they need to remove First and Business Class and become Southwest clones
That never stopped United from having United Shuttle/Shuttle By United and Ted, nor US Airways from having Metrojet. Yes, they failed, but they still tried. Likewise, Southwest may be a "no frills" airline, but they sure have been trying hard over the years to improve their image within the "business" traveler market. Companies know that they can "stand still" and ignore changes in the marketplace at their own peril. How else do you explain the addition of the aloft and element brands? And for that matter, WN's "A-List", Business Select, and what not?

that's just not what they're all about
Well, what is *wood all about? *wood is actually in a better position to diversify their holdings because they can (and do) offer different brands to different customer segments. The only airline that I can think of that ever tried to operate like that is United -- both with Ted and also with PS.