Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Maui: "Stay at one, Play at all" - points from none?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2009, 3:10 am
DCF
Original Poster

Programs: Etihad Guest

I'd appreciate advice from other FlyerTalkers before I try to claim points here, because I may be in the wrong.

I'm an owner at the Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas, and recently had my annual stay.

While I find it ridiculous, I know and accept that that doesn't count as 1 stay and 7 nights. (Which seems like a disincentive to own at the Westin and pay $2100 per year in management fees, when I could spend the money at the Ritz-Carlton down the road and get just as many Starpoints!)

But anyway, during my stay I spent around $600 which was charged to my room, of which 2 x $120 was under the "Stay at One, Play at All" scheme at two different restaurants at the Sheraton Maui - the steakhouse and teppanyaki restaurant. I also paid $65 to have my room cleaned at the Westin during my stay.

I therefore presumed that I'd get Starpoints for at least that $305 spent at Starwood restaurants and charged to my Westin room, and for having the room cleaned - it's them who choose to unbundle cleaning costs, not me. If I spent say $200 on a room at a Sheraton I'd expect to get Starpoints on all $200, rather than them saying that $15 was for servicing the room so only $185 of the room rate qualifies.

I was a little taken aback, then, when my stay posted a total of 14 Starpoints plus 7 Platinum ones, presumably for a drink I'd ordered by the pool at the Westin.

Should I have got the Sheraton to award Starpoints for my two meals there rather than charge them to my Westin room? Are the Sheraton restaurants ineligible for Starpoints?

Any advice gratefully received.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 9:13 pm

I don't know how that program works, but the restaurant charges (less alcohol) might be eligible. I don't think i would expect anything for the cleaning. That's a timeshare operation.

Anyway, ask about the restaurant charges. I know that when I lived in Princeville and used to go the Princeville resort a lot, any alcohol was not considered to be eligible, and I think that's a state of Hawaii thing. But, it's been a while.

-David
Old Oct 6, 2009, 10:48 am

Programs: Mucci (for services to Gin), VS Au, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis Pref+, Hertz 5*
Uh? Ritz-Carlton = Starpoints? Is that something new or did you mean Ritz points or whatever they are called...
Old Oct 6, 2009, 11:52 am

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by tony2x
Uh? Ritz-Carlton = Starpoints? Is that something new or did you mean Ritz points or whatever they are called...
I didn't think Ritz-Carlton had a frequent guest program. Other than supposedly being able to redeem Marriott Rewards points, I think the only other frequent guest recognition is at the discretion of local management for frequent guests of the local property.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 12:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by tony2x
I read that to mean that the same amount of money could be spent down the road at the Ritz and the same number of Starpoints would be earned there as are currently earned at the Westin Villas -- zero.

In other words, why not create an incentive, in the form of Starpoints, for people to buy and stay at Westin timeshare properties, as opposed to those of competitors.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 4:50 pm
DCF
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
I read that to mean that the same amount of money could be spent down the road at the Ritz and the same number of Starpoints would be earned there as are currently earned at the Westin Villas -- zero.

In other words, why not create an incentive, in the form of Starpoints, for people to buy and stay at Westin timeshare properties, as opposed to those of competitors.

That's exactly what I meant.

Now that I use one week of leisure vacation time each year at my Westin timeshare (which I bought direct from SVO) I actually obtain 1 fewer Stay and 7 fewer Nights towards Platinum requalification than if I just stayed at a Sheraton hotel, so my Westin purchase makes it harder to requalify for Platinum status.

At the very least, they should offer SVO timeshare owners checking in the option of paying an extra $20 per night for Night and Stay credit, although to be honest I think every week of used SVO ownwership should give I Stay Credit and 7 Nights credit.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 4:58 pm

I'm sure they made it very clear when you decided to purchase your 20k - 50k+ plus yearly MFs timeshare unit, what you could do/get in terms of starpoints/SPG, and stay/night credit was never, ever on the table. Right?

You could always sell your timeshare and then rent the unit from Starwood (like a hotel room, but much more expensive) and get your stay and night credits if that's what's important to you.

Did you buy from the developer? The units at that resort are very expensive.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Oct 6, 2009 at 5:07 pm
Old Oct 21, 2009, 5:10 am
DCF
Original Poster

No points for charges to your room from other Starwoods

Well, I have now had it confirmed by my marvellous Starwood Platinum Ambassador (whom I would like to thank).

Apparently in Hawaii the "Stay at One, Play at All" program does let you charge eligible charges (e.g. meals) at other Starwood hotels to the Starwood you're staying in, BUT the hotel where you are paying your bill won't award Starpoints for those meals.

I'm struggling a little to understand this, as it would appear to mean that a guest at, for example, the Westin Maui earns no more Starpoints by eating at the Sheraton than at the Marriott or Hyatt next door. The only benefit, if it can be called that, is that you can charge the meal to your room, but in doing so you wave goodbye to the Starpoints for that meal.

It's a shame, because for SPG members "Stay at One, Play at All" has been steadily devalued this decade. Most SPG members presumably stay on the "35% off rack rate plus 1 free night packages". Until three or four years ago, all meals at other Starwoods (except Kapalua Bay) also included the 35% discount, but now that is rarely applicable and when it is is usually only at the property you're staying at.
Old Oct 21, 2009, 6:04 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by DCF
Well, I have now had it confirmed by my marvellous Starwood Platinum Ambassador (whom I would like to thank).

Apparently in Hawaii the "Stay at One, Play at All" program does let you charge eligible charges (e.g. meals) at other Starwood hotels to the Starwood you're staying in, BUT the hotel where you are paying your bill won't award Starpoints for those meals.

I'm struggling a little to understand this, as it would appear to mean that a guest at, for example, the Westin Maui earns no more Starpoints by eating at the Sheraton than at the Marriott or Hyatt next door. The only benefit, if it can be called that, is that you can charge the meal to your room, but in doing so you wave goodbye to the Starpoints for that meal.

It's a shame, because for SPG members "Stay at One, Play at All" has been steadily devalued this decade. Most SPG members presumably stay on the "35% off rack rate plus 1 free night packages". Until three or four years ago, all meals at other Starwoods (except Kapalua Bay) also included the 35% discount, but now that is rarely applicable and when it is is usually only at the property you're staying at.
You can always show your SPG card at the restaurant and pay at the restaurant and receive your SPG points even if you are not staying at the Starwood hotel associated with the restaurant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.