Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Which *A program is the fastest way to gold?

Which *A program is the fastest way to gold?

Old Mar 1, 2009, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your great input! People say for example you can earn Gold with Singapore for 50'000 points but don't you need to earn Silver first, then the points reset and then 50'000 on top of that?

Yes, it is typical I fly 3 times per year from Australia to Europe. At least 2 times, and sometimes 4 times.

Thanks everyone I'm a little confused now though! haha.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by maestro1981
People say for example you can earn Gold with Singapore for 50'000 points but don't you need to earn Silver first, then the points reset and then 50'000 on top of that?
50,000 miles in 12 months. See this link for more information.

The Star Alliance Gold Chart linked to from this thread compares all the *A Gold Benefits and status qualification criteria.

The three easiest *A Gold are:
AC - 35k in a calendar year. Valid up till Mar next year?
OZ - 40k in 24+1 months since registration. Valid for up to 48+1 months
TK - 40k in 12 months. Valid for up to 24mths.

The *A Gold with the best earn/burn is:
BD - 57k, 38k within 12 months after qualifying for *A Silver. Valid for 12 months?

You might also want to consider whether the value of redemptions or status in case of irregular operations, is more important. Also consider the expiry date of the earned miles and the % of mileage bonus for elites. Finally, consider the value of lifetime status.

If irrops occur, generally status on the airline you're flying is more valuable.

If you want good value redemptions, generally BD has the best value redemptions in *A.

See this thread or this thread for a summary of lifetime status. 30-50 return trips from Australia to Europe, should get you lifetime status.

Last edited by futaris; Mar 1, 2009 at 4:06 am
Old Mar 1, 2009, 3:37 am

Programs: BA, Marriott & SPG, Hilton, Avis
BD requires a total of 57k to hit Gold. Status is then valid for a year.

Then once you have achieved 55k status miles as a Gold, any status miles over this are converted to destination miles. BD also give a 25% base mileage bonus on destination miles on all *A flights.

The only concern is that within the next few years, BD diamond club may be converted to Miles & More, as Lufthansa is now the primary share holder.
Old Mar 1, 2009, 5:11 am

Yes, it is typical I fly 3 times per year from Australia to Europe. At least 2 times, and sometimes 4 times..
Ah ha!.

Now you are starting to play the game of averages.

Typically 3 times per year, sometimes 4 times no problem. 3 times per year will see you achieve 50k per year, and you will renew at Gold Status with KrisFlyer. 4 times per year you will renew easily with a couple of thousand miles surplus.

At least 2 trips a year Oops. Suddenly youre borderline. Depending on the dates of the flights, and the dates required for membership renewal you may fail to achieve 50k in the current membership year and the required Gold status. Averaged over the years, and taking into account the years you flew 4 trips per year, you probably deserve to achieve Gold Status unfortunately that ain't the way it works. You failed to achieve 50k this membership year, therefore youre downgraded. If youre lucky and have sufficient time you can perhaps book a flight to NZ or Asia to log the required miles, otherwise you suffer until you hit a good year and achieve the 50k balance.

I sympathise with your position. Im enrolled in Krisflyer and average 50k per year. Unfortunately Im running short of miles this year and will not achieve Gold status renewal (and lack sufficient time to do anything about it). Next year looks like being a good year for me - Ive got a couple of long haul flights scheduled in quick succession and at this point am looking to open an account and booking them to Asiana. I should be able to achieve Diamond (Star Alliance Gold) fairly quickly and will take advantage of the lounge access (up to 4 years) under this scheme. Once I achieve Diamond status I will direct miles to Krisflyer. In 3 years or so before my Diamond status expires I will review my position again If Im traveling well and am confident of logging 50k miles to Krisflyer that year fine, otherwise Ill look at utilising Asiana to gain another 4 years of lounge access.

Thanks everyone I'm a little confused now though! haha.
Only a little confused ? Heck youre doing well !
Old Mar 2, 2009, 1:53 pm

Programs: FB Gold (E+),TK Elite(*A Gold)
As already written above I consider TK as the best option especially because the status is valid for 24 mnths.
I know however that is not easy to spend miles...but I consider the other benefits as the most important.

Old Mar 2, 2009, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by Squerez
As already written above I consider TK as the best option especially because the status is valid for 24 mnths.
I know however that is not easy to spend miles...but I consider the other benefits as the most important.

OZ requires 40k in 24 months for qualification and the status is valid for 24+a months. As A_Lee mentioned already, the status can be valid anywhere between 24 months and 48 months depending when one qualifies OZ*G. Hence I think it's a trashy program. OZ*G and TK*G are the two most undeserving *Gs.

Air Asia - Now everyone can fly
Asiana - Now everyone can become *G
Old Mar 2, 2009, 11:13 pm

Programs: TG ROP Gold, Lifetime OZ Diamond Plus, BA Gold
Originally Posted by N227UA
OZ requires 40k in 24 months for qualification and the status is valid for 24+a months. As A_Lee mentioned already, the status can be valid anywhere between 24 months and 48 months depending when one qualifies OZ*G. Hence I think it's a trashy program. OZ*G and TK*G are the two most undeserving *Gs.

Air Asia - Now everyone can fly
Asiana - Now everyone can become *G
I'm confused. You think it's a trashy program because it has potentially one of the longest validity periods, and for some of the fewest miles? How does that make it trashy? Many would agree with it not being the best program with respect to earn/burn ratio. So in exchange for easy qualification and long validity, you trade off some in how far your earned miles will go. It all depends on what you want out of a FFP.

If you just want a *G card, OZ could be excellent if not the best. If you just want to earn miles towards free trips, then OZ is probably not so good. If you never fly OZ then it won't offer you any extra perks. If you do fly OZ a lot, as I do, their FFP can provide some excellent perks. For me, it's an excellent program, but I certainly wouldn't recommend it to just anybody, and even for myself I don't use it exclusively as it's earn rates for C and F are very poor compared to the likes of BD or LH's programs.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 6:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, SA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, IHG Plat, AA Exec Plat
It seems that, on balance, UA is best (for both earning and redeeming), especially if you normally fly Y (or lower Econ classes). You never have to worry about what class you fly to get 100% of the miles, and redeeming is still a good deal in my opinion (TK, for example, required 5K more miles to redeem a saver North American or Hawaiian award than UA). I always redeem for Saver Awards as a rule, and I've gotten my desired flight almost everytime I wanted to (about 2-3 NA Savers a year, an occasional Hawaiian saver, or South American saver -- I never redeem for Europe).
Old Mar 3, 2009, 6:52 am

Programs: BA, Marriott & SPG, Hilton, Avis
Originally Posted by tennisboy
It seems that, on balance, UA is best (for both earning and redeeming), especially if you normally fly Y (or lower Econ classes).
Redeeming with UA on other *A partners, I believe is very difficult since UA try to restrict awards to UA. If you are based in the US, its not too much of a problem, but if you are in Europe then its a much bigger deal.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 9:56 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Usually when I fly to Europe I will fly with one of the following carriers...

Most Often: Singapore Airlines
2nd: Thai Airways
3rd: Lufthansa
4th: Air China
You need to be very careful with your booking classes. Always check which booking class you are on, and maybe spend a bit more to get to a higher booking class. I just checked accrual for you between Turkish Miles&Smiles and Asiana Club, and Asiana Club comes out slightly ahead in terms of mileage by booking class. Since Asiana also allows two years to accumulate the flights, this is maybe a good programme for you as it will allow you to keep your status even in years where you fly less.

However Asiana Club is not such a good programme if you fly business or first class, or on short flights. Also, redemptions are not great. But to keep *G, perfect.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 12:40 am
Original Poster

hehe wow thank you everyone for your wonderful help and feedback :P what a raging debate.

i'd like to clarify a few things hehe.

- I currently have Miles & More Silver (expires Feb 2010) but I've had issues redeeming points and also the Silver perks are not great for the routes that I fly.
- I have redeemed points before but not on Lufthansa, I only redeem points usually for use on other Star Alliance carriers
- At present I only ever fly Economy Class

Maybe this info above will help It looks like UA, OZ and TK are looking good. I am concerned with SQ because on their website it says you must make Silver (25,000) and then a further 50,000 for Gold (=75,000?).

Another question I have... if I become a Gold *A member and therefore can access lounges, if I am travelling with a guest who is not a Gold member, can I invite them to the lounge with me?

Thanks everyone for your amazing help! You have no idea how happy and appreciative I am to you all

Daniel.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 12:48 am

Another question I have... if I become a Gold *A member and therefore can access lounges, if I am travelling with a guest who is not a Gold member, can I invite them to the lounge with me?
Yes, generally. See the Star Alliance Lounge Access Policy:

Star Alliance Gold Customers Travelling in Any Class: Customers have access to any Star Alliance member carriers' owned lounges with the Star Alliance Gold logo at the entrance.
  • Customer must present a valid frequent flyer programme Star Alliance Gold level card
  • Customer must also present a boarding card for a same day Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport
  • Customer is entitled to one guest
  • United and US Airways Star Alliance Gold customers may only access the Red Carpet Club and US Airways Clubs within the U.S. when travelling in conjunction with a Star Alliance international flight.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 2:25 am

I am concerned with SQ because on their website it says you must make Silver (25,000) and then a further 50,000 for Gold (=75,000?).

Daniel.
Heck, my head is starting to hurt.

I think I probably made Silver in my first year, and then progressed to Gold the following year. However, as I understand it you can make Gold in one year by earning 50k miles in the appropriate class:-

"What are the qualification criteria for the different tiers of membership?

KrisFlyer Elite Gold

A membership upgrade to KrisFlyer Elite Gold status is attained by earning 50,000 Elite miles any class of service on Singapore Airlines, SilkAir or any Star Alliance airline during your 12-month Elite qualification period, and crediting them to your KrisFlyer account. In this case, an Elite qualification period is a 12-month period which is tracked from your date of enrolment as a KrisFlyer member, or membership upgrade to Elite Silver."

I've bolded the bits of the rule which seem to support the 50k in one year rule and are particularly relevant to your situation.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 3:17 am

I just wanted to remind you that as Elite member on TK (*Gold) you are allowed to buy miles to maintain your status.

Definetly also a "plus".

Of course everyone should decide the programme from his oder her pesonal needs. For me, TK is in all points "OK" and as I am frequently in IST the benefits from being Elite (separate passport control, separate entry to the airport) also count for me personally.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by MLang2
I just wanted to remind you that as Elite member on TK (*Gold) you are allowed to buy miles to maintain your status.
Ah, I just saw this on www.thy.com:

Elite Card holders can purchase up to 10.000 Status Miles enabling them to maintain their membership status. This transaction can be done at any Turkish Airlines Sales Offices against EUR 24 for every 1.000 Status Miles. The amount paid for the Status Miles cannot be refunded.
The Star Gold Chart also mentions it.

I think it's the only *A program that will let you buy the EQM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.