Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Lufthansa/Star RTW fares back again from OZ - $A1599 ($US1040) + tax

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2003, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

These are back on the market here again.

They have been on an off the market before, but might appeal to someone!

------------------
~ Glen ~

Come visit HERE the most ** FRIENDLY FORUM ** on FlyerTalk. No flame wars, no personal abuse, no substance abuse. Not much of anything really!
Old Jul 30, 2003, 5:50 pm

Hi Oz, this is a regular LH RTW fare ex Australia and has always been on the market.

As quoted on the BestFlights newsletter 31 July 2003:

"This has been around for about 2 years. As usual Best Flights were the very first agent to feature these 2 years ago, and by the time competitors had picked up on it, we had sold hundreds, and still do every week. "

You will be able to also see it regularly at this page:
http://www.bestflights.com.au/cgi-bi...indetails=2017

As always, you can get flightcentre to match and get it for A$1579 + taxes. http://www.flightcentre.com.au

For folks who may be interested in a slight variation, could try this *A deal as well with Lauda and Air New Zealand, around the same dates at $1799 (again with Flightcentre, down to $1779):

http://www.bestflights.com.au/cgi-bi...indetails=2029

[This message has been edited by kawoh (edited 07-31-2003).]
Old Jul 30, 2003, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Kawoh .. I know it has been on the market before but not "always" as LH have as you doubtless know and Best Flights often remind us, been pulled without notice AFAIK. I was just stating it is now back.
Old Jul 31, 2003, 8:06 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
Sorry but Ozstamps don't believe everything best flights tells you. It's baloney. These fares have been there since 2002 odd, Indeed the current version's dates go back to March or May 2002 IIRC.

I'd say the only real reason best flights is hyping it up is the $1579 (or whatever) fare is unusually low for low season. In high season it has been around the $2295 mark, but the same general fare has been around for ages.

This is absolutely nothing new and it has not been pulled since it started (and I know because I have been monitoring various fares, with this being one of them, every week or so for the past year or more).

Incidently travel.com.au have had a banner for the lower season fare up for about the past 2 weeks.

Incidently the sniping in the best flights newsletter this week really was a bit of a PITA considering the LH fare had been promoted elsewhere over a week before their newsletter, but lets not let the facts get in the way of a really good gripe!

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.

[This message has been edited by RichardMEL (edited 07-31-2003).]
Old Jul 31, 2003, 4:27 pm

Just got another email from bestflights, they've now reduced the fare EVEN further!:

A$1539 round the world, plus if you go to flightcentre (http://www.flightcentre.com.au) they can ticket it for you for A$1519!! mmmm... getting more an more tempting, just need time off work... how about a RTW in 4 days?

http://www.bestflights.com.au/cgi-bi...indetails=2030

Pretty cheap way to 26,000 status miles, two RTW's and you'll get some pretty good status on many *A airlines.

Old Jul 31, 2003, 5:48 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Am I correct to assume that these fares are only in economy and for max. itineraries of 26,000 miles (ie. no Star2 and Star3's possible)...?
Old Jul 31, 2003, 9:06 pm

gaucho, im really not sure about biz class or first but i'm sure if you contacted LH SYD they would be able to advise.

re mileage, it's actually limited to certain routings and isn't limited on mileage but on the routing (for *A), ie EX SYD or MEL via BKK (TG) SIN (SQ) or HNL/YVR (AC) or LAX/SFO (UA) then the rest on LH YVR, SFO, BKK, SIN to FRA. Then from FRA to anywhere in Europe that LH flies (2 sectors allowed) then back the other way (ie if u started in Asia, back via N/America, or if via N/America then back via Asia). You can buy extra LH sectors intra Europe for about I think A$160 or something per sector or something.

Anyone have any idea the long LH sector is in Europe? Based on an itiniery:

SYD-SFO-FRA-NICOSIA (Cyprus?) [do LH fly here?]-FRA-BKK-SYD works out to be around 26,000 status miles.

Also you can open jaw with this anywhere LH fly from FRA to North America on LH metal (or vice versa), ie SYD-SIN-FRA-JFK xx LAX, SFO or YVR-SYD (if YVR, via HNL).

Old Jul 31, 2003, 11:21 pm

LH doesnt fly to Nicosia. FRA-MLA(Malta) is 1024 miles and FRA-IST is 1158 miles.
Old Aug 1, 2003, 12:33 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, LH SEN *, HH Gold
I don't think anyone flies to Nicosia anymore. Isn't the airport closed since many years? If you want to get to Cyprus, LH does fly to Larnaca.
Old Aug 1, 2003, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The LH paper timetable I picked up in FRA last week shows Larnaca.
Old Aug 1, 2003, 3:11 am

Programs: QF Platinum One (LTG), UA Plat IHG Plat
Yes, there are C and F version of this fare! The C(well D class ) version is actually quite a sweet deal if it fits what you need for travel. IIRC it's around AUD $6800 which is ~$2k less than a CRWSTAR1 published fare (yes, I am aware the Star fare gives you far, far more flexability).
Still, if I won the lottery and had a spare $6k to throw around I'd seriously consider this fare as it would give you a SQ D sector, LH D sectors (upgradeable to F w/ UA miles or SWU) and a UA D sector (upgradeable to F w/ UA miles or SWU).

very nice.

There's also a hybrid version I saw at one stage, which offered paid LH F on the LH sectors and D class on the others. IIRC it was around the $8800 level or perhaps a bit more, but honestly not sure if that one is still around. That would be be great incentive to join M&M

ADDITIONAL INFO!!!!

$6874 for the C class fare, HOWEVER:

low season price: $5299 (!) just released yesterday (31 July) for travel from today 1-Aug, until 04.... Either AP/AP (via US) each way (ie: UA D class via LAX/SFO, LH D class to europe) *or* a RTW using TG to BKK, then LH to Europe va FRA, then back home via LAX/SFO. Sweet!! ie: LH/UA to europe for $5200 + tax WITH premier bonuses and upgradeability (and you don't have to touch TG) is sweet. UA's fare to europe from oz is almost twice this at $10,001.

And, I now quote the fare rules:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
* B U T WAIT!-THERE'S MORE!! AN ADDITIONAL RETURN
SIDETRIP FROM FRANKFURT TO THE MIDDLE EAST CITIES
OF ALEXANDRIA/AMMAN/BEIRUT/CAIRO/CASABLANCA/
LARNACA/TRIPOLI/TUNIS/OR TEL AVIV MAY BE PURCHASED
FOR AN EXTRA -
AUD1035GROSS# FOR BUSINESS CLASS; OR
AUD1415GROSS# FOR FIRST* CLASS;
(AS APPLICABLE TO CLASS OF FARE/TICKET PURCHASED).
MAXIMUM OF TWO FLIGHT COUPONS ONLY IS PERMITTED).
(FIRST CLASS CABIN MAY NOT BE AVAILABLE ON ALL
LUFTHANSA FLIGHTS TO/FROM MIDDLE EAST)
</font>
note above: LARNACA.

There are a few other variations that are more expensive, but my god that's a ripper of a deal I reckon. It's also available as an A fare for $7189 (!).

------------------
RichardMEL, UA 1K
A Star Alliance Member.

[This message has been edited by RichardMEL (edited 08-01-2003).]
Old Aug 3, 2003, 9:09 am

That's an awesome deal for RTW, if only they included intra-US on UA.
Old Aug 3, 2003, 8:41 pm

Can someone give a link to the rules of this fare? travel.com.au only comes up with the fare with the link (which doesn't have rules), not a regular search for a RTW (which does).

thanks
goodo
Old Aug 3, 2003, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

goodo - The Best Flights website used to have a decent run down of the rules if that helps!
Old Aug 4, 2003, 12:40 am

Is everyone aware that this fare (according to the Best Flights link) is via North America only BOTH ways?

goodo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.