Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Best airline choices for Germany-AKL-SYD-Germany

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2003, 11:58 am
Original Poster

What airlines would you recommend for flying Germany-AKL-SYD-Germany in C?
I'm considering flying westbound all the way (GER-USA-AKL-SYD-GER).

Would a RTW ticket make sense?

Old Jun 8, 2003, 5:51 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by flyer2day:
What airlines would you recommend for flying Germany-AKL-SYD-Germany in C?
I'm considering flying westbound all the way (GER-USA-AKL-SYD-GER).
Would a RTW ticket make sense?
</font>
Oh absolutely a special RTW makes sense if you want to go westbound all the way. Far cheaper than a mileage RTW but may not be as cheap as a special Euro-AKL return (via either USA or Asia).
As for "best" airlines, it's all conjecture. Even the most renowned can still deliver a bad flight if the crew is bad and spoil the experience for you. There are some that are consistently nominated as favourites though.
Your choice should also factor in the "accruing miles" rules of your own FF scheme. If your host FF only allows x percent of miles on a certain carrier, then you'd take the option of the carrier that earns you x and y percent as a greater return to yourself.
From USA to AKL you really only have one choice in * and that's NZ. While the seats and comfort factor are antiquated compared to many other * carriers, their service is renowned, although I can't personally see the attraction in that aspect on a overnight flight. You can't see the FA's smile under closed eyelids after all, and all you want to do is sleep, so the service factor is negated!!
From AKL to SYD you can choose between NZ and Thai.
FRA to USA you could use SQ if LH doesn't float your boat and internally on UA.
From SYD back to Europe, you could look at SQ TG NG or OZ or any manner of connections in between. This is of course if you end up with a *RTW.
If you don't have that many stops to make, you will find some RTW's with just 2 or 3 carriers involved, which dictates really what carriers you can select.
As a general rule, it's generally agreed that SQ LH NG SK and AC are the better business class in * counting overall factors, but others like UA have some plusses like good seating/comfort on long haul, even though on a overall experience they rate poorly.
Old Jun 8, 2003, 8:43 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
I'd recommend getting a (Germany)-VIE-SYD-AKL award. There is a direct flight VIE-SYD (not 3 region, since it is one flight no., even though it stops somewhere).
Old Jun 8, 2003, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by attorney28:
I'd recommend getting a (Germany)-VIE-SYD-AKL award. There is a direct flight VIE-SYD (not 3 region, since it is one flight no., even though it stops somewhere).</font>
KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA.

Old Jun 9, 2003, 12:04 am

You could try Asiana in C -

Germany-ICN-SYD

Then SYD-AKL on either TG or NZ - much of a muchness of this flight as it's quite short, but i'd go for NZ on a 744 if u had the chance. If it's a mix and match award, perhaps you could do NZ one way, TG the other.

[This message has been edited by kawoh (edited 06-09-2003).]
Old Jun 10, 2003, 11:55 am

I would recommend getting a cheapie from Germany-CAI and from CAI get a C/J RTW. I don't think you can get it any cheaper than that.
Old Jun 10, 2003, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

Here are some more facts, that I should probably have provided when I started the threat:

* This is a business trip paid by my company, so it's not my intention to find the cheapest ticket.
* I'm looking for the best options concerning seat comfort and service
* If possible I would like to use some LH miles or a couple of 50k vouchers to upgrade parts of the trip to F.

Any feedback is appreaciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.