Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Rule question & where to buy in CAI

Old Jun 8, 2003, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA *G MM

Surface sectors: Intermediate surface sectors permitted at passenger's expense, but mileage for surface sectors must be included in the maximum permitted mileage calculation. If a surface sector attracts more than one TPM the lower applies.

This is a bit unclear to me. I have my RTW worked out (see below) and thanks a million for all the good info on this site. I want to head down to the south island of NZ but that would put me above 29k. So, I thought I would do CHC-SYD and fly AKL-CHC on my own dime. However, the way I read the above rule, it would still put me over. So, I would have to fly AKL-CHC-AKL on the side. Also, could someone decipher/ clarify the last sentence.

I expect that I would just go to the LH ticket office in CAI. (Anyone have the hours offhand?) My plans beyond IAD are wide open but do I have to come up with preliminary dates when I book it? I.e. can the latter part of the ticket be left "open"?

11 segment path: 28787 mi
CAI (3004'N 3114'E) FRA (5001'35"N 0832'35"E) 1813 mi
FRA (5001'35"N 0832'35"E) IAD (3856'40"N 7727'21"W) 4080 mi
IAD (3856'40"N 7727'21"W) LAX (3356'33"N 11824'29"W) 2288 mi
LAX (3356'33"N 11824'29"W) NAN (1727'S 17716'E) 5514 mi
NAN (1727'S 17716'E) AKL (3700'29"S 17447'30"E) 1355 mi
AKL (3700'29"S 17447'30"E) SYD (3356'46"S 15110'38"E) 1344 mi
SYD (3356'46"S 15110'38"E) SIN (0121'21"N 10359'15"E) 3907 mi
SIN (0121'21"N 10359'15"E) BKK (1354'45"N 10036'24"E) 893 mi
BKK (1354'45"N 10036'24"E) CPH (5537'05"N 1239'21"E) 5352 mi
CPH (5537'05"N 1239'21"E) FRA (5001'35"N 0832'35"E) 423 mi
FRA (5001'35"N 0832'35"E) CAI (3004'N 3114'E) 1813 mi

Old Jun 8, 2003, 5:34 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gnaget:
Surface sectors: Intermediate surface sectors permitted at passenger's expense, but mileage for surface sectors must be included in the maximum permitted mileage calculation. If a surface sector attracts more than one TPM the lower applies.

This is a bit unclear to me. I have my RTW worked out (see below) and thanks a million for all the good info on this site. I want to head down to the south island of NZ but that would put me above 29k. So, I thought I would do CHC-SYD and fly AKL-CHC on my own dime. However, the way I read the above rule, it would still put me over. So, I would have to fly AKL-CHC-AKL on the side. Also, could someone decipher/ clarify the last sentence.
</font>
You are correct - if you arrive at AKL and depart from CHC, the miles between the two are counted as part of the mileage limit, however the combined segment is counted as only one stopover under number of stopovers rule, although both cities are then negated for further stops as both count as a city stop under stops in city rule. The last part of the rule is for those routes where two global routing TPM's may apply. It does not involve your itinerary, but to briefly explain, you could go SYD-LHR via the EH routing or the AP routing (or TS or AF for that matter!). Both have different TPM's, so the lowest applies to the calculation of miles.
Air NZ have a new domestic fare structure in place and you will find, particularly with the excellent exchange rate of the NZD against nearly every other currency in the world, dirt cheap rates to do AKL-CHC-AKL return as a seperate ticket. DO NZ still offer their NAN-CHC nonstop? Does that help your mileage calc at all? You will need to check the rules for your own FF to see if these new NZ domestic flights qualify for miles. If they don't, then Qantas NZ also offer some excellent cheap deals as well also via their website.
And no, you don't have to nominate dates for sectors that are further into the booking from the first sectors. They can be open dated and exact dates can be booked in at a later time for free. If you change your routing however, then a re-issue fee applies. Pending the country of purchase the only flights that must be nominated are up to the first international leg or up to the first intercontinental sector.
Cheers.

Old Jun 8, 2003, 5:35 pm

(Somehow duped post. Patron, please delete!!!)

[This message has been edited by Al B (edited 06-08-2003).]
Old Jun 8, 2003, 8:05 pm

Programs: QR Plat
Working with IT-related communications I thoguht I was good at the TLA-game, but what is the meanings, in this context, of TPM, AP, EH, TS and AF?

Old Jun 8, 2003, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gnaget:
..I expect that I would just go to the LH ticket office in CAI. (Anyone have the hours offhand?) My plans beyond IAD are wide open but do I have to come up with preliminary dates when I book it? I.e. can the latter part of the ticket be left "open"?

</font>
Yes the latter part of the ticket may be left open but the routing cannot be changed if you want the mileage to remain the same. Once you reroute, your mileage will be different.

An alternative to issuing RTW's in country of origin is to have them issued before you get there. STAR Alliance RTWs must be issued 7 days prior to departure. You may issue the ticket in CANADA prior to your arrival in Cairo. The fare will be charged at the same ex-Cairo rate as you would if you issued there. If you cannot get to Canada yourself.. LH will not send you the ticket to USA, you can go through the services of Canadian travel agent.

Old Jun 8, 2003, 11:07 pm

Programs: TSA/INS/FBI Platinum (stopped last 12 of 13 int'l returns - the computer broke once)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ph-ndr:
Working with IT-related communications I thoguht I was good at the TLA-game, but what is the meanings, in this context, of TPM, AP, EH, TS and AF?

</font>
As I understand them:

TPM = Ticketed Point Mileage (was: Total Permitted Mileage)
MPM = Max Permitted Mileage

I see TPM as how much you've got a ticket for, and MPM as how much you're allowed to get a ticket for. Thus, mileage runners are trying to push TPM as close to MPM as possible.

Routing types:
AP = Asia-Pacific
EH = Eastern Hemisphere
TS = Trans-Siberian
AF = Africa

I got the routing types from http://www.groupcolleges.edu.au/enot...ileo/Unit8.pdf or made an educated guess.

Edited to correct TPM and add my TPM/MPM comment for better clarification.

[This message has been edited by StSebastian (edited 06-09-2003).]
Old Jun 9, 2003, 12:53 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Guy Betsy:
Yes the latter part of the ticket may be left open but the routing cannot be changed if you want the mileage to remain the same. Once you reroute, your mileage will be different.

An alternative to issuing RTW's in country of origin is to have them issued before you get there. STAR Alliance RTWs must be issued 7 days prior to departure. You may issue the ticket in CANADA prior to your arrival in Cairo. The fare will be charged at the same ex-Cairo rate as you would if you issued there. If you cannot get to Canada yourself.. LH will not send you the ticket to USA, you can go through the services of Canadian travel agent.
</font>
I distinctly read in the FAQ that 7 day advance was only for USA or North America.
Old Jun 9, 2003, 1:04 am
Original Poster

Al B, thanks for your detailed explanation. No NAN-CHC non-stop according *A timetable. Yes, NZ fares are cheap. I was looking for one-ways with 1 day notice. NZD 90 non-ref and no miles. NZD 150 flex ticket with miles accrual.

Also, regarding rerouting. If my original ticket reads LAX-NAN-AKL-SYD and I decide, screw it, I am going straight LAX-SYD then that would not be a reissue?
Old Jun 9, 2003, 7:14 am

Also, regarding rerouting. If my original ticket reads LAX-NAN-AKL-SYD and I decide, screw it, I am going straight LAX-SYD then that would not be a reissue?</font>
In the case you described above, it would indeed be a reissue. LAX-NAN is only operated by NZ and LAX-SYD is only operated by UA (NZ pulled off the route a couple of months back). Change of routing and change of carrier, so a re-issue at USD100.00 will need to be made. If you wanted to skip NAN though, am sure NZ would accept both coupons as one trip LAX-AKL as a "re-val", so FOC.
Cheers.

Old Jun 9, 2003, 7:18 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by StSebastian:
TPM = Total Permitted Mileage
MPM = Max Permitted Mileage
</font>
Give the man a cigar !!
TPM is almost spot on - it's Ticketed Point Mileage, or more simply the mileage between two ticketed points. Total TPM's on a journey is the sum total of all the various TPM's added together. These cannot be over the MPM allowed for the fare or routing.
( Some exceptions and deductions apply. It is IATA after all. Can't be making everything easy and straight forward !!! ).
Cheers.
Old Jun 10, 2003, 11:44 am
Original Poster

I distinctly read in the FAQ that 7 day advance was only for USA or North America.</font>
Could someone confirm that I am correct on this?

There was an article in the IHT about RTW tickets. It was presumably wrong in claiming that the best deals are in BKK at USD 3800 in C. It recommended this outfit in CAI:

Soliman Travel i CAI, 95 Farid Semika
St. Heliopolis, CAI tel nr 202- 6350-350 email [email protected]

But I would prefer to deal directly with LH.

Old Jun 10, 2003, 12:23 pm

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, Bonvoy LT Titanium
Could someone confirm that I am correct on this?

There was an article in the IHT about RTW tickets. It was presumably wrong in claiming that the best deals are in BKK at USD 3800 in C. It recommended this outfit in CAI:

Soliman Travel i CAI, 95 Farid Semika
St. Heliopolis, CAI tel nr 202- 6350-350 email [email protected]

But I would prefer to deal directly with LH.

</font>
Just walk into LH office, the address and opening times are on the website. They open Sun-Thur, very helpful. It has the advantage that they do not have to refer back to anyone in case of doubt, like a travel agent.

Read my trip report

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum81/HTML/003766.html

Old Jun 10, 2003, 12:43 pm

There wouldn't be any SQ or UA offices in CAI by any chance?
Old Jun 10, 2003, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Spider:
There wouldn't be any SQ or UA offices in CAI by any chance?</font>
The *A offices at CAI are LH, OS, and SQ.

------------------
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
Old Jun 10, 2003, 3:24 pm
Original Poster

http://cms.lufthansa.com/eg/fly/en/c...265719,00.html

Rats, my flight gets in at 1850. It would be nice to do it at the airport when I arrive so that I don't have to trek to this office.

I love the departure times ex CAI on LH. On my dates, 0155 and 0330! I suppose the good thing is that you can connect to the US same day unlike OS. Also, traffic might be relatively light to the airport!

SQ flies DXB-CAI three times a week in case anyone is curious why they have an office there. This is a good option for someone who, e.g., can't afford the 1800 miles back to CAI from FRA at the end of the RTW.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.