Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

United global first 747-400 or Air Canada business 787 Dreamliner?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2016, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

I currently have United first global for FRA-SFO as part of our route to PDX, for 80k miles one way; I can see now that Air Canada Dreamliner business class is available FRA-YVR and then going into PDX, for 70k one way; is there any sense in switching? The 10k doesn't mean much in savings, I am wondering if one is a better experience than another?

I only flew Lufthansa first in the past, FRA-SEA old config, so I have no other experience to compare to.

Thanks for any insight.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 4:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You'll have more space and better food (IMO) on the UA flight. And the 744s are being retired relatively quickly while the 787s will be around for a while.

Up to you if that's worth 10,000 points.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, sounds like I will hold on to my UA global first tickets
Old Dec 8, 2016, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I flew 4 long haul segments last year in AC J. I personally quite like the AC 787 business seat and felt their food & service was better than UA. Having said that you'll have the new Polaris food by then, could tip the scales for UA, but AC does a good job there.

The other thing I like about AC over UA is clearing US immigration in Canada (pre-clearance) vs in the US itself. It's a much more pleasant experience compared to the zoo at many US airports (even for US citizens).

The one downside to AC is that I assume YVR-PDX is a Dash-8. I was stuck on a couple of those YVR-SEA, the ride is very pretty since it's all low altitude but I don't love the plane itself.

Whether all of that is worth it to you or not depends on your past experience with 747's. I can't count how many times I've been on a 744 now due to my past heavy Asia-USA travel. I've flown UA GF as well and sure it's nice but still ranks as nothing special for me. If you've never flown a 744 or want to see how mediocre UA's version of International First Class is, then of course go for it as the remaining time is very limited.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 6:17 am

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
Since this is GF, I assume UA would be nicer. And, yes, the 747s are being retired.

This being said, I liked J in AC 787. It is a nice seat. Only thing I don't like: the screen is not in front of you, it needs to be deployed. Which means needs to go back in the odd angle for taxi, takeoff and landing.

I would not ride a B787 in Y, however.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 6:53 pm

Programs: LHSen UA1K VAGold QFSilv HHon Diamond ShangrilaJade Radisson Gold SPG Gold Marriott Gold Hertz Presi
No brainer !!! Use United GF before its extinct!!! use to love it from Melbourne and Sydney to SFO on 747-400 and 777-200 before they f__d it up with Continental Business First on the 787-900 AC onboard is as bad as it lounges on ground

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.