Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Connecting Partners

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2016, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Hi

Does anybody know anything more about this? http://www.staralliance.com/news-art...ticleId=606874

In Particular I'm looking at what airlines might join and what benefits are there for star gold customers e.g. lounge access

Thanks
Old Jan 9, 2016, 4:41 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by bevan7
Hi

Does anybody know anything more about this? http://www.staralliance.com/news-art...ticleId=606874

In Particular I'm looking at what airlines might join and what benefits are there for star gold customers e.g. lounge access

Thanks
Thanks for posting this. It seems like *A benefits will not universally apply but instead benefits will be individually negotiated.

Customers travelling on an itinerary which includes a transfer between a Star Alliance member airline and a Connecting Partner will be offered Alliance benefits such as passenger and baggage through check-in. Moreover, Star Alliance Gold Card holders will enjoy a tailored set of privileges in line with the different product offerings of the individual Connecting Partner.
Connecting Partners will enter into bilateral commercial agreements with selected Star Alliance member airlines, which may include additional Frequent Flyer Programme based privileges.

I wonder if this will be rolled out to non-*A subsidiary airlines (e.g. Silk Air)?
Old Jan 10, 2016, 2:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Saw this a while ago and meant to post myself before New Year but never got around to it.

The launch airline is Mango with South African. I really hope they go further and put SA Express and Airlink in as well.

In the big picture it's a small win since customers can get some benefits when they have connecting flights on these airlines... but the downside is that now we can expect that these airlines will never become full members with regularized benefits. (SA Express, Silk Air, etc). The connecting partner benefits are only on connecting itineraries, not standalone, so flying RGN-SIN will not count on MI if SQ puts then into this program nor would CPT-JNB on Mango (not looking up the code now, on mobile).

I can see airlines like Mango not becoming full members, but those like Airlink, SA Express, Silk Air, it's a disappointment.

At some point I wouldn't be surprised to see Azul in here, even with O6 in *A now, Azul is much bigger. Good chance of CAs regional affiliates as well.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I think this is a really interesting idea and I hope it expands to lots of other airlines. It could do with a bit more publicity though, than just the mention in the Lufthansa inflight magazine that I saw. I am one of these that thinks Adria Airways and Croatia Airlines would fit better with this concept, rather than as full Star Alliance members.

I spent an interesting half hour browsing the Mango airlines website:

www.flymango.com
Old May 8, 2016, 4:53 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by Concerto
I think this is a really interesting idea and I hope it expands to lots of other airlines. It could do with a bit more publicity though, than just the mention in the Lufthansa inflight magazine that I saw. I am one of these that thinks Adria Airways and Croatia Airlines would fit better with this concept, rather than as full Star Alliance members.

I spent an interesting half hour browsing the Mango airlines website:

www.flymango.com
OU and JP are not LCCs and have biz class as well as lounges. JE on the other hand is an LCC co-owned by SA (comparable to VY) and has few frequent flier benefits.
Old Dec 23, 2016, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
It would seem that the next associate Star Alliance airline is Juneyao Airlines of Shanghai, which I have never heard of. It operates out of both Shanghai airports.

http://www.juneyaoair.com/en/

Some more detailed reading here, where I am not sure if Mango is still a partner of not:

http://centreforaviation.com/analysi...-member-307269

It mentions that the deadline for Mango being implemented as a member has long passed, and now Juneyao Airlines will be the first implemented member. I thought that Mango had been part of the deal all along. The article goes on to mention that it would make sense to make Eurowings a connecting partner, too.

Last edited by Concerto; Dec 23, 2016 at 4:21 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.