Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Star Alliance Gold Track (new common *A branding for Premier security)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance Gold Track (new common *A branding for Premier security)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2016, 8:44 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, TK Elite +, Hilton Diamond
Any idea on if the Gold Track is being implemented at JFK and LGA?
Old Sep 9, 2016, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Used this for the first (and only) time at LHR in July as *G flying SK (to OSL).

My parents were departing a bit earlier on a UA flight in Y back to the US (no status for either of them). I didn't realize there was a limit to guests when approaching the queue (nor did I see any mention of it anywhere - I just saw the Fast Track sign and went towards it).

The gate dragon only let one of my two parents through - looking at FT it's clear that is the rule (again first time using it and didn't realize there was a limit) but given that no one else was in the fast track queue and they were clearly my parents (same last name) - she could've found it in herself to let it slide to save my poor Dad having to go spend 10 minutes in the regular security queue to catch back up with us.

Note: I would've given it up and let my parents both go through and gone in the regular line but that wasn't allowed per the gate dragon because I was the one with *G.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 11:59 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Priority security at AMS T1/T2/T3 as *G is a hit or a miss. Mostly they ask if travelling in business? Even *G with Y bp get turned away because above the security checkpoint it says for First/Business only. Only on their rulessheet does it include *G in Y, so you might need to point it out. Guest excluded at 99% of the times due to the upstairs automated bp scan.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 2:11 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by HadesNL
Priority security at AMS T1/T2/T3 as *G is a hit or a miss. Mostly they ask if travelling in business? Even *G with Y bp get turned away because above the security checkpoint it says for First/Business only. Only on their rulessheet does it include *G in Y, so you might need to point it out. Guest excluded at 99% of the times due to the upstairs automated bp scan.
At MIA terminal J they denied me access because I was in TK Y and *G, she said "Business only" Even if I showed my *G card and the Gold Track sign with the same *A G logo.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 9:38 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Does anyone have experience with guests in Narita? Similarly, with "regional" airports in China? Specifically wondering if I'm likely to have issues with 2 guests, or whether I should stick to one guest, or no guests (in which case I'd just use the normal lines with my guests).

Along the same lines: how about *G checkin with guests in Narita (all separate tickets), and priority boarding (again, separate tickets)? All flights on NH.

Also, I just discovered that gold track might be expanding to immigration soon:
"There is even more to look forward to as Star Alliance will extend the benefit to offer Gold Track immigration services at a dozen airports worldwide by the end of 2016."
http://www.staralliance.com/en/web/s...nce/gold-track

Last edited by televisor; Oct 1, 2016 at 10:01 am
Old Oct 25, 2016, 2:33 pm

Flew through NRT in early Sept 2016. It was a PVG > NRT > DEN flight pattern. Went ANA on the PVG > NRT leg.

Landed, went up an escalator, and immediately hit the transfer security gate. That gate looked like it would handle about 50-75 passengers ... or about 1/4 of our plane's passengers. There wasn't really anywhere to go, either.

It turns out that there were 2 lines: normal and Fast Track. Of course, nobody could actually see those signs as we were dumped from the escalators into a pile of bodies. And, there were no checks or people. So, there were quite a few *G people who were pissed, because the lines just got overwhelmed. They just became two general lines, not a normal an Fast Track line.

Wasn't the passengers' fault. By the time the mess cleared enough to see the Gold Track sign, you would have been in line for 15+ minutes. Nobody's jumping out of line at that point ... particularly since nobody was manning any of the lines.

One of the worst people management scenarios I've seen.

So, that's how NRT works from an international transfer perspective. Enjoy!
Old Oct 30, 2016, 7:52 am

Programs: AC,OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by 67L48
Flew through NRT in early Sept 2016. It was a PVG > NRT > DEN flight pattern. Went ANA on the PVG > NRT leg.

Landed, went up an escalator, and immediately hit the transfer security gate. That gate looked like it would handle about 50-75 passengers ... or about 1/4 of our plane's passengers. There wasn't really anywhere to go, either.

It turns out that there were 2 lines: normal and Fast Track. Of course, nobody could actually see those signs as we were dumped from the escalators into a pile of bodies. And, there were no checks or people. So, there were quite a few *G people who were pissed, because the lines just got overwhelmed. They just became two general lines, not a normal an Fast Track line.

Wasn't the passengers' fault. By the time the mess cleared enough to see the Gold Track sign, you would have been in line for 15+ minutes. Nobody's jumping out of line at that point ... particularly since nobody was manning any of the lines.

One of the worst people management scenarios I've seen.

So, that's how NRT works from an international transfer perspective. Enjoy!
Does that process depend on your incoming/destination country? I flew YYZ > ORD > NRT > SIN earlier this year and did not have any issue at all, don't even remember having to check through security for the transfer.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by izikk
Does that process depend on your incoming/destination country? I flew YYZ > ORD > NRT > SIN earlier this year and did not have any issue at all, don't even remember having to check through security for the transfer.
According to this page _all_ transfers are supposed to go through security, although I've never flown US->NRT->elsewhere. Could be that that page is wrong.

http://www.narita-airport.jp/en/secu...ection_ss.html

I definitely arrived on the non-clean side when arriving from both mainland china, and mainland europe.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 8:06 am

Programs: AC,OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by televisor
Does anyone have experience with guests in Narita? Similarly, with "regional" airports in China? Specifically wondering if I'm likely to have issues with 2 guests, or whether I should stick to one guest, or no guests (in which case I'd just use the normal lines with my guests).

Along the same lines: how about *G checkin with guests in Narita (all separate tickets), and priority boarding (again, separate tickets)? All flights on NH.

Also, I just discovered that gold track might be expanding to immigration soon:
"There is even more to look forward to as Star Alliance will extend the benefit to offer Gold Track immigration services at a dozen airports worldwide by the end of 2016."
http://www.staralliance.com/en/web/s...nce/gold-track
I was a part of a group of 5 flying out of NRT on AC. Three people were in J, and two of these people had Super Elite 100K status on AC. The other two people were in Y with no status. Group checked in together at the Super Elite counter and there were no problems with that. They even gave priority baggage tags to the two people in Y. Did not attempt to bring the guests in through the Gold Track security lane (but the airport wasn't too busy so it was only a 5-10 minute difference anyway).

Later on, at the boarding gate, the two SE100K's saw someone at the gate whom they were familiar with (she was formerly the SE100K concierge), chatted with her a bit, and she then let the entire party of 5 board immediately, before everyone else in J lol.

Granted this probably isn't going to be a typical *G flyer's experience and is highly airline dependent, so I'm not sure how it will work on NH. I think you will probably be fine with a guest (or maybe two) at the check-in counter, but not sure if they will be as lenient with the guests in the security lane and boarding.

On another note, interesting to see the Gold Track lane applying to immigration as well. Would be a nice complement to having TSA Pre-check/global entry/NEXUS outside of North America, and might even make having one of those trusted traveler program a bit less valuable within NA. But of course, there are still some benefits that those programs offer above a faster queue, and the Gold Track will never be as prevalent across NA airports as the trusted traveler programs.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 4:02 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Apparently Gold Track now includes immigration at ADD, AMS, BNE, CAI, CDG, DME, IST, MEL, SAW, and SYD according to http://www.staralliance.com/en/gold-track-immigration -- curiously, only ADD and CAI have Gold Track for arrivals immigration. Additionally, it's limited by terminal. CDG-2A, where AC flies from, doesn't have Gold Track, for example. It's only CDG 2B/C, which basically only serves AI. How helpful...
Old Nov 28, 2016, 9:48 am

Programs: OZ Diamond *A Gold / Delta Gold
Originally Posted by pewpew
Apparently Gold Track now includes immigration at ADD, AMS, BNE, CAI, CDG, DME, IST, MEL, SAW, and SYD according to http://www.staralliance.com/en/gold-track-immigration -- curiously, only ADD and CAI have Gold Track for arrivals immigration. Additionally, it's limited by terminal. CDG-2A, where AC flies from, doesn't have Gold Track, for example. It's only CDG 2B/C, which basically only serves AI. How helpful...
Same for JFK, OZ is excluded cause it's in T4 and apparently, the Gold Track is for T1 and T7.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by pewpew
Actually I think it works in all CDG terminals. CDG has what they call Access 1ere which accepts any business class ticket from any airline as well as elite status. But it is possible that you may be asked to show your physical elite card.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 9:14 am

Programs: UA
LHR, able to guest 1.
IAD, has a line, no one to enforce it and feeds into the standard line. TSA please implement Pre for connections.
Old Nov 30, 2016, 9:24 am

My second time through NRT was a bit of a mess: queue extended far beyond the signs, luckily I arrived at the security area just as the queue was starting to outgrow the signed area, so I still got into goldtrack. No checking of status though. All my other transits, security has been fairly empty (there seem to be 2-3 separate security areas for transfers in NRT, I wonder if walking around to find an emptier checkpoint is worthwhile)?

For departures SFO is well signed and enforced, LHR is extremely well enforced but not as well signed, it's also well segregated.

ZRH didn't have any *G signs the last time I went through. They have a priority/business/first lane, which I was able to use as *G (enforcement only when it's busier), I'm not sure if they used to state *G in the past.

Gold track would have been really nice in TPE though, they had absolutely no priority, except for e-gates for citizens. That said, the security and border queues moved quite fast, so it didn't feel like a bad wait.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.