Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Which FFP to use next year: LH or CO?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which FFP to use next year: LH or CO?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2009, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: SkyTeam: AF/KL Gold. Star Alliance: CM Gold; AV Gold; UA. OneWorld: BA Sapphire
Originally Posted by slashd0t
If all you are really after is Star Gold, then Air Canada's Aeroplan Elite I think is the easiest (35,000 miles or 50 segments).
Well, I'm mainly interested in 2 things:

1) Being Star Gold so I get lounge access even when travelling in Y.

and

2) Maximising my chances of getting comp. op-ups as often as possible.

Being Star Gold with AC, TK or OZ would definitely give me access to point (1) above, but not to (2) as I am not planning to fly on them at all.

The airlines I'm most likely to be flying frequently next year are CO, LH, LX, TAP and SpanAir.

I already have Gold status for the whole of next year on both LH and CO... But I won't be able to keep it on both and am trying to choose one.

LH M&M doesn't give me unlimited comp upgrades (which CO OP does) but M&M does give me access to lounges when flying domestically in the US (which OP doesn't). So it's a pretty tough call.

I thought that the determining factor in my decision should be how easy it is to maintain Star Gold status. And so far, it seems easier to do so with CO than with LH, although I haven't really been able to compare the details of minimum status miles granted by either airline for each fare class... Any thoughts?
Old Nov 4, 2009, 1:59 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by skyteamelite
Well, I'm mainly interested in 2 things:

1) Being Star Gold so I get lounge access even when travelling in Y.

and

2) Maximising my chances of getting comp. op-ups as often as possible.
The Op-Ups usually only happen on the carrier of the FFP. So status with CO will only get you upgrades on CO etc (simplified, there are exceptions like the UA SWUs).

If you fly enough, how about this idea:

Join OZ and use CO. After 40,000 miles you have *G with OZ which will give you lounge access in the US. This status is valid for 2-4 years depending on how quick you get the 40k miles.
Then put everything to CO and get status there with your upgrades.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 10:47 am

Programs: AA EXP
I am a Y flyer SEN. I need to choose a program for 2010 as well (M&M is not really a good Y program and I have it till 2012 anyway). I was considering UA becasue you get 6 international upgrades (M&M gives you a lousy 1...). Need to look at CO as well, don't know their program.

I have received multiple op-ups on BMI (as well as M&M native programs)

I doubt I will have a problem staying gold on UA
Old Nov 9, 2009, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SkyTeam: AF/KL Gold. Star Alliance: CM Gold; AV Gold; UA. OneWorld: BA Sapphire
Originally Posted by seaskybound
Need to look at CO as well, don't know their program.
The great thing about CO's OP is that you get unlimited comp upgrades on all domestic, North and Latin American flights (except for Brasil and Argentina)... No miles, coupons/vouchers or cash payment required. As long as you're elite and there's seats available in their business cabin, you'll be upgraded!

I wonder if this will change now CO is getting closer to UA...
Old Nov 9, 2009, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seaskybound
M&M is not really a good Y program

WHICH IS THE BEST *A PROGRAMME FOR A Y-FLYER TO REACH AND MAINTAIN GOLD STATUS?

I guess it would probably be either TK or OZ... But which of the two? And how would UA and CO score in this sense?
Old Nov 10, 2009, 3:02 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by skyteamelite
WHICH IS THE BEST *A PROGRAMME FOR A Y-FLYER TO REACH AND MAINTAIN GOLD STATUS?

I guess it would probably be either TK or OZ... But which of the two? And how would UA and CO score in this sense?
It depends. OZ is good because status can be valid for a long time but a lot of booking classes earn no miles at all so you need to watch carefully. And they have lifetime status. TK is good because it has a very low requirement for re qualification and you can even buy status miles in case you need some.

Of the "conventional" programs, UA is also good for *G. Relatively easy to reach, lots of booking classes count and you get some benefits on UA. Disadvantage is that you need to re qualify every year and no lounge access for domestic US.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Of the "conventional" programs, UA is also good for *G. Relatively easy to reach, lots of booking classes count and you get some benefits on UA. Disadvantage is that you need to re qualify every year and no lounge access for domestic US.
One thing I haven't figured out now that UA and CO both belong to the same alliance and are getting closer is how complimentary upgrades are going to work...

Have I understood correctly that UA has embraced the CO model of unlimited complimentary upgrades on domestic (and some international) flights for UA Gold elites?

If that is the case, will UA Gold elites be entitled to this unlimited comp upgrades on both UA and CO flights, and vice versa (CO Gold Elites will be entitled to free unlimited upgrades on eligible CO AND UA flights?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.