Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > Star Alliance
Reload this Page >

Which FFP to use next year: LH or CO?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which FFP to use next year: LH or CO?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2009, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SkyTeam: AF/KL Gold. Star Alliance: CM Gold; AV Gold; UA. OneWorld: BA Sapphire
Question Which FFP to use next year: LH or CO?

I have been flying SkyTeam airlines for the past few years and am Gold on both AF/KL Flying Blue (Elite +) and CO OnePass (Elite). I was not 100% happy with them, so I got a status match to LH Miles and More Senator a couple of months ago.

Because CO is moving to Star Alliance, and (I presume) CO/OnePass Gold will be comparable to M&M SEN in terms of benefits and privileges (will it?), which FF Programme should I be using next year, to make sure I keep my Gold/SEN status in following years?

For the time being, it seems to me easier to maintain Gold status with CO than SEN status with LH but will this change?

In terms of flight patterns, I fly mainly in paid Y (always hoping for op-ups, which CO has been particularly good at!), many segments a year, but not necessarily very long ones (many intra-Europe, intra-North America or intra-South America), and a few transatlantic.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With Senator status still good for 2 years (IIRC), you could go for CO on the off year and this way profit from both FFPs.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: SkyTeam: AF/KL Gold. Star Alliance: CM Gold; AV Gold; UA. OneWorld: BA Sapphire
My SEN status on M&M is currently only valid until FEB 2011.

I'm re-qualifing Gold with CO OnePass again for next year, but I suspect that too will only be valid until FEB 2011 (unless OnePass changes its rules with the transition to *A, but I doubt it...)

So unfortunately I think I will have to pick either OP or M&M next year... any suggestions on which one I should stick to?
Old Oct 17, 2009, 9:58 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
LH gave you a status match from CO Gold to LH SEN?

Wow. You must have been lucky. CO Gold is the equivalent to LH FTL. The equivalent to LH SEN is CO Platinum. CO Gold will not get you into lounges once they join *A. My guess is that this will become their Star Alliance Silver status

The program to chose depends on many things: What do you want from a program? Where do you fly? How often? Which class?

LH is great if you fly a lot in paid C and F and take flights within Europe. It is good for two years and gives you lounge access even when flying in the US. CO is better when you want upgrades on US domestic flights and often fly Economy.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: PWP Postmaster General, :rolleyes: Sapphire, UA GS, and Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
LH gave you a status match from CO Gold to LH SEN?

Wow. You must have been lucky. CO Gold is the equivalent to LH FTL. The equivalent to LH SEN is CO Platinum. CO Gold will not get you into lounges once they join *A. My guess is that this will become their Star Alliance Silver status
CO Gold will be Star Gold.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 6:41 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by FT Lurker
I stand corrected then. And I am speechless. So a status which didn't give any lounge access on Skyteam will now have full access on *A? Luckily LH increased their lounge space dramatically in the last 12 month.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 8:49 am
Original Poster

Thought so. So I'm guessing sticking to CO/OP will probably be an easier way for me to make sure I keep qualifying for *A Gold...

Especially considering I tend to fly mainly in paid Economy... always welcome any op-ups, and complementary lounge access helps a lot!
Old Oct 19, 2009, 9:50 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Luckily LH increased their lounge space dramatically in the last 12 month.
Not their SEN (*G) lounge space at FRA.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: PWP Postmaster General, :rolleyes: Sapphire, UA GS, and Marriott Plat
I stand corrected then. And I am speechless. So a status which didn't give any lounge access on Skyteam will now have full access on *A? Luckily LH increased their lounge space dramatically in the last 12 month.
New alliance, new rules.

As a frequent poster on the CO board would say, Change has come to Continental.

^
Old Oct 19, 2009, 5:59 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

New alliance, new rules.

As a frequent poster on the CO board would say, Change has come to Continental.

^
I hope CO is expanding their lounge space now with tons of CO Golds being able to use them on int itineraries.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold + 1MM; HHonors Gold; Marriott Plat
I hope CO is expanding their lounge space now with tons of CO Golds being able to use them on int itineraries.
Not to mention all the UA and US *G who can also access the CO lounges on their intl itens. With 3 US (of A that is, not the airline) based airlines in *A, I think lounge space is going to be a big issue in the US.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Something I haven't been able to figure out is whether Lufthansa and Swiss offer any benefits/perks/advantages to M&M SEN which are NOT available to other *A GOLD FFs flying on them...

Anyone know this? (Benefits exclusive to SEN passengers and NOT other *A GOLD members)?
Old Nov 1, 2009, 4:11 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
If all you are really after is Star Gold, then Air Canada's Aeroplan Elite I think is the easiest (35,000 miles or 50 segments).
Old Nov 1, 2009, 8:16 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by skyteamelite
Something I haven't been able to figure out is whether Lufthansa and Swiss offer any benefits/perks/advantages to M&M SEN which are NOT available to other *A GOLD FFs flying on them...

Anyone know this? (Benefits exclusive to SEN passengers and NOT other *A GOLD members)?
- Anytime lounge access (canceled on 1 Oct)
- Priority waitlist
- eVouchers
- Companion Award
- SEN Premium Awards
- Waitlist for award tickets
- Free credit card (depending on country).
- Reservation of exit rows

There might be more but that's by list for the day.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 8:18 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by slashd0t
If all you are really after is Star Gold, then Air Canada's Aeroplan Elite I think is the easiest (35,000 miles or 50 segments).
Generally TK and OZ are considered to be even easier than that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.