Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

Lisbon and Barcelona in February? Where to stay and early departure?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lisbon and Barcelona in February? Where to stay and early departure?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2020, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by OskiBear
It's also a great approach into LIS if you are arriving by plane. They seem to fly right over the river and the central part of town - stunning views. Get a window seat if you can. While in LIS you can clearly see the planes on approach.
I'm not sure about the climb out after taking off (took the train) but the approach is great!
Does it matter whether I sit on the left or right side of the plane?
Old Jan 8, 2020, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
On my flight, I seem to recall that I was on the right side of the plane (coming from LHR) and we came in over the river, then sort of flew east/northeast on approach to land. I would imagine the view is good from both sides, but perhaps those who are regularl travelers into LIS can better advise.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 6:52 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by lsquare
Does it matter whether I sit on the left or right side of the plane?
It depends on the wind. In winter, the winds can vary. Check wind conditions on windguru and/or flight paths on FR24. That can obviously change around sunrise/sunset and at other times during the day.

Normal traffic pattern - you approach to land from the south, and you get nicer views from the right side of the plane (though the left side isn't all that bad either, depending on where you're coming from). Of course, the best view is from the cockpit but the pilots are busy working with a heavy crosswind, so they don't have time to pay attention.
On takeoff north - you get a great view of Oriente and that area. If your flight is heading south or west (Africa, S. America, N. America), then you get a great view of the city as the plane makes a right turn over the river.

Southerly wind traffic pattern - you approach to land from the north and then you get no view. On takeoff you get an awesome view from the left side of the window as you take off. The right side is not bad, but nothing to write home about.
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.