Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Spain/Portugal/Gibraltar
Reload this Page >

Lisbon and Barcelona in February? Where to stay and early departure?

Lisbon and Barcelona in February? Where to stay and early departure?

Old Jan 3, 20, 7:18 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Posts: 8,448
Lisbon and Barcelona in February? Where to stay and early departure?

What do you guys think of either Lisbon or Barcelona in February? Is it a good time to visit with decent weather?

So here's the problem. For the flights that I'm looking at, they're departing out of either Lisbon or Barcelona between 5:30 AM and 6:30 AM. That's really early in the morning. Does Lisbon or Barcelona have transit to the airport in the early hours of the morning?

Given my departure times, which Marriott, Hilton, or Hyatt properties should I consider staying at?

Thank you!
lsquare is online now  
Old Jan 3, 20, 8:32 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: ORD
Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 5,302
The weather depends on where you're coming from. I was in Lisbon in the winter and it was 50 F. Not what I'd consider warm but beautiful compared to the 25 F weather in Chicago at that time.

For flights that early, I'd ALWAYS suggest taking a taxi/rideshare. It's the fastest way, and I never want to get up any earlier than I have to for early flights. I'm sure your hotel can help arrange a ride in advance for you if you need them to.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend staying at an airport hotel just because of those flight times. From the tourist areas in either Lisbon or Barcelona you'll be within about 20 minutes from the airport by taxi at that time of day, so you maybe save yourself all of 10-15 minutes.
lsquare and pbiflyer like this.
JBord is offline  
Old Jan 3, 20, 5:47 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Long Beach, CA
Programs: AA PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Gold
Posts: 3,078
Just coming back from Lisbon and Porto, I'd echo the advice above. I used Uber quite a bit and it was really inexpensive (or maybe the distances were really short). The airport in Lisbon isn't far from town so totally worthy just taking a taxi/Uber to get there that early in the morning. We took the metro from airport to hotel primarily because our hotel literally was on top of a metro stop, but I regretted it in the end. It required a transfer, lots of stairs up/down (there didn't seem to be escalators in the stations for transferring), which was a pain.
lsquare likes this.
OskiBear is offline  
Old Jan 3, 20, 8:14 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Jupiter, FL
Programs: DL PM, Starwood Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Silver
Posts: 20,625
Was in both places in January. Temps required a light jacket in the day. A light jacket and sweater at night.
lsquare likes this.
pbiflyer is offline  
Old Jan 3, 20, 8:57 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,019
People who live in Lisbon wear warmer coats than most Americans would in January and February. That is because most homes are not heated to American standards so once get chilled outside, you don't warm up so easily inside. It is often a damp, unpleasant 50s in those months. Sintra is colder than Lisbon and damper. Like anywhere, it feels warmer if the sun is out. I had a quilted jacket I would wear for 50's at home, but some days I would have to layer up under it with all I had, a cashmere sweater and my french terry jacket. I have stayed at the Sheraton, which is very nice, and the Holiday Inn Continental, which is just OK. Getting to a 5:30 or 6:30 AM flight, the traffic would not be a problem from either one, but from the Tryp and Star Inn at the airport you can walk to the terminal. For an 8:00 or 9:00 AM flight, the traffic would be bad.
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by Tizzette; Jan 3, 20 at 9:11 pm
Tizzette is offline  
Old Jan 3, 20, 10:48 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Posts: 8,448
Originally Posted by JBord View Post
The weather depends on where you're coming from. I was in Lisbon in the winter and it was 50 F. Not what I'd consider warm but beautiful compared to the 25 F weather in Chicago at that time.

For flights that early, I'd ALWAYS suggest taking a taxi/rideshare. It's the fastest way, and I never want to get up any earlier than I have to for early flights. I'm sure your hotel can help arrange a ride in advance for you if you need them to.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend staying at an airport hotel just because of those flight times. From the tourist areas in either Lisbon or Barcelona you'll be within about 20 minutes from the airport by taxi at that time of day, so you maybe save yourself all of 10-15 minutes.
I don't understand why you wouldn't recommend an airport hotel since the departure time is so early? If there is an airport express then that should make it easy to reach the city center?
lsquare is online now  
Old Jan 4, 20, 8:38 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NYC
Programs: AA Platinum (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
Posts: 437
Barcelona will likely have high temps around low 50s to 60 degrees F (~11-15C) and lows in the 40s (4-8 C). Could be a bit warmer or very slightly colder but doesn’t vary a ton.
The Aerobús runs around the clock. If you want to do that before a very early flight, then stay either by Plaça Catalunya or Plaça Espanya - there are MANY hotels in close proximity to both. The cost of Aerobús is €5,90 one way or €11,20 RT.
Otherwise a taxi that early will take around 20 minutes and cost maybe €30-35.
I wouldn’t waste my time the night before switching to an airport hotel, or alternately waste my time and convenience throughout the trip staying at an airport hotel and coming into the city. Not for an extra 15 minutes sleep.
pbiflyer and lsquare like this.
spainlover is offline  
Old Jan 4, 20, 1:04 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Posts: 8,448
Originally Posted by spainlover View Post
Barcelona will likely have high temps around low 50s to 60 degrees F (~11-15C) and lows in the 40s (4-8 C). Could be a bit warmer or very slightly colder but doesn’t vary a ton.
The Aerobús runs around the clock. If you want to do that before a very early flight, then stay either by Plaça Catalunya or Plaça Espanya - there are MANY hotels in close proximity to both. The cost of Aerobús is €5,90 one way or €11,20 RT.
Otherwise a taxi that early will take around 20 minutes and cost maybe €30-35.
I wouldn’t waste my time the night before switching to an airport hotel, or alternately waste my time and convenience throughout the trip staying at an airport hotel and coming into the city. Not for an extra 15 minutes sleep.
Which Marriott, Hilton, or Hyatt properties are worth staying in those two areas?

Taxis take credit cards?

Thx bro.
lsquare is online now  
Old Jan 4, 20, 8:32 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NYC
Programs: AA Platinum (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
Posts: 437
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
Which Marriott, Hilton, or Hyatt properties are worth staying in those two areas?

Taxis take credit cards?

Thx bro.
Female, so not a bro
I only know Marriott/former Starwood ones. The Renaissance and Le Meridien are both a few minutes walk from Plaza Catalunya. Yes, cabs take credit cards although should check to be sure before getting in (they're required to accept, but just to be safe).
lsquare and HalconBCN like this.
spainlover is offline  
Old Jan 5, 20, 3:20 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Posts: 8,448
Originally Posted by spainlover View Post
Female, so not a bro
I only know Marriott/former Starwood ones. The Renaissance and Le Meridien are both a few minutes walk from Plaza Catalunya. Yes, cabs take credit cards although should check to be sure before getting in (they're required to accept, but just to be safe).
Thank you and sorry for not addressing you properly.

Have you stayed at the Renaissance and Le Meridien before? Good elite recognition?
lsquare is online now  
Old Jan 5, 20, 5:06 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NYC
Programs: AA Platinum (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
Posts: 437
If staying in a hotel (sometimes I stay with friends or in Airbnb), I often stay at the Le Méridien because their treatment as elite has always been stellar - upgrades to 2-room suites, occasionally invites to special events like a paella cooking class, etc. I’ve only stayed at the Renaissance once, and it was fine but didn’t make a huge impression. The location is perfect, though.
lsquare and pbiflyer like this.
spainlover is offline  
Old Jan 6, 20, 6:23 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: ORD
Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 5,302
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
I don't understand why you wouldn't recommend an airport hotel since the departure time is so early? If there is an airport express then that should make it easy to reach the city center?
I'm not suggesting you take mass transportation in either direction. Rather, taking a taxi at 4 or 5 am will be quick and easy, much simpler and faster than a train. It will cost a few Euros more for sure.

So your options are:

1) Stay at the airport hotel. You'll basically waste a couple hours switching hotels to an area that you're not all that interested in, and take your transportation the day before you leave rather than the morning you leave. Instead you could be spending your last night in a fun neighborhood, even if you do go to bed early . The next morning, you'll wake up and have to find some type of transportation to the airport terminal (train, shuttle, taxi, etc.).

2) Stay at a hotel where you can enjoy your last evening. Get up at the same time (maybe 5-10 minutes earlier) you would at the airport hotel, with an arranged ride that drops you off right at your terminal. You won't have to waste time switching hotels, and you'll only have to transport to the airport once (vs. airport area hotel and then airport).

The point I'm making is that in these cities you're really saving very little, if any, time by staying at an airport hotel for a 6 am flight. So why bother? That said, there are other factors like hotel cost that might come into play which only you can determine. For example, you may save a little money staying at the airport hotel on your last night.
lsquare likes this.
JBord is offline  
Old Jan 6, 20, 1:55 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: somewhere between Europe and Africa, from SFO
Programs: A3*G, EY Silver
Posts: 8,063
Anywhere in Lisbon to LIS is a 15-20 min uber/bolt ride that won't run more than 10-15 €. Don't take the night bus, which takes forever.

Much easier to get to than BCN.

For a 5h30 departure, plan on getting there at around 4h30 (a few mins earlier if you have bags to check).
lsquare and JBord like this.
Palal is offline  
Old Jan 6, 20, 4:27 pm
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Posts: 8,448
Originally Posted by Palal View Post
Anywhere in Lisbon to LIS is a 15-20 min uber/bolt ride that won't run more than 10-15 €. Don't take the night bus, which takes forever.

Much easier to get to than BCN.

For a 5h30 departure, plan on getting there at around 4h30 (a few mins earlier if you have bags to check).
That's a very important point and thanks for letting me know. I didn't realized LIS is that close to Lisbon compared to BCN to Barcelona.
lsquare is online now  
Old Jan 8, 20, 5:34 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Long Beach, CA
Programs: AA PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlatAmb, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Gold
Posts: 3,078
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
That's a very important point and thanks for letting me know. I didn't realized LIS is that close to Lisbon compared to BCN to Barcelona.
It's also a great approach into LIS if you are arriving by plane. They seem to fly right over the river and the central part of town - stunning views. Get a window seat if you can. While in LIS you can clearly see the planes on approach.
I'm not sure about the climb out after taking off (took the train) but the approach is great!
lsquare likes this.
OskiBear is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: