Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

EarlyBird Check-in: A Convenient Way to Travel...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EarlyBird Check-in: A Convenient Way to Travel...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2009, 12:11 pm

Makes an A-lister less likely to fly WN for family travel

I am an A-lister so this won't impact me whe I'm flying alone. But, when I fly with the family this will make it less likely that I choose WN over other options. We've worked hard over the years trying to keep our family together when flying WN and generally succeeded. But, when you split up a family of 6 because of a full connecting plane that already makes WN less attractive. Having to pay $20 per family member round trip to get us together would have to be balanced against the cost of flights on carriers with assigned seating. In the past I would lean toward WN because so much of my business flying is on WN. Now, I will probably lean away from WN. Frustrating.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 12:13 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Andy1369
My honest opinion? Just institute assigned seating and get it over with.
Here's what I posted on blogsouthwest on that:

This is getting back to the old debate between open seating and assigned seating. If you buy your tickets way in advance and don't change them, assigned seating is clearly superior for you. If you buy less than a week before travel, you will do MUCH better with open seating.

As another poster said, you simply can't get a assigned seats together for a family unless you book pretty far ahead. You have to go to the gate early and try for the seats that were held back for airport assignment.

Each system has its strengths and weaknesses, and no system is superior to the others in every respect. I have a feeling that Southwest's system with EarlyBird will work out just fine, and that a year from now it will be seen as a non-issue. Just as look at how the furor over mid-boarding for families settled down once people had a chance to experience it and realize that their fears were inflated.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 12:23 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
deleted

Last edited by ClueByFour; May 15, 2019 at 3:55 pm
Old Sep 3, 2009, 12:24 pm

Programs: AAPLT, RR Alist
Originally Posted by nsx
This happens today with BusinessSelect. If you're late to the gate, you lose the early boarding benefit and there's no refund. I'll bet it happens a lot, too.
I'm not talking about being late to the gate. I'm talking about when TSA is at the gate, pulling people out of line for their additional (nonsensical) screening.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 12:53 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by AUS2008
I'm not talking about being late to the gate. I'm talking about when TSA is at the gate, pulling people out of line for their additional (nonsensical) screening.
Oops. My apologies for misreading your post.

The Ops Agent who boards the flight had better hold the line for you when this happens. If the Ops Agent fails to do so, write to Customer Service and they will likely take care of you.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 1:23 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by Eemraldskies
Okay. If it makes you happy to call it a fee then call it that. What makes this different is that they are not charging for something that was once free. This is new, never been done so they have ADDED a new service and there is a charge to use this service.
But now, I lose out if I DON'T spend the extra money. It's not exactly giving us a choice.

Originally Posted by Eemraldskies
Still free sodas, juice and coffe.
Just like every other "real" airline. (i.e. Delta, United, American, Continental...)
Old Sep 3, 2009, 1:34 pm

Programs: WN CP 7+ Years; Marriott PP
Originally Posted by medic-again
For example, PHX-LGA will connect in BWI, but the BWI folks will be able to checkin before the PHX-LGA folks lending to a lower BP number for even EarlyCheckin.
Unless I've missed something with time travel, this is not possible. The PHX flight would be able to check in approximately 4 to 5 hours prior to the BWI passengers. In order for one to make the connection, they would need to arrive and the BWI people wouldn't be able to check-in until more than 24 hours after the scheduled departure from PHX.

Going the east to west works the same way, where one would be checked through a LGA-BWI-PHX flight before regular people using the 24 hour method.

Just a guess here, but your order would be BS, A-List, EBCI, Connections, 24 hour.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by sdflyer04
But, when you split up a family of 6 because of a full connecting plane that already makes WN less attractive. Having to pay $20 per family member round trip to get us together would have to be balanced against the cost of flights on carriers with assigned seating.
When you make the comparison, don't forget to include all the baggage fees for a family of 6. Heck, it is only $15 each way to check a bag. My guess is that you don't all travel with carry-on.

Besides, as it is noted several times, you don't have to buy EBCI for each passenger. I'm sure that you could get away with 2 EBCI.

Besides, as an A-lister, you probably have companion pass and use your free flights for a ticket or 2 on each trip.

I'm just saying if good luck finding a better deal for traveling with 6.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by skent7511
When you make the comparison, don't forget to include all the baggage fees for a family of 6. Heck, it is only $15 each way to check a bag. My guess is that you don't all travel with carry-on.

Besides, as it is noted several times, you don't have to buy EBCI for each passenger. I'm sure that you could get away with 2 EBCI.

Besides, as an A-lister, you probably have companion pass and use your free flights for a ticket or 2 on each trip.

I'm just saying if good luck finding a better deal for traveling with 6.
Actually, family travel with carryons is easy. Stupid for airlines trying to keep their schedules and people fighting over bin space, but easy for a family with any little ones who are entitled to a full size carryon. We've done 3 trips so far with carryons and 1 checked bag for the 6 of us. No problem and cheaper than an extra $20 each.

You are correct that free tickets may sway the deal. But, I've got other uses for free tickets.

All I'm saying is that I will look at cost closely and if cost is close I will chose the carrier that can get my family together the cheapest. That will likely be another carrier. If WN adds bag fees, we will probably never fly WN as a family again.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 1:54 pm

I hope this allows WN to become more competitive with fares again. Over the last 18 months or so, I've noticed that many of their fares are not equal or less than the competition.

I know that the competition is based upon earning $40 or so extra revenue dollars from baggage fees. However, as a business traveler that doesn't check a bag, it is tough to purchase the higher WN fare.

Less than 2 years ago, you could orbitz a flight and know that SWA was actually going to be cheaper on 9/10. Now, I'd say that it is less than 50%.

Heck, I'm flying PHX-BOS, BOS-CAK, CLE-PHX all non-stop. The PHX-BOS (US Worst - $200) was comparable, but the stop wasn't worth the money on WN. BOS-CAK(CLE) was $75 (Air-Tran). CLE-PHX was $184 and is Continental direct.

That said, this trip was firm or else the open credit policy on WN would have been the deciding point.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by sdflyer04
All I'm saying is that I will look at cost closely and if cost is close I will chose the carrier that can get my family together the cheapest. That will likely be another carrier. If WN adds bag fees, we will probably never fly WN as a family again.
Understood. Don't forget to make sure you can get 6 seats together on the flight before purchasing. I've found it difficult to get even one seat on several flights recently. Most have been premium seats or middle seats only. At that point, I'm in the same boat as the SWA 24 hour check-in where I just make sure to change my seat selection ASAP.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 3:11 pm

Programs: HIlton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Southwest
The non-refundable aspect of this fee is what bothers me most, as I view it as a possible baby step towards change fees down the road.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 4:07 pm

Programs: status-less.
As a non-A-list person who on personal travel can only afford WGA or Ding! fares, and who on business travel is restricted to government fare with no allowed add-on fees (they won't reimburse a baggage fee unless the trip is >3 nights, anything optional is disallowed), there's no upside here. I already get B boarding passes about 15% of the time checking in at T-24 and now expect that this will increase to more like 33% of the time. This isn't by itself a tipping point but is a step towards one.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 4:30 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
As an A-lister, I really don't care. But this sure makes it harder for me to vocalize to my non-a-list friends why they should fly WN.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 5:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Appletom
Fair enough nsx. If I pay the $10 and end up in a middle seat, I think that would be worth requesting a refund.

I just hate not having enough data to make an informed decision.

If there are only going to be 30 people on my flight, there's no way I would pay the money. If there are 137 on board and I'll be nowhere near a computer at 24 hours in advance, then I would absolutely pay the money.

I'm also hoping that SWA will have some kind of algorithm in place so that EBCI isn't available after a certain number have been sold. That would make this a moot point and proactively avoid Customers feeling like they were ripped off.
There is other data to consider on a passenger to passenger basis. For example, I will sometimes purchase internet access at a hotel JUST so I can get my A bp...if it's 4.99 like at Extended Stay Suites, fine. But at Hilton it's 12..so by purchasing EBCI I can save myself 2 dollars and not worry about being near a computer 24 hours before hand or spending extra money at hotels.

But then again, if a WN flight costs 100 WITHOUT EBCI and a US flight to the same destination costs 120, I am going to go with US for the assigned seat option and not risk a C EBCI bp. If this catches on to the point where not buying it basically means a high A or low b, I might as well go with another carrier without the line up or 24 check in deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.