Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

EarlyBird Check-in: A Convenient Way to Travel...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EarlyBird Check-in: A Convenient Way to Travel...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2009, 4:11 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by kerflumexed
As for cannibalizing the BS fares, GK has stated that there are no BS customers
On the west coast, I routinely see 10 BS'ers on a 1-hour flight during commuting hours. I haven't seen any drop off in the numbers, either.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 4:24 pm

I just added the EB option to our itineraries for our Rapid Reward seats on the outbound, so now we are no longer faced with getting up early on a Sat. morning to check us in for Sunday's 7AM flight. Perhaps the early AM flights will see more EBs versus later flights in the day?

We like this new EB option, especially since we are booked on RR seats. Free seats + $10 +$10 + not faced with an early T-24 = 2 happy WN customers.

As for the return we will probably just take our chances on checking in at T-24 as our flight isn't til 10AM.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, UA, WN, DL- zilch by choice, IHG-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hilton Gold,
Reading through the posts, I've come to the conclusion that there's a lot of speculation as to how all of this will shake out. Time will tell.

I, for one, am looking forward to the change and have already paid the additional fees for two upcoming trips I had already booked. On the first trip, I will be hiking in the middle of Bryce Canyon at T-24 and on the second I'll be somewhere in rural Maine at T-24. Now I don't have to worry about making sure someone can check me in since I won't have time or easy access to equipment to do the job myself at T-24.

This is worth the peace of mind.

Last edited by 6P&E; Sep 2, 2009 at 4:43 pm
Old Sep 2, 2009, 5:13 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
It's a fee. Just cause Southworst doesn't use the lingo, it is a fee.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 5:55 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K United 1K
for all the times i have been able to change flights ( even multiple times in a day) from WGA to ding i am willing to give WN a few dollars for this ^

Only time will tell especially with preboarders seemingly out of control.

I think what SWABrian says is that we need to give them some time to see if this works. If we continually bash WN for all they do we may find them less responsive to other concerns expressed on this forum.

Flight time under 90 min i doubt i will use this
Over that I probably will

I hope we can give them a chance
Old Sep 2, 2009, 6:04 pm

Programs: Frequent Flyer
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
It's a fee. Just cause Southworst doesn't use the lingo, it is a fee.
Okay. If it makes you happy to call it a fee then call it that. What makes this different is that they are not charging for something that was once free. This is new, never been done so they have ADDED a new service and there is a charge to use this service.

Still free sodas, juice and coffe.

Last edited by Eemraldskies; Sep 2, 2009 at 6:07 pm Reason: spelling
Old Sep 2, 2009, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by N702ML
The article also states: "Customers are also to be told that if they are going to be attempting to save seats in a 'prime real estate area,' they can expect to be challenged by their fellow Customers."
I find it fascinating that there is, intentionally, NO POLICY on seat-saving. So if no one yields, do you settle it with a fist-fight with the flight attendants watching?

This means, of course, that (at least if you're a large or intimidating person) you should feel free to buy 1 Early Bird seat for your entire party and impose your will on your fellow travellers.

This discussion is also making me think that, perhaps, WN should just assign seats.

After all, if you make your simple boarding system so complex, what's the advantage?
Old Sep 2, 2009, 6:43 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by nsx
On the west coast, I routinely see 10 BS'ers on a 1-hour flight during commuting hours. I haven't seen any drop off in the numbers, either.
I've actually seen an increase of BS'ers on the west coast since the start of summer. Yesterday there were at least 10 on my PDX-SJC flight. I've even seen an increase on ELP-PHX flights, which used to not have any earlier this year and now routinely have 5-6.

It'll be interesting to see if there's a drop in BS demand with this though. If I had the option of a $69 WGA fare + $10 EB, or a $179 BS fare, I'd save myself $100.

I also hope there's no assigned seating, FWIW.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 7:14 pm

Programs: WN CP
Originally Posted by lewisc
I think WN should also go the other direction and only offer BPs 12 hours before the flight for passengers in the lower fare buckets (or maybe just DING).
Originally Posted by curbcrusher
I believe this was asked in a survey, but can't find that post at the moment.
Here we go, from July 2007:
Originally Posted by Backlund
Among some of the things they are researching (although I would distinguish that from considering):

[...]

Reduced Benefits for Lower Tiers: This tier would be at what I observed to be generally at the same rate of the current Internet rate. Some of the reduced benefits would include some, a mixture or all of the following:
• Reduced or no frequent flyer credits.
• Reduced online check in time. (18 or 12 hours before the flight as opposed to 24 hours)
• Change Fees or non-refundable fares
Old Sep 2, 2009, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

BTW, what's the deal with 24-hour check-in, anyway? Is it still some sort of TSA requirement? Back in the dark ages (the '90s) you just got boarding passes from your airline with your tickets. Is the TSA doing some sort of screening of pax lists that they stop screening at 24 hours? Why isn't check-in 48 hours or 7 days?

Just curious.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 8:43 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by auggie doggie
Oh, WN started the AVALANCHE of fees? By charging for a THIRD bag?
It's the butterfly effect.

You know, like one offhand remark sends a whole thread off on a tangent. Maybe this post will be an example of that.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 8:44 pm
nsx
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by iahphx
BTW, what's the deal with 24-hour check-in, anyway? Is it still some sort of TSA requirement? Back in the dark ages (the '90s) you just got boarding passes from your airline with your tickets. Is the TSA doing some sort of screening of pax lists that they stop screening at 24 hours? Why isn't check-in 48 hours or 7 days?

Just curious.
I've seen multi-day in advance check-in for European carriers. I think RyanAir allows it 3 weeks ahead.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 8:46 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
deleted

Last edited by ClueByFour; May 15, 2019 at 3:55 pm
Old Sep 2, 2009, 8:52 pm

Programs: SWA
Originally Posted by iahphx

Just curious.
Short answer. Yes

Long answer. In an unrelated discussion offline with SWAVictor, a related question came up. Without going into lots of details, here is his reply to the question of checking in/printing a boarding pass for a BS passenger at the time of purchasing a ticket..

"The TSA does not allow us to open up checkin any earlier - so thats why they can't checkin immediately after booking."

I am sure when he returns from vacation, he can provide more details.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 9:15 pm

Programs: SWA
So I just added EarlyBird Checkin to my LAS-BDL trip in 3 weeks. It totally makes sense because there are a ton of connecting passengers on that flight and I never get lower than A45 at T-24.

HOWEVER, when I went to pay, the only payment option was a credit card. Previously mentioned, no TTF accepted, but no gift cards? No LUV vouchers?

Just cold hard (plastic) cash.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.