Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

EarlyBird Check-in: A Convenient Way to Travel...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EarlyBird Check-in: A Convenient Way to Travel...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2009, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by num1bearsfan
The whole idea seems entirely flawed to me. In actuality, the whole "benefit" of being able to opt to board earlier works exactly in REVERSE. It used to be, the early bird gets the worm. In other words, you check in earlier, you board earlier. This was a fair system and it allowed some form of control for people who absolutely need to have aisle or window seats. Now, with that being completely undermined by a very small fee, there is no way at all to have that "control". All this fee effectively does is change the boarding order from who checked in first to who bought their ticket first, because lets face it, most people are going to opt for the small $10 fee otherwise they'll be guaranteed "C" boarding and a nice comfy middle seat. So, when you look at it that way you're almost being strong armed into paying the $10. It's not so much a "priority boarding fee" and much as it is a "dear god, please keep me out of C boarding" fee.

On top of that, I think this really sort of dilutes the "Business Select" product. On most flights, the difference between the wanna get away fare and the business select fare is pretty high. I have a hard time believing that people are paying double fare for a free drink and 1 extra RR credit.

So, I've come to the conclusion that this was either a very poor business decision, or this move doesn't have the customer's best interest in mind and this is simply a covert way of jacking up fares $10 across the board. If the latter is true, I beg Southwest to just GO AHEAD AND RAISE FARES but leave out ability to assure ourselves the seating that we require alone.
I agree-well stated
Old Sep 5, 2009, 8:28 pm

Programs: Frequent Flyer
Like anything else that is new there is a learning curve. I have read that after the roll-out if the number of people buying Early Bird becomes an issue then they will look at limiting the number of Early Birds sold.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 11:29 pm

Programs: Southwest
I have been following this thread and been lurking on this forum for a while. I noticed the rollout of early bird check-in on Thursday and added it to my flight. It was only $10 and it saves me the trouble of having to start the computer at 7am and check-in. On my return flight, I bought a BS ticket. My flight is SNA to PHX (EB) and PHX to SNA (BS). Am I one those obsessed with getting a early number? You bet.

This is just a convenience fee and there is no perfect system that will make everyone happy. Some people will save seats. Sure, if you want to save a seat for your wife or husband, I will move on.

If you want to block out 2 rows for your entourage in a CHOICE row, get ready to be challenged. I know you will be in one of the rows and that will allow me to plop down in the other row. That's because SW has an open seat policy. The open seating policy does not trump the seat saving policy and vice versa. (Correct me if I am wrong)

And I know about the fake excuses/tactics like, this is for my friend in the bathroom, the jacket or purse on the seat, leaning over your seat into the other seat, etc. in order to prevent someone from sitting next to you.

It's just like a movie theater. Those get there 1st usually save seats for their slacker friends that come late. No big deal. However, this airline has an open seat policy and you board and sit down in the order of your BP.

There is really no written rules on this airline and it's not worth getting worked up. On any given flight, there are jerks that ruin the experience for the rest of us. The last thing the FA wants to do is be a referee and play the "parent." However, I have noticed some FA do not put up with the bull from anyone.

The only reason why I want to sit in the front of the plane is to get off and sprint to the bathroom. I don't think EB check in will make a dent in the Business Select tickets. The reason my ticket is BS on the PHX to SNA flight is that PHX is a transfer hub and I may need the flexibility to adjust my return home ticket at the last moment.

There is another thread that keeps track of EB and I will post my results there.

Last edited by lil Gophee; Sep 5, 2009 at 11:38 pm
Old Sep 6, 2009, 7:46 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by lougord99
I totally agree with bears. I think in retrospect, this will be looked at as a horrible decision. NSX use to have a theory about how you had to work at getting on the plane early. So those who cared did so, and those who didn't care didn't do the work. That has now been totally turned around.
No, it hasn't been turned around. The idea was and is that people who care most about seating get the best seats, delivering that value to the people who value it. Premium pricing accomplishes this even better than the OLCI race did. Furthermore, not only is the value of better seating delivered to those who value it the most, but Southwest is able to collect more money, keeping fares lower for those who don't mind middle seats.

The only mistake is see here is pricing long-haul EB too low. That's easy to correct.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 9:23 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Here's a comment I spotted on blogsouthwest that hits the nail on the head for the T-24 OLCI crowd:
I feel like I've been forced into paying the extra money just to maintain a relative boarding position which I already enjoyed.
Pricing EBCI twice as high and selling half as many would please the T-24 crowd.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by david2son08
(1) With regard to TSA's "random" searches at the gate, where passengers are taken to the side during boarding, it was previously mentioned that Southwest has worked with TSA to make them aware of BS passengers, boarding process etc. and that they are working with TSA.
Are you implying that BS passengers are immune to the "random screening"?

While I feel "random" gate screening is largely a "publicity show" it would loose any effectiveness if some mal-intended individual only had to pay a hundred dollars more for a ticket that was, in effect, screening exempt.

As for those airlines with assigned seating, it takes the dumbest terrorist on the block to not see that all he has to do is hold back until TSA has "randomly" picked enough PAX to keep the screeners busy... then he can stroll on by.

If half of the FC passengers have already figured this out, why can't a terrorist?
Old Sep 6, 2009, 10:31 am

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter

While I feel "random" gate screening is largely a "publicity show" it would loose any effectiveness if some mal-intended individual only had to pay a hundred dollars more for a ticket that was, in effect, screening exempt.

As for those airlines with assigned seating, it takes the dumbest terrorist on the block to not see that all he has to do is hold back until TSA has "randomly" picked enough PAX to keep the screeners busy... then he can stroll on by.

If half of the FC passengers have already figured this out, why can't a terrorist?
This is heresy. FT's have agreed that the gate screening has NOTHING to do with security. It is just a method for keeping the TSA busy (and paid) while passenger numbers are down. Really, how hard is it to get a fake ID?
Old Sep 6, 2009, 10:39 am

Programs: WN RR A-List Preferred & CP, Alaska Air MVP Gold, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres. Circle
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter

No, I have been told (and, perhaps, seen it on this board) that Southwest has worked with TSA to try to make sure that that the "random" searches do not interfere with the boarding process (For instance, TSA can do the searches when folks line up, rather than waiting until the boarding process starts and taking htem out of line).

But at the end of the day TSA does what TSA wants to do, IMO.

The reason for "random" in quotes, is that based on my experience I do not see much randomness in their searches. They tend to pick the same positions in line, time after time--normally the first person in each group gets selected regularly, from my experiences.

Now back to the original topic.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Originally Posted by nsx
Here's a comment I spotted on blogsouthwest that hits the nail on the head for the T-24 OLCI crowd:
I feel like I've been forced into paying the extra money just to maintain a relative boarding position which I already enjoyed.
Pricing EBCI twice as high and selling half as many would please the T-24 crowd.
Actually, I think it is worse than the comment from the blog. I think that a lot of people who didn't bother about T-24 will now pay the $10, and if they bought their ticket ahead of a T-24 person, the T-24 person will pay the $10 and will actually lose a relative boarding position rather than maintain it.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 6:41 pm
FSU

Well, they just got me for $80. Going to a wedding with the family in a couple of weeks, and I decided I wasn't going to pay. I'll just check in right at T-24. Then of course I start reading this thread and seeing how we might really be bumped to a higher boarding number. Since there are four of us, will all be carrying bags and want to sit together, I changed my mind. Of course might as well do it for the return as well.

I have to say I am not wild about paying the extra money, but it doesn't leave as bad a taste as bag fees, etc. would.
Old Sep 6, 2009, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
From FAQS

I have not seen this posted here anywhere,but this adds to the uncertainty of this program. WGA purchasers could find themselves pretty far down on the boarding order.

It appears that WN is definitely trying to shed it's low cost airline image.

"Is there an order in which EarlyBird Check-in Boarding Passes are reserved?
Yes, Customers who have purchased Anytime Fares will receive priority over other fare types during the initial boarding position assignment."
Old Sep 6, 2009, 8:35 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K United 1K
the other question is where do RR award tickets fit in this
lineup?
Old Sep 6, 2009, 8:54 pm

Programs: Southwest
Smile

Originally Posted by FSU
Well, they just got me for $80. Going to a wedding with the family in a couple of weeks, and I decided I wasn't going to pay. I'll just check in right at T-24. Then of course I start reading this thread and seeing how we might really be bumped to a higher boarding number. Since there are four of us, will all be carrying bags and want to sit together, I changed my mind. Of course might as well do it for the return as well.

I have to say I am not wild about paying the extra money, but it doesn't leave as bad a taste as bag fees, etc. would.
That is a noble thing to do. I hope you get a good boarding position. The airline makes money, you get value for this service, and the prices are lower for those who do not care about where they sit. Hopefully, you are not on a flight with a bunch of seat savers.

If that was allowed, I will get a BS flight and save the first 3 rows on both sides. Then sell it to those who want it for $2.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 7:33 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards
Thread over at the rec.arts.disney.parks newsgroup about the new EBCI. Seems to be pretty universally hated over there, with some even saying they'll switch airlines because of it.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...b779dc905ac7e#
Old Sep 7, 2009, 8:29 am

Programs: Frequent Flyer
That link takes you to a group of folks who don't have accurate information and are repeating it amongst themselves working themselves into a frenzy about it.

Families with young children will still board after A - plenty of time to get seats together.

Checking in 24 hours in advance will still get you a boarding assignement to sit with your travel mate.

Those choosing not to check in online or use Early Bird will still have the middle seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.