DEN Bonus Credit Offer 6/18 - 9/30/09

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2009, 2:31 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
DEN Bonus Credit Offer 6/18 - 9/30/09

Check your pormotions page in MySouthwest.com, just got this:

Member must register for this promotion between June 18 and July 31, 2009 to qualify and registration must be completed prior to commencement of travel. Reservation must be booked at southwest.com or swabiz.com between June 18 and September 30, 2009. Travel must be flown between June 18 and September 30, 2009 and originate or terminate in Denver. Rapid Rewards account number must be entered at the time of booking. Member will receive one bonus credit per qualifying one-way flight. Travel on Award or Companion Pass does not qualify for promotion. Bonus credits do not count toward A-List qualification. Rapid Rewards credit will post to your account within four days of completing travel. Promotion cannot be combined with any other offer or promotion. Offer is not valid with Southwest Airlines Vacations packages. Changes made to the itinerary after purchase may eliminate qualification for this promotion. The Rapid Rewards Award is free, but travel is subject to the government-imposed September 11th Security Fee of up to $10 per roundtrip. All Rapid Rewards rules and regulations apply. BN014
I have a trip to DEN next week, but it looks like I won't qualify since I've already booked it.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by Beckles
Check your pormotions page in MySouthwest.com, just got this:

I have a trip to DEN next week, but it looks like I won't qualify since I've already booked it.
If this can be combined with my last months of double college credits, it would be amazing...

Just rebooked all my July and August tickets (4 total).
Old Jun 18, 2009, 9:17 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

I hear you Beckles. I'm on a trip to Denver, heading home Saturday, so presumably that won't qualify, either. Still, thanks for the heads up; I may be able to use this before it expires.

Promotion cannot be combined with any other offer or promotion.
I suppose the above means that if someone registers for this DEN bonus offer and the PHL bonus offer, flying PHL-DEN earns a total of two credits per flight, right? Two bonus credits would have been quite nice.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 10:36 pm

It looks like SWA is in the process of raising WGA fares to pay for the DEN bonus credit, at least in the one case I'm attempting to book. The old fare is still shown on both the calendar and the flight detail page, but I'm getting the "Unable to price" message when I try to buy it.

Update: I checked two other markets and the WGA fares had not all gone up, so the change I saw was market-specific. As posted in the other thread, I was able to book the lower displayed fare by calling CS&S. ^

In yet another strange twist, an hour or so after booking through CS&S, the old fare was still showing on the web site and the oops, that fare went up message no longer came up! So I canceled the reservations made by the help desk and rebooked online so I wouldn't have to call again if I need to make future changes. I took that opportunity to guess at one additional travel date and book one more flight. (I didn't make a guess at the return date, though.)

The next morning the old fare was completely gone from the web site. Later that day, however, the old fare returned. A day or two later, the higher fare was selectively back (all of July, early August, and Sundays through the end of the schedule). So watch your DEN fares closely!

Last edited by ftnoob; Jun 22, 2009 at 11:55 am Reason: Update
Old Jun 19, 2009, 1:09 am

Just a quick question: would changing a flight be considered a "purchase?" Or would I have to actually cancel and rebook separately. One of the my Denver flight still has the same WGA fare....another one....not so much.
Old Jun 19, 2009, 1:06 pm

Programs: HH, MR
I booked a flight last night to Denver and received the promotion and registered this morning. My flight is in July. Don't you think just because I registered after I booked I/we are not eligible? Seems to me it's the flying within the time frame as long as you've registered first and then flown within time frames. Thoughts?
Old Jun 19, 2009, 1:36 pm
Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Rapid Rewards, IHG/Kimpton, Bonvoy, AA/oneworld, British Airways
Hey All -

attempting to clear up some of the mystery.

The trip has to be booked between 6/18 and 9/30, regardless of opt-in date.
So - if you booked on 6/18, and opted in on 6/19, then flew on 6/20 you would get the bonus credit because you flew after opting in - and booked within the correct time frame.

The trip has to be flown AFTER opting in (and between 6/18 and 9/30) to qualify for bonus credit.

As for College program and PHL-DEN flights . . .you may just be pleasantly surprised
Old Jun 21, 2009, 8:40 am

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
This is two more examples of how Southwest's simple policies benefit those that fly Southwest.

1) You can learn about this promotion and rebook with no change fee and get the deal. You can't do that on United. (Have I ever mentioned that I really really love no change fees?)

2) You can get the bonus on a one-way flight and not have to book a round trip. I always get burned on United because when they offer a Denver double credit promotion, it always has to be round trip. I've got a United flight (city pair not served by Southwest with no real practical alternative) coming up which would qualify for the double credit promotion if it was Southwest, but its one-way so that is no good.

I could only rebook one flight to get this deal. The other flight I had went up in price and the amount it went up is more than the value of an extra RR credit. Two more flights I had for relatives also have gone up in price so I didn't think rebooking was a good idea on those either.

I may squeeze in one more round trip because of this promotion.

Still, one free credit for a few mouse clicks?!? Who LUVS you more than Southwest?

Question: Is it adequate to "rebook" using the "change flight" feature, changing back to exactly the same flight, or do you need to cancel the old flight and book a new flight, getting a new PNR? I did the latter just to be safe.
Old Jun 21, 2009, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Thanks for the heads-up. It's unlikely that I'll be going to Denver this summer, but it doesn't hurt to register.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 12:29 pm

As expected, my 20-June DEN flight booked on 06-June did not earn the bonus credit.

For a solid year or so I've been undecided whether to take a domestic or international trip this September. This DEN bonus is certainly tilting the playing field. If I do fly SWA in September it would be a few days in CO and I'd have a RT from/back to DEN sandwiched inside the beginning and ending flights. That would earn a very quick 8 credits.

Be sure to note that numerous DEN fares are quite low, so there are opportunities for splitting trips into multiple segments via DEN, earning 4x credits at little costor even lower cost. ^^

When I looked at fares the other day it was working out to $108 to $118 for separate trips versus $150 to $165 to book to the final destination. Today, however, there are new $99 fares in the fall, but three extra credits are well worth the extra $9 to $19.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 7:45 pm

Question Combining Denver Promotion with the College Program

Originally Posted by myperks
If this can be combined with my last months of double college credits, it would be amazing...

Just rebooked all my July and August tickets (4 total).
Does anyone think this will work? It says on the Denver promotion:

"Promotion cannot be combined with any other offer or promotion."

Do you think this means it excludes the college program? I'd love to fly to Denver and do a couple of trips to SLC and ABQ if I was getting 3 credits each way (1 standard credit, 1 college credit, and 1 Denver promotion credit)!!

Thanks for any advice!
Old Jun 24, 2009, 8:35 pm

Programs: WN CP
Originally Posted by snyderm
Does anyone think this will work?
Welcome to FlyerTalk, snyderm! The college program will stack with this bonus.
Old Jun 24, 2009, 9:28 pm

Thanks!

Thanks, yeah I've been a lurker for too long!

That's good, I'm totally going to make a couple of DEN-ABQ trips next month! It'll be my first run (and in time to take advantage of the college program while it still exists)!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.