Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Sorry, the fare we just displayed is unavailable...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2008, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HIlton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Southwest

Here's a first, at least for me. I tried to book a Southwest flight online for the stated fare of $109, but when I clicked to the next pricing step, it said that this fare was no longer available and asked if I wanted to book the flight for $149 instead. I called Southwest, and when the agent saw for himself that the fare was still advertised at $109, but could not be purchased at that price, he assumed it was some sort of computer glitch. After putting me on hold for awhile, the agent explained that the fare was supposed to increase as of midnight, Central time, but someone had jumped the gun and already blocked online access to the lower fare (it was then around 11:40 p.m., Eastern time). Since the matrix still showed a $109 fare, he went ahead and booked it for me at that price. Just wanted to give a "fare warning" to my fellow FTers and ask if this has happened to anyone else,
Old Nov 10, 2008, 2:45 am

Programs: UA, WN, AS, CO, SPG, HGP, FPC
Even better question: Has anyone had a similar occurrence on another carrier where the agent was able to honor the fare?
Old Nov 10, 2008, 5:31 am
Company Representative - Southwest Airlines

Programs: Rapid Rewards, IHG/Kimpton, Bonvoy, AA/oneworld, British Airways
Originally Posted by UnitedRhapsody
Even better question: Has anyone had a similar occurrence on another carrier where the agent was able to honor the fare?
Good Morning FTers!

Just wanted to let you know that this does happen occasionally, its all a timing issue. Our host Reservation system (Saas/Sabre) can take several hours to complete a full "fare load" . . with the website its like the flip of a switch. So, 3 times a day while fares are being loaded the website can be briefly out of synch with the reservation system - until the switch is flipped.

During the "out-of-synch" time . .
If the new fare is lower - you win - and the system just prices the new lower fare. When it is higher than we have shown you - we stop and make sure you are okay with the new fare before charging you.

The website actually used to simply give an error message and stop you from proceeding altogether - we feel its better to give you an opportunity to continue your purchase (or call to find out whats going on), instead of being in an endless error loop.

Bravo to our Reservations Sales Agent for honoring the fare for you!
Old Feb 9, 2009, 10:12 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Victor, here's another case where the error message comes up. It is clearly different from the synch issue, and it is pretty confusing. Here is how to duplicate it:
  • On the main booking page input an A-B-C routing of SAT-DEN-OMA for 02-April.
  • On the select flights page choose the 8:20am departure (WN943/138), $271 Anytime fare, connecting to the 12:45pm (WN3315) $169 Anytime final leg.
What happens: the pricing page displays the "We are unable to price the fares that you selected" warning message and advises that "the next lowest available fares for the flights you selected are listed below." It then reports that WN943/138 is $128 (instead of $271) and that WN3315 is $259 New Price instead of $169. The new total stated price is $387 versus the original quoted total price of $440, a decrease of $53. It took a long time to figure out what all the above meant. I won't spill the beans now in case anyone reading this thread wants to have a go at cracking the puzzle.
Old Jun 22, 2009, 11:46 am
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

freebee, thanks for reporting this excellent find. To add a slightly different twist, when I ran into this situation the other day and called CS&S, the agent could not see the lower fare on her system at all, even though this was not a "web only" fare. She was still able to have the help desk book the "old" lower fare, however. ^ It took 20 minutes or more on the phone to book two one ways. (I wanted to book more flights but wasn't sure how deep the well of good will might be, and my other travel dates were not yet certain.)

So even if the fare displayed on the web site is gone from the system that CS&S uses, you should still be able to book it during the out of synch period.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 4:57 am

Dj pricing

Got an e-mail from sis trying to book either MDW->SEA or SEA->MDW flights.

========
I am booking flights and they come up $137 one way. I choose it and then when I hit submit they say the flight is no longer available and the real price is $213. I could see it happening once but on 4 different flights?
========

I doubt she tried to call to see if an agent would honor the $137. Timing is everything!

Alas, no more info so I can't check to see what the prices are now.

Last edited by OzzyOzzie; Jul 27, 2011 at 6:11 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.