Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New ad campaign "It's On"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2009, 12:21 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

A "bags fly free" ad is back on the southwest.com home page:
The "Learn more" link brings up a new "Checked Baggage Fee Comparison Chart." That page includes the line:
Grab your bag. Its on.
The old nohiddenfees page still redirects to the home page. Perhaps some more new fees are coming, but two free bags may be here a while longer.

Another thought: ad campaigns do sometimes rotate out and later return.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 8:09 am

Programs: WN CP & B-list. Disillusioned fmr UA-1P/2P,F9-Ascent; Fmr AA-Plat,CO-Gold,NW-Silver,TWA-Elite
I just saw and was going to post that "bags fly free" is back on the front page of their web site. Yeah! I would think that would mean 3-6 more months that we can enjoy flying as it was meant to be! They wouldn't put this on the web site, only to add fees in say the next month or two.

Free bags and no change fees -- still the smartest business strategy.
Old Jun 23, 2009, 7:10 pm

Programs: eleVAte, Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by medic-again
True, but there is a law of unintended consequences. If they introduce change fees, I defiently won't be booking until I'm more certain of my travel. Currently, I book when the schedule opens and let WN take my money early. If they start restricting changes, I will wait for better fares (since they almost always DING my routes) or my travel is confirmed. WN loses the extra time with my money and less likely to have unused TTF credits that expire as free money.

I see fees maybe for items like phone reservations, day of upgrade to priority boarding, or other things that are less used features or incremental service gains that won't hit most people. Wall Street has been pushing Gary hard for these extra fees, and I agree at some point he'll need to cave.
Will all due respect to Wall Street - listening to its wishes has gotten airlines nowhere. The main issue is a heavy focus on short-term gains, with ignorance towards the big picture.

I'd wager that many of the investors pushing WN to implement fees have never been on a Southwest flight, due to a previous lack of flights to financial centers, and a lack of premium product. They don't realize things such as Southwest's closed booking system. The fact that it's not easy to simply compare Southwest's price vs. the others on a "spreadsheet" search site like Orbitz or Kayak is the exact reason that Southwest can get away by charging a few dollars more per ticket, instead of fees. People make a conscious decision to scout out Southwest's fares, and it's easy to remind them that they won't be paying extra for bags there.

For any other airline, it would be suicide not to match fees on other carriers, since Joe traveler would see that DL is $5 cheaper than FL, and wouldn't take into account the $30 they'll be paying Delta for bags.

If Southwest started charging for bags, I predict a tremendous lost of goodwill and pax. Considering Tropicana sales fell 10% within weeks of changing the carton design, it's a safe bet that consumers sometimes irrationally vote with their feet.

ETA: On the page where you select your flight, there's still a huge banner ad proclaiming "Bags Fly Free", fwiw

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.