Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

A new phenomenon.. The Southwest gate area intruders!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2008, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SWA EMP (the ultimate program)

Ever since Southwest upgraded their gate areas with large HDTVs and leather chairs with power jacks, has anyone else noticed the people who are flying with other airlines crashing the Southwest gate areas? I've been seeing it a lot lately.

I have to say, it kind of annoys me a little bit. Only because it's premium seating and it's put there for the enjoyment of people who do business with Southwest. Also, as it is premium, it's also limited.. The "other airline flyers" who are intruding on the seating areas are displacing actual Southwest customers..

Would a posted sign that reads "Seating for Southwest Passengers Only" be out of line?

I'm curious to hear what other people think about this, or am I the only one even noticing it?
Old Oct 13, 2008, 4:21 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
I am not clear how you know this. WN must have 90% of the passengers at MDW. Who is left to crash the gates?
Old Oct 13, 2008, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lougord99
I am not clear how you know this. WN must have 90% of the passengers at MDW. Who is left to crash the gates?

People often have their boarding passes right in their hands while waiting. You can see on the ticket sleeve when it says "airtran" on it.. I've also seen people get up and walk to a nearby gate when the boarding announcement is made.. Obviously I spend time in airports besides MDW if I'm flying, but I see it happening at MDW as well..
Old Oct 13, 2008, 4:56 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 650k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Exclamation

I hope it's not OT: The counters with the connections are attractive, but I'm strongly among those who try to find the sweet spot as far away from the incessantly blaring TVs (even if they are HDTV) as possible, yet still within earshot of the GA's PA.

Actually, a bigger issue to me is stacking two flights from the same gate within an hour or an hour and a half. I know the cause of this is a good thing for everyone (e.g., that Southwest is busy), but when people try to lead their flight by an hour and a half, and get through security quickly, things get to standing room only. In my observation, this is most intense at MDW and LAS. (Never at SFO, and not at OAK anymore!) So, this may be a factor in what you're seeing. Anyway, it all sorts out in the long run.

Last edited by Firewind; Oct 13, 2008 at 5:12 pm
Old Oct 13, 2008, 5:02 pm

Programs: WN A-list/CP, HHonors Diamond, IHG Plt,*wood Plt,F9 Summitt, Hyatt Diamond,
Originally Posted by num1bearsfan
Ever since Southwest upgraded their gate areas with large HDTVs and leather chairs with power jacks, has anyone else noticed the people who are flying with other airlines crashing the Southwest gate areas? I've been seeing it a lot lately.

I have to say, it kind of annoys me a little bit. Only because it's premium seating and it's put there for the enjoyment of people who do business with Southwest. Also, as it is premium, it's also limited.. The "other airline flyers" who are intruding on the seating areas are displacing actual Southwest customers..

Would a posted sign that reads "Seating for Southwest Passengers Only" be out of line?

I'm curious to hear what other people think about this, or am I the only one even noticing it?
LOL, your flying WN! Try PHX or DEN or anywhere! You want a lounge? LOL Hey they can't even defend the boarding process. The issue is? I an cracking up! Sorry but the WN deal, what you see is what you get! Funny
Old Oct 13, 2008, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by loboclone
LOL, your flying WN! Try PHX or DEN or anywhere! You want a lounge? LOL Hey they can't even defend the boarding process. The issue is? I an cracking up! Sorry but the WN deal, what you see is what you get! Funny
....huh?
Old Oct 13, 2008, 5:23 pm

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
In my experience, the real problem is with people stealing the seats at the stands with the outlets for charging stuff.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by Firewind
I hope it's not OT: The counters with the connections are attractive, but I'm strongly among those who try to find the sweet spot as far away from the incessantly blaring TVs (even if they are HDTV) as possible, yet still within earshot of the GA's PA.
100% agree. When I become the imperial ruler here, the TV's at airports are gone.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 5:58 pm

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
As a ticketed passenger, I may sit, walk, shop, eat or drink anywhere I please as long as it's not marked "authorized personnel only" or a club/lounge to which I don't have a membership or have not purchased a day-pass. I pay a "passenger facility charge" and expect to be able to utilize the passenger facilities as I please. WN or any other airline doesn't have the right to exclude passengers from other airlines from their waiting areas.

Anyway, if WN's gate areas are attracting crowds I say it's payback for the number of times I was inconvenienced @SEA where the line for WN gates B6/B8 have backed up across the concourse walkway and blocked access to the CO President's Club!
Old Oct 13, 2008, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by lougord99
100% agree. When I become the imperial ruler here, the TV's at airports are gone.
Just have the underlings turn the volume all the way down and turn on the closed-captioning. CNN Airport Channel talking over Muzak, talking over GA's, talking over mechanized airport announcements...
Old Oct 13, 2008, 6:41 pm

This is an issue for you?

OP, if this is enough to bug you, your life must be going quite well. I'd be happy if WN just enforced the BS boarding process that I've paid for.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by COpltASgldPHX
I pay a "passenger facility charge" and expect to be able to utilize the passenger facilities as I please.
Wrong. From the Federal Aviation Administration: The Passenger Facility Charge (PFC) Program allows the collection of PFC fees up to $4.50 for every enplaned passenger at commercial airports controlled by public agencies. Airports use these fees to fund FAA-approved projects that enhance safety, security, or capacity; reduce noise; or increase air carrier competition.

Those fees did not pay for WN's upgraded waiting areas.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 7:05 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Wow!

Didn't realize that Road Warriors were still flying Southwest, good to know!

David

Fly more & get a better seat
Old Oct 13, 2008, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smmrfld
OP, if this is enough to bug you, your life must be going quite well. I'd be happy if WN just enforced the BS boarding process that I've paid for.
The life's going incredibly well, thanks..^

It seems like a legitimate gripe to me.. If you're a Southwest passenger, and you can't sit in the seats that were MEANT for you as a token of appreciation for your business, because they're being hogged by a bunch of airtran passengers from a flight across the way, that wouldn't bother you even a little? If not you must reside in a monastery.
Old Oct 13, 2008, 7:48 pm

The Benefit of this

Flyers on other airlines will see the civilzed, comfortable area where WN planes board and finally put to death the notion of a kettlerific cattle call!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.