Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official Rapid Rewards 2.0 speculation thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official Rapid Rewards 2.0 speculation thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2008, 7:31 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by jtaft
Where I fly from (Chicago) and the places I go to, by my estimation basing the points on dollars spent and not segments as given in the survey examples will reduce the return (in free flights) seriously; to the point where at my level of flying I will rarely if ever earn an Award. Thus I will be driven solely by price and in Chicago SWA doesn't always win on that alone. Additionally I've patterned my hotel stays to maximize the potential of transferring points to SWA, factoring that in to justify occasional higher prices. If RR is diminished as I expect, my use of hotel loyalty programs will shift to maximization of hotel reward value or simply lowest cost with no regard to any airline.
For me, SWA could do almost anything and as long as they kept no change fees, they would continue to be my airline.
Old Jul 4, 2008, 8:46 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by jtaft
Where I fly from (Chicago) and the places I go to, by my estimation basing the points on dollars spent and not segments as given in the survey examples will reduce the return (in free flights) seriously; to the point where at my level of flying I will rarely if ever earn an Award. Thus I will be driven solely by price and in Chicago SWA doesn't always win on that alone. Additionally I've patterned my hotel stays to maximize the potential of transferring points to SWA, factoring that in to justify occasional higher prices. If RR is diminished as I expect, my use of hotel loyalty programs will shift to maximization of hotel reward value or simply lowest cost with no regard to any airline.
...but based on the survey posted, it is either points earned OR segments flown.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 12:05 am
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Is it likely that RR 2.0 will occur at the same time as the first international alliance? I was suddenly hit with the realization that this proportionality of points to ticket dollar value could effectively nullify whatever advantage WN may gain by announcing any international alliances (at least for the leisure traveler). Doesn't the much greater "bang for the buck" have a lot to do with why the international opportunities are so important for the legacy FF programs?
Old Jul 6, 2008, 12:11 am

Programs: SWA
Rapid Rewards Changes - Some rumors heard

Just finished an interesting conversation in the hot tub with a WestJet Marketing person who has been working with SWA on the new RR program, as well as a few other items.

First, the point system appears to be the way it's going to go. Almost like a cash back system, points/dollars earned, exchanged for credit towards a flight. It was mentioned that the SWA credit card would be a great value, as earning potential there would be very positive. Short hop flights, not so much.

It was also commented that there is interest in emulating WestJet's food purchase program, that SWA might be adapting WestJet's software package to allow for purchases in payment other than cash.

Another interesting tidbit, no partnership seen on the horizon with WestJet.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 6:51 am

WN RR program is simple and easy to understand. If the problem is the short haul flight credits, then simply cut them to 0.25 per flight under 250 miles.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 6:54 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by irabk

Chicago Tribune had an article today on SWA. The article stated that there would be a Canadian partner ( and that it would likely be Westjet ) and that Canadian partner would fly a bunch of flights into Midway where the transfer of passengers between the 2 airlines would occur.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 10:15 am

Programs: WN,UA,AA,
Does Westjet fly to Alaska?

Last edited by zzyzx; Jul 6, 2008 at 1:13 pm Reason: typo
Old Jul 6, 2008, 10:30 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by zzyzx
Does Westjet flies to Alaska?
No, but they fly to Hawaii from Vancouver, BC.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 9:25 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, WorldPerks
I would love WestJet as a partner since I have family "up north." PVD-MDW-YEG is much nicer than PVD-ORD-YEG, PVD-DTW-MSP-YEG, or PVD-PHL-PHX-YEG.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 10:16 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

What sort of expansion capacity does WN have at MDW to handle a codeshare there with an airline of the Canuck persuasion? Can WN add enough that they'd actually end up cutting prices on domestic flights to/from MDW?

I imagine there are other markets with even higher average cost per mile, but my impression for several years has been that MDW has gotten awfully expensive. From my home base it is so bad that I could almost envision booking WN codeshare flights to Canada to utilize the hidden city technique if I needed to get to MDW. Granted the MDW prices may not be as offensive as prices to and from some legacy-dominated hubs, but it is not a pretty sight.

(Something to keep in mind when cheering the continued trouncing of the legacies by WN, IMO. MDW's history could be the future of your favorite airport.)
Old Jul 7, 2008, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by ftnoob
[INDENT]What sort of expansion capacity does WN have at MDW to handle a codeshare there with an airline of the Canuck persuasion? Can WN add enough that they'd actually end up cutting prices on domestic flights to/from MDW?
I can see indirect capacity additions at MDW through the addition of nonstops between other markets, reducing the domestic connecting traffic through MDW to make room for our friends from the North.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by lougord99
Chicago Tribune had an article today on SWA. The article stated that there would be a Canadian partner ( and that it would likely be Westjet ) and that Canadian partner would fly a bunch of flights into Midway where the transfer of passengers between the 2 airlines would occur.
Article:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...6.story?page=1
Old Jul 7, 2008, 9:36 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by irabk
Just finished an interesting conversation in the hot tub with a WestJet Marketing person who has been working with SWA on the new RR program, as well as a few other items.

First, the point system appears to be the way it's going to go. Almost like a cash back system, points/dollars earned, exchanged for credit towards a flight. It was mentioned that the SWA credit card would be a great value, as earning potential there would be very positive. Short hop flights, not so much.

It was also commented that there is interest in emulating WestJet's food purchase program, that SWA might be adapting WestJet's software package to allow for purchases in payment other than cash.

I find it difficult to believe that WN would be working so closely with WestJet yet there would be no partnership on the horizon.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 9:36 am

Programs: DL 2+ million/PM, YX, Marriott Plt, *wood gold, HHonors, CO Plt, UA, AA EXP, WN, AGR
My reaction:

They're making it as complex as a Legacy program.

Not likely to affect my flying - but may make WN less attractive compared to a legacy as they break-down the A-list. A-list and fees are the important features to me, but there is no way - with my current travel patterns - that I'll ever make the high status levels on WN. I've got too much international (Eur/Pac) travel.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 9:55 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
It seems Southwest is adopting a hotel model (pay more, get more points) for frequent flying. When frequent flier programs were first invented people paid more to go further, so giving rewards based on distance was fine, but we all know that has changed, not the least because of competition from airlines like Southwest.

While this change may affect me negatively I'm not against it -- except that it seems they are way overcomplicating it. Make it like Marriott or Hilton, ten points per dollar spent, bonuses for elite levels, and maybe make redemption at a few levels corresponding to hotel categories (ie I can search for a category 1 flight and redeem at the lowest level -- ie a Fairfield Inn in Podunk, IA, or category 7 for a flight right before Thanksgiving, ie the Marriott in Paris). Like another poster, no change fees will keep me with Southwest for my personal travel. For business travel, however, the jury is still out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.