Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Placing baggage at front of A line to "hold" spot

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Placing baggage at front of A line to "hold" spot

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2007, 1:26 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by nd_eric_77
note where I said that, "Apparently at least one WN employee takes issue, but I have never encountered said employee." - thereby making the last paragraph redundant, no?

The nice thing about most WN queues I have seen is that the first HUMAN BEING tends to respect the baggage-placeholders. Thus in getting behind the next HUMAN BEING, you would still be behind one or more baggage-placeholders.
Even if I was person #2. I'd tell the first person that bags can't hold spots and to move up to the front. They'd do it or the bags would be moved out of the way and then they'd do it.

Sorry, you are wrong here.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL PM, .6MM; AA Plat; Marriott Platinum Premier
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
Even if I was person #2. I'd tell the first person that bags can't hold spots and to move up to the front. They'd do it or the bags would be moved out of the way and then they'd do it.

Sorry, you are wrong here.
My guess: as soon as you brought up the baggage situation to person #2, person #1 would reclaim bag #1 (at position #1), and you would be SOL. But it would be a hoot to watch!

By the way, I love the authoritative-sounding "Sorry, you are wrong here." Notice that despite multiple attempts, nobody has been able to link to a policy which specifically says anything against using near-proximity baggage to hold a space in line. Please do keep trying though; its entertaining to read!
Old Apr 30, 2007, 1:52 pm

Several posters cited TSA regulations that require luggage be under the control of the passenger. Some of us posted experience with TSA agents who use the "within arms length" definition. Passengers who are 10-12 feet away aren't even able to see their bags, after the real line forms. Another poster gave an example where passengers who abandoned their bags were forced to go back through security.

The first passengers to abandon their bags in the "A" corral aren't even the first passengers to arrive at the gate area. Just the first passengers who think they can hold a place in line, without waiting in line.

By the way, I love the authoritative-sounding "Sorry, you are wrong here." Notice that despite multiple attempts, nobody has been able to link to a policy which specifically says anything against using near-proximity baggage to hold a space in line. Please do keep trying though; its entertaining to read!
Old Apr 30, 2007, 1:54 pm

Programs: WN CP
nobody has been able to link to a policy which specifically says anything against using near-proximity baggage to hold a space in line.
Not every bit of common sense needs to be backed up by a policy. @:-)
Old Apr 30, 2007, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by tfmotors
If this nitwit did this to my bag... One would go for medical tratment and I would miss my flight ...
Sounds like a candidate for anger management! Unless you're within arm lengths, then it's an unattended bag.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Hey, I'd like to thank everyone for this entertaining thread. Ever since the "Kid kicked the back of my chair", and other fight thread died down, I've missed out on the entertaining, soap opera type discussions.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Sounds like a candidate for anger management! Unless you're within arm lengths, then it's an unattended bag.
@:-) So when you go to check bags and the ticket agent asks if your bag has been in your control at all times, you should reply, "no" if you have left the bag in your car / trunk while you were at work that day? After all, that is quite far from arm lengths.

Believe it or not, I am reading this whole thread in a state of amusement. My bags have held my place numerous times, and I have respected others' bags holding their places numerous times. Like I said, if you consider my bags which are a few feet from my person to be "unattended", feel free to *try* to move them. ^
Old Apr 30, 2007, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by curbcrusher
Not every bit of common sense needs to be backed up by a policy. @:-)
Oh come now, it can't be asking too much to request a specific definition of "unattended" from an agency which defines down to one exact size of ziplock baggie and a specific number of ounces of individual liquids one may carry.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 2:17 pm

@:-) So when you go to check bags and the ticket agent asks if your bag has been in your control at all times
Don't know what year you think this is, but this isn't asked anymore.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 2:20 pm

Oh come now, it can't be asking too much to request a specific definition of "unattended" from an agency which defines down to one exact size of ziplock baggie and a specific number of ounces of individual liquids one may carry.
Knock yourself out.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/customer/index.shtm
Old Apr 30, 2007, 2:27 pm

Don't know what year you think this is, but this isn't asked anymore.
it has been a while since i checked bags; i need to have them with me to hold my spot in the A-queue
Old Apr 30, 2007, 2:28 pm

still no specific definition of "unattended"; please do share the link if you find one though!
Old Apr 30, 2007, 2:29 pm

it has been a while since i checked bags; i need to have them with me to hold my spot in the A-queue
Old Apr 30, 2007, 2:30 pm

still no specific definition of "unattended"; please do share the link if you find one though!
My point was, if you want a definition of a word from the TSA, go ahead and ask them for it.
Old Apr 30, 2007, 2:32 pm

My point was, if you want a definition of a word from the TSA, go ahead and ask them for it.
my bad; i thought the implication was that the link had a definition. fwiw, i do not personally ask TSA policy questions anymore; never seemed to get the same answer twice in the past.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.