Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Placing baggage at front of A line to "hold" spot

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Placing baggage at front of A line to "hold" spot

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2007, 8:40 am

My 2 cents

People holding a spot in the line with their bag does not bother me as much as people who board and hold seats for their friends that did not get in the "A" line.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 8:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, AA EXP, WN A-List, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Related to this is how the chairs are arranged in the boarding area.

Often times, there is a line of seats which may be close to the A line. People sit in those seats and think that they are in line. Are they? Is the row of chairs the line? More than once, I have walked up only to be told..."the line is back there."...with me being pointed to the end of the row of chairs. My reply is "are you sitting down or are you in line? you can't be both...so pick one." And then I just turn around and move to the front. The line then quickly forms behind me.

Chairs should not be in any proximity to the front of the line at all.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 8:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
There are some advantages of travelling with teen/pre-teen kids: they get sent to get on the A line as soon as we clear security, while Mrs. CO FF and I head for coffee, food or other basic needs.

My teenage daugher nearly died of shame last year when, after having sent the kids to line up in PHL, we picked up a pizza for a pre-flight dinner (PHL terminal D), and I started walking along the gate area calling out "Is there a Ms. CO FF Jr. here who ordered a large pie?"
Old Apr 20, 2007, 11:16 am

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass American Admirals Club Lifetime,IHG Rewards Spire,HHonors Gold
Allows then to smoke a cigarette

I have seen some place the bag to hold their place so they can go to the bar
nearby and smoke a cigarette before they board.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 12:02 pm

If Southwest doesn't believe in reserving seats then th line shouldn't be reserved either
Old Apr 20, 2007, 12:11 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by hlmem
If Southwest doesn't believe in reserving seats then th line shouldn't be reserved either
Maybe Southwest can sell reserved places in the A line!
Old Apr 20, 2007, 12:35 pm
Suspended

I don't know what the problem is. Regardless of your place in line you simply board and go to your assigned seat and avoid all the aggravation and bitterness expressed in this thread....oh wait, this is Southwest...never mind.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM+, HHonors, Amtrak GuestRewards
I figure this is one of Southwest's competitive advantages: the line. By the time a plane is ready to board, many of the passengers are sick of being in line, and so are more eager to find a seat on the plane. This helps speed the boarding process.

-Hayden
Old Apr 20, 2007, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat; HH Gold; Marriott Silver; UCLA Fan
Originally Posted by Last Word
People holding a spot in the line with their bag does not bother me as much as people who board and hold seats for their friends that did not get in the "A" line.
I fly SW infrequently because of the seating process, but when I do, I manage to get an A ticket and show up early as I like to get an exit row aisle, if possible. If that is taken, I take the window. Sometimes, if it's a continuing flight, I'm out of luck as through passengers have priority as they don't leave the plane and grab those seats before I can get on, even if I'm first. However, if someone is "saving a seat" for an unboarded passenger, I won't respect that and will take the seat. The FA will back you up on this. Anyone have an experience where the FA allowed a passenger to save an unoccupied seat that a boarding passenger wanted?
Old Apr 20, 2007, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN DL UA AA CO US FL BA, PC Plat
Originally Posted by 4thplz
I am a stickler.
If you are in my gate area, there are no unattended bags.
You must be within arm's length of your bag.

If you aren't, I am going to bug you about it
If you were my gate agent, I'd send Customer Relations a nice compliment about you! ^

Last edited by vaikinas2; Apr 20, 2007 at 3:45 pm
Old Apr 20, 2007, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by CO FF
My teenage daugher nearly died of shame last year when, after having sent the kids to line up in PHL, we picked up a pizza for a pre-flight dinner (PHL terminal D), and I started walking along the gate area calling out "Is there a Ms. CO FF Jr. here who ordered a large pie?"
Very funny

Last edited by 4thplz; Apr 20, 2007 at 5:46 pm Reason: correction
Old Apr 20, 2007, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVP, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Hartmann
It is abuse.. It's like me going to the grocery store, getting in the check-out line, leaving my cart there and going next door for a sandwich.
Ummm, not even close. You would be holding up the line.

Originally Posted by xanthuos
I don't see how it is different from two or more people traveling together and one person being left to watch 5+ bags in line, while the others go for something to eat or use the facilities, etc.
Exactly. Nobody has explained why groups are entitled to special line privileges, ie. bathroom breaks, but solo travelers are not.

Originally Posted by lewisc
Just my opinion but getting to the gate early isn't enough, the passenger has to be willing to forgo sitting in a chair. That is to say the passenger has to be willing to stand or sit on the floor.
Sorry, but I'm not going to sit on an unsanitary floor or forego seated comfort just to satisfy your concept of proper queue etiquette.

Originally Posted by ymn
I agree with the previous poster. I see no harm in placing your bag in line when there are empty chairs nearby. But, it would not be right to leave the bag and then go shopping.
Agree 100%. I have no problem if anyone wants to call security for a bag whose owner is not in visual range (obviously the owner doesn't value the contents, either).

Originally Posted by 4thplz
I am a stickler.
If you are in my gate area, there are no unattended bags.
You must be within arm's length of your bag.

If you aren't, I am going to bug you about it
I would say I'll enjoy telling you off but I don't mouth off to CSRs. And these days I'm preboarding most of the time so it won't be an issue for you as my infant and I will be waltzing by the entire A line

Originally Posted by nsx
What I still don't understand is why anyone would get worked up about this.
Agree 100%. But I suspect the people who stand feel really stupid when everyone else refuses to follow "their rules". And it is even more amusing knowing that many of the people standing in the A line will end up with no tangible benefit, i.e. time savings or improved seating, as they will still be waiting with everyone else for checked baggage.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 5:31 pm

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, SWA A+, SPG Titanium, Avis Chairman
That is a very good idea about telling security. I am going to keep that in mind when telling a GA doesn't work. When I travel alone I camp in line to get an exit row. At over 6 feet, 3 inches I need the leg room. When I travel in a group, I usually hang in the bar until the A group is ready to go. However, when I get to the gate and bags are sitting there, I have no problem telling the GA and walking in front of them. At the very least, the owners get off their butts and come form a proper line.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 5:49 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Am I the only one here who thinks standing in line the whole time is pointless when there are other ways to establish who got to the gate first?

Or is the point merely that people would like to get a better place in line than is warranted based on their arrival time at the gate, and they are looking for any excuse to get it? Such as: "I am willing to stand in place like a heifer from the instant I arrive at the gate. You are not willing to stand, therefore I should get priority."

Personally, I don't see that either side of the argument has logic fully on its side. This debate turns on what you feel is right, and that in turn depends heavily on your self-interest. Just my opinion.
Old Apr 20, 2007, 7:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN DL UA AA CO US FL BA, PC Plat
Originally Posted by edlin303
That is a very good idea about telling security. I am going to keep that in mind when telling a GA doesn't work. When I travel alone I camp in line to get an exit row. At over 6 feet, 3 inches I need the leg room. When I travel in a group, I usually hang in the bar until the A group is ready to go. However, when I get to the gate and bags are sitting there, I have no problem telling the GA and walking in front of them. At the very least, the owners get off their butts and come form a proper line.
I totally agree. I'm also 6'4", so trying to get the exit row or the window seat with no seat in front of it is more of a necessity than a convenience. I get to the gate at least an hour before the flight and stand in the A line. More than once, bags were already placed in the A line when I arrived; when these people reunited with their bags and boarding started, they headed straight for the exit rows, and they were usually in the 5'5" -5'8" range.

Last edited by vaikinas2; Apr 21, 2007 at 2:50 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.