Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Official schedule extension prediction thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official schedule extension prediction thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2011, 1:44 pm

Programs: WN RR (Informed Kettle)
From http://www.southwest.com/html/travel-tools/index.html (Same place it's always been):

We are currently accepting air reservations through March 9, 2012. On September 5, we will open our schedule for sale through April 9, 2012. This date is subject to change! Please check back frequently.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 1:15 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Current estimate for the next go-round:
On October 3, we will open our schedule for sale through June 1, 2012.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 1:05 pm

Programs: wn
When will schedule be extended?

I haven't been flying for a couple of years but am planning a cruise to Alaska out of Seattle. I would love to fly BWI-SEA. Anyone know when abouts I should expect they will extend the calendar out to June?

Anyone know about how much it would cost? Would it be around $400? I can book another airline now for $404.

Last edited by mbres; Sep 21, 2011 at 1:14 pm
Old Sep 21, 2011, 5:05 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Please add you flight dates and approx times. Allow half a day or more margin on the outbound (e.g. overnight on shore) so that a flight delay does not wipe out your cruise.

If your flights are Friday or Sunday, Southwest will usually not be price-competitive with advance purchase from other airlines. Other days of the week are much easier and you can afford to wait. Past the first week, June is peak season. Southwest is well known here for charging top dollar for peak flights, and for holding prices high until 8 to 12 weeks before flight time.

If you are flying midweek, then I think it's safe to wait. But unless you are willing to wait until April to book, I would grab the low fare from the other guys or book a mileage seat if you have miles.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 5:48 pm

Programs: wn
Thanks for the very useful information! Yes, I would be flying out on Friday the day before the cruise and returning home on Sunday the day after. I think I will purchase on the other airline.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 7:51 pm

Location: Midwest United States (and anywhere a cheap fare takes me)
Programs: Marriott (Gold), Hilton (Gold), SWA (CP), Hertz (5*), UA (Nobody), AA (Lifetime Gold)
Originally Posted by mbres
Thanks for the very useful information! Yes, I would be flying out on Friday the day before the cruise and returning home on Sunday the day after. I think I will purchase on the other airline.
Getting there the night before is a great idea. Not only are flight delays possible, but lost luggage is a real problem when on a cruise.

The day after is your call, but they usually kick you off the ship early in the day, so an afternoon flight would work.
Old Sep 30, 2011, 12:23 pm

Is there a projected date for the next schedule?

I thought the Wiki page had mentioned early Oct for the next slew of dates, but I didn't see it when I looked earlier. Does anyone know when SW might announce the next group of dates (and those into the future)?
Old Sep 30, 2011, 1:44 pm
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

See above.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 6:12 am

How to Find Out When Booking Schedule Advances

Is there any way that I can register for an email or other notification when Southwest advances its booking schedule? I want to book an award as soon as the window opens up (under the old system).
Old Jan 6, 2012, 6:29 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
No, but you can pay attention to this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...on-thread.html
Old Jan 6, 2012, 7:32 am

To know the date that they expect, from southwest.com, Travel Tools at the upper right, View All Travel Tools. As they say, check back because they can change from what was first announced. There's also a Ding announcement if you download Ding, but don't count on it coming right at the moment the schedule's up.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Perhaps the schedule will be extended on Sunday, January 22nd...

...based on the following quote from this press release...

"Today's announcements will be incorporated into both Southwest's and AirTran's flight schedules that will publish on Jan. 22, 2012, for travel beginning Aug. 12, 2012"
Old Jan 20, 2012, 2:02 pm

That's what the Travel Tools page says.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by rove312
That's what the Travel Tools page says.
I didn't see that ("On January 22, 2012, we will open our schedule for sale through September 28, 2012. This date is subject to change! Please check back frequently.").

How often has WN posted the date of the schedule extensions (along with the date through which it will be extended) on there before?
Old Jan 20, 2012, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
10/3 & 10/14

I'll need to fly BOI-MDW on 10/3 and return 10/14 or 10/15. I'm guessing these dates will not be included in the next extension, right? They 'seem' to add about 35-45 days with each extension. I'll be using old RR 1 certs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.