Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

"Cash + Points" as a new other form of payment

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2024, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Too confusing for me to figure out the value, and I need to spend cash to earn CP and AL+. Just booked a flight with a Flight Credit and saw this option for the first time
Attached Images  
nsx likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 4:22 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Penny a point. Better than "miles and more" gifts cards (.67 cent per point) and less than the 1.3 penny per point (a somewhat accepted general value here - not sure if that's changed recently).

Not sure why to use them this way except to burn off low balance accounts.

Actually could be a $50 off gift to the millions of infrequent travelers thrown billions of points after the meltdowns. But who will tell them?
dmbolp likes this.

Last edited by joshua362; Apr 30, 2024 at 4:54 pm Reason: typo, extra thought.
Old Apr 30, 2024, 9:02 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, WN A-List
Originally Posted by joshua362
Penny a point. Better than "miles and more" gifts cards (.67 cent per point) and less than the 1.3 penny per point (a somewhat accepted general value here - not sure if that's changed recently).

Not sure why to use them this way except to burn off low balance accounts.

Actually could be a $50 off gift to the millions of infrequent travelers thrown billions of points after the meltdowns. But who will tell them?
The Cash+Points bookings count as tier qualifying segments for status, so for folks needing segments and not wanting to pay full price and/or with points to burn, this could be a worthwhile option.
nsx, synergistic, ryw and 1 others like this.
Old May 1, 2024, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by TravelBrighter
The Cash+Points bookings count as tier qualifying segments for status, so for folks needing segments and not wanting to pay full price and/or with points to burn, this could be a worthwhile option.
I had to go check this, can hardly believe it's true. I'm a segment qualifier, very grateful for this bone being thrown!
jmw likes this.
Old May 1, 2024, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by dmbolp
Too confusing for me to figure out the value, and I need to spend cash to earn CP and AL+. Just booked a flight with a Flight Credit and saw this option for the first time
Seems like they adjusted the valuation.
Now it's awful:
Old May 1, 2024, 10:59 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by HighFlyinChar
Seems like they adjusted the valuation.
Now it's awful:
I still see the same $.01/point when I try it.
Old May 1, 2024, 2:20 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
They must be testing different rates to see what the market will bear.
Old May 2, 2024, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Anything less that $.01 per point is foolish. Okay for someone that has some orphaned points, but in general...
Old May 2, 2024, 7:46 pm
jmw

So if you snooze, you might lose on a valuation basis. Don't be hoarding your points. They might will become the equivalent of SkyPesos someday.
joshua362 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.