Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Beat of Hawaii: Southwest Airlines Trims Hawaii Routes By Over 50%

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beat of Hawaii: Southwest Airlines Trims Hawaii Routes By Over 50%

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2024, 12:53 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by diver858
With that said: many of the prognosticators suggested AS would retreat when WN entered the HI market; I am still able to fly nonstop between SAN and 4 major islands on AS, WN is now down to 1 or 2.
I think it very much depends on the market. AS used to fly routes like SJC/OAK-OGG which they no longer do.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Hawaii and Mexico are rapidly pricing themselves out of the market. Even if you somehow find a cheap room the restaurants and everything else is priced as high as SF, NYC, etc. It's not worth it when you can save a lot by flying to Europe where there are plenty of summer beaches. And if you have more time there is South Asia as well.

AA, DL and especially UA have been making money on these routes for years, not to mention HA despite new entrants that come and go. There is only so long you can burn money on $99 fares and bare bones service does not appeal to everyone. I would never fly WN to Hawaii even with CPs
Old Mar 28, 2024, 9:09 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
We have been traveling to Hawaii since the 1970s and have always heard the "Hawaii is expensive" refrain.
To us, it never appeared to be THAT more expensive than any large US city and we traveled there frequently.
We visited Hawaii 5 times during the pandemic and found prices to be very reasonable for hotels, airfare, and rental cars.
However, on our last trip to Waikiki 3 months ago we found the prices of everything to be noticeably higher than pre-pandemic...perhaps 15% higher or more. This may be a deterrent to Southwest customers.

Also, I suspect that many airline seats to Hawaii are occupied with persons traveling on points or with a companion pass, which are not revenue generating.

Southwest's Hawaii service was begun, in large part, to give Southwest Rapid Rewards customers a domestic aspirational vacation destination. The lack of such a perk was a major criticism of the Company Club/Rapid Rewards program after the bankruptcy of Southwest's partner, ATA airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.