Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest Airlines Credit Card Strategy

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2023, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Cool Southwest Airlines Credit Card Strategy

I hate the idea of participating in churning credit cards to maximize rewards, yet this might be a great time to take advantage of a deal.

My wife and I are planning (2) trips on Southwest flights in 2024. Total flight costs are estimated around $2,500.

I do not have a Southwest credit card, but my wife does. If I sign up for the Southwest Rapid Rewards credit card, I earn 50,000 bonus points if I spend $1,000 in the first 3 months. My wife would receive 20,000 points for referring me - in total we would earn 70,000 points. Based on NerdWallet's website, each point is worth about $0.015 so I'm calculating total points worth $1,050.

There is a $69 annual fee associated with the card.

After I receive the points, and pay the annual fee, I would discontinue / close the credit card.

Does anyone see any glaring issues with my plan? Is there a better strategy out there?

Thank you!
Old Jan 1, 2024, 11:32 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Referring your spouse (or other relative) for the 20k bonus is a solid strategy. I did it twice last year and earned 40k bonus.

One thing to consider is that there are 3 personal Chase Southwest cards. The $69 annual fee corresponds to the lowest tier card. The middle and top tier cards charge higher fees but have benefit that may more than offset the difference for you. It depends on your travel and spending patterns. Take a look at the options before you choose.
screeton likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 6:03 am

Programs: WN
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Referring your spouse (or other relative) for the 20k bonus is a solid strategy. I did it twice last year and earned 40k bonus.

One thing to consider is that there are 3 personal Chase Southwest cards. The $69 annual fee corresponds to the lowest tier card. The middle and top tier cards charge higher fees but have benefit that may more than offset the difference for you. It depends on your travel and spending patterns. Take a look at the options before you choose.
^^this. as a frequent SW flyer the free wifi and annual bonus points more than cover my annual fees
Old Jan 2, 2024, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Nothing really wrong with that strategy.

for what it is worth, I got two cards in November. And after $8,000 in spend we will pick up almost 200,000 points in two weeks. Because of that, we will have Companion Pass for the next two years, plus all those miles. So, all free travel.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 1:19 pm

There is nothing wrong with your strategy per se. That said, you did just miss the increased sign-up bonus of 75K.
Historically, Chase & Southwest offer an increased sign-up bonus for Southwest credit cards right between October and early December: Discussion of Chase RR Visa 40K-75K sigunup points offers -- NO REFERRALS! - Page 301 - FlyerTalk Forums

Many of us sign-up for these increased offers during November, spend most of the way through the holiday season - but holding back from getting the bonus until Jan 1st.
When timed properly, you could get the Companion Pass for almost 2 full years.
NoStressHere likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, WN CP, National EE, Hertz PC, Avis PC, Hilton Diamond, Sheraton Gold
Originally Posted by jerryfreak
the free wifi
How does the credit card provide free wifi? My understanding is that its free for a-list preferred and higher.. Or are you just noting the fast track to a-list preferred with the points on the credit card?
Old Jan 4, 2024, 1:48 pm

Semi related, but I just tried and was denied because of Chase's 24 month reward policy which means their personal card will not be approved until two years after the reward was issued (points). In my case I forgot that the card I applied for in late 2020 earned two rewards, 50k points after spending $1k and another 50k points after spending $15k (or some similar amount). Anyway, I loved earning these points at the time but now realize that has really messed up my attempt to earn companion pass in early 2024. I was approved for the Chase RR business card so will get $80k after spending $5k but like your idea to have my wife open a separate account so I can earn the 20k points....just need to find one more. :-)
Bearbear likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
the top biz card comes with free wifi. Charge it and then get it credited back.
nyc2socal likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KCEngineer
Semi related, but I just tried and was denied because of Chase's 24 month reward policy which means their personal card will not be approved until two years after the reward was issued (points). In my case I forgot that the card I applied for in late 2020 earned two rewards, 50k points after spending $1k and another 50k points after spending $15k (or some similar amount). Anyway, I loved earning these points at the time but now realize that has really messed up my attempt to earn companion pass in early 2024. I was approved for the Chase RR business card so will get $80k after spending $5k but like your idea to have my wife open a separate account so I can earn the 20k points....just need to find one more. :-)
MAYBE
Or have your wife open personal and biz card, then you get CP until the end of 2025. ALTERNATE every two years
Old Jan 5, 2024, 5:11 pm

Yes another good suggestion, but since my work ends up paying for several of my trips (conferences or work trips) it is better for me to have the companion pass so she flies free and my company pays for my ticket (win-win) but agree that would help with the new 24 month reward blackout.

After reading lots of others having issues getting the biz card I was surprised how easy that was to get approved so probably should have done that one sooner....live and learn...
Old Jan 10, 2024, 5:57 pm

Programs: WN A-List
Originally Posted by KCEngineer
Semi related, but I just tried and was denied because of Chase's 24 month reward policy…
Same here, applied for the 75k card and was denied. They couldn’t tell me why on the phone why, since it had been over 30 days, but this has to be the reason. Is it two years since the last (signup) bonus points posting?
Old Mar 17, 2024, 2:46 pm

I ended up getting approved for two separate Chase SW RR Biz Cards (Performance & Premier). So will just wait until December 2025 to go for the personal RR cards to get back in sync. Glad it worked, but more hassle than I thought it would be.
Bearbear likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Dunbar
Same here, applied for the 75k card and was denied. They couldn’t tell me why on the phone why, since it had been over 30 days, but this has to be the reason. Is it two years since the last (signup) bonus points posting?

Yes its 24 months from the last bonus posting. Not from when you got the card.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 10:56 am

If somebody has a Biz and Personal SW card. Both were obtained over two years ago. Can you cancel one (say the personal), how much time do you have to let pass before applying for a new card and getting a new bonus applied? Assume no issues with 5/24 policies.

Thanks
RICH
Old Mar 25, 2024, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by ave1024
If somebody has a Biz and Personal SW card. Both were obtained over two years ago. Can you cancel one (say the personal), how much time do you have to let pass before applying for a new card and getting a new bonus applied? Assume no issues with 5/24 policies.

Thanks
RICH
I would wait a week. Not sure there is a exact timeframe, as long as you are 24+ months from the last time a bonus posted.

But to be clear you want to get a new Personal, and Biz in the same year, so you can get the companion pass. If you have to have points this year, then you can still do both, and get a pass for the rest of 24 and all of 25. Or wait until late this year and get both, so points post in early 25, so you have it all of 25 and 26.

Last edited by daw4888; Mar 25, 2024 at 11:31 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.