Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest Airlines Credit Card Strategy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2024, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by daw4888
Yes its 24 months from the last bonus posting. Not from when you got the card.
Depending on your flying situtation, you can alternate who gets the cards every other year. Wife and I switch off as we travel together anyways.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, WN CP AList
Originally Posted by KCEngineer
I ended up getting approved for two separate Chase SW RR Biz Cards (Performance & Premier). So will just wait until December 2025 to go for the personal RR cards to get back in sync. Glad it worked, but more hassle than I thought it would be.
Did you do anything special for the 2 biz card strategy? Any advice?
Old Mar 25, 2024, 1:59 pm

While OP asks about credit card strategy, there may be a way to end up with significant savings if OP can take a RT prior to 22May and if either or both trips with the spouse is in Aug or Sept. The current Companion Pass promotion would let OP get a short term companion pass this year just by purchasing a RT fare themselves in the next day or 2 to fly before 22May. If either of the big trips is in the Aug 5-Oct 2 window, the cost of that trip would be halved. Since the trips are estimated to be pricey, it might be worth it.

If the above worked as a cost saver, maybe OP could defer credit card referrals/acquisitions until Nov-Dec and then maybe get Companion passes for 2025-26.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Bearbear
Did you do anything special for the 2 biz card strategy? Any advice?

No if you read the language on the biz cards, they dont have the same restriction as the personal cards. The bonus's on the two biz cards are totally independent of each other, and each have their own 24 month clock, per business.

Also the 24 month clock is per business. So if you have multiple businesses, you can get each card for each business as well.
nsx and Bearbear like this.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
We have also seen 80k on the biz card if that matters to some.

Personally I would wait unless there is zero chance to game out a companion pass, or alternatively if you need a few months to charge and cycle up to 135k points. Even then the better course is to start near the end of the year so the CP is good for almost 2 years.

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Depending on your flying situtation, you can alternate who gets the cards every other year. Wife and I switch off as we travel together anyways.
Ditto, though we sometimes travel with kids and without spouse. For that reason I am currently debating whether to work for another CP so we each have one. But I really don't want to waste another Chase 5/24 slot yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.