Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Get Limited Companion Pass, book by 4/9 if already registered, was 3/28 (was 3/27)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Get Limited Companion Pass, book by 4/9 if already registered, was 3/28 (was 3/27)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2024, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker

Wanna bring a friend for free* every time you fly?Here’s how:

1. Register now, then purchase one round trip
or two one-way flights by 3/27.2. Travel by 5/22.

3. Companion flies free* with you 8/5-10/2/2024.

this came from SWA home page Monday morning.

Last edited by NoStressHere; Mar 28, 2024 at 12:15 pm
Old Mar 25, 2024, 9:42 am

Yeah, got the email about it earlier today. If you have some travel planned in those windows its nice. But we are traveling in July, and mid-October so we miss the windows this time around.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 10:00 am

Programs: United, delta, AA, Alaskan, Frontier, Hilton Gold, Hyatt, Chase Sapphire
Sounds like you can't use points. Do flight credit dollars count as a cash payment?
Old Mar 25, 2024, 11:41 am

Programs: SWA Alist, Companion Pass
Originally Posted by shanna135
Sounds like you can't use points. Do flight credit dollars count as a cash payment?
yes
Old Mar 25, 2024, 12:56 pm

Any idea whether one can change companion designations under the normal frequency rules?
Old Mar 25, 2024, 1:06 pm

Programs: SWA Alist, Companion Pass
Originally Posted by xooz
Any idea whether one can change companion designations under the normal frequency rules?
from FAQ:

Q: How many times can I change my designated Companion?
  • A: You may change your designated Companion up to three times during the promotional Companion Pass period. If you achieve Companion Pass in 2024 by earning 135,000 Companion Pass qualifying points or flying 100 qualifying flights, any changes to the designated Companion during the time you have a promotional Companion Pass will reduce the number of changes you can make to your designated Companion in the 2024 calendar year. For example, if you earned a promotional Companion Pass through this promotion, changed your designated Companion twice during the validity period for promotional Companion Pass, and then later in 2024 earned a Companion Pass, you would only be able to change your designated Companion one more time in 2024.
xooz likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by oceanbreeez
from FAQ:

Q: How many times can I change my designated Companion?
  • A: You may change your designated Companion up to three times during the promotional Companion Pass period. If you achieve Companion Pass in 2024 by earning 135,000 Companion Pass qualifying points or flying 100 qualifying flights, any changes to the designated Companion during the time you have a promotional Companion Pass will reduce the number of changes you can make to your designated Companion in the 2024 calendar year. For example, if you earned a promotional Companion Pass through this promotion, changed your designated Companion twice during the validity period for promotional Companion Pass, and then later in 2024 earned a Companion Pass, you would only be able to change your designated Companion one more time in 2024.
Duuhhh...Me read pretty one day....
Thanks!
oceanbreeez likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 4:09 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
I did this last year for a companion pass for 1/8 to 3/8 which mades sense to me. August and September should be pretty busy so these dates surprise me.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 5:03 pm
jmw

Originally Posted by abk
I did this last year for a companion pass for 1/8 to 3/8 which mades sense to me. August and September should be pretty busy so these dates surprise me.
Agreed. Those are some juicy dates. Southwest must be really struggling. But at the same time they don't want to drop those MSRP sky high prices and lose pricing control like we talked about the other day with the $120 intra-CA fares.

It's a bit like the old Braniff BOGO sale where if you bought one ticket, you get a free one in the Fall right before Braniff went bust. WN is not going to Braniff, but they are not doing well.
dlaue likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Would re-booking on the same flight for a $20 higher fare class count as booking a new ticket?
Old Mar 25, 2024, 9:41 pm

I registered today. I have a one way in late April, non stop MCI to LAX using points (at around $140 in points). This is the only time that I’m flying during the promotional period. I’m considering canceling my points flight and paying for 2 one way tickets; MCI to DEN and DEN to LAX. The cost for both would be $180-$190. I called Southwest and they said this would qualify. I asked if I could have my 2 bags checked through to LAX they said I could ask but was non committal on whether they would do it for me. I’m assuming that 2.5 to 3 hours is enough in Denver to retrieve bags and check them in again. Does that sound feasible?
Old Mar 26, 2024, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by Air Houston
Would re-booking on the same flight for a $20 higher fare class count as booking a new ticket?
If you do a change, maybe not.
Cancelling and then booking a new ticket is... well, a new ticket.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 11:53 am

I bit the bullet and combined this promo and the Hyatt promo. Booked RT to MIA for $143 and 2 nights at the less than stellar Dream Hotel on Miami beach. Get some beach time, Companion pass for late summer and 4 EQN at Hyatt.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 7:00 am

Programs: United, delta, AA, Alaskan, Frontier, Hilton Gold, Hyatt, Chase Sapphire
Do you get the 2 month companion pass after completing your flights? So better to complete your flights early ( April instead of May) to meet the terms so you can use the the companion pass to book flights in the 2 month window.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by shanna135
Do you get the 2 month companion pass after completing your flights? So better to complete your flights early ( April instead of May) to meet the terms so you can use the the companion pass to book flights in the 2 month window.
Based on similar past promos, you won't get the CP until August 5th or so. Southwest doesn't have a way to award a CP but only allow it to be used for flights after a certain date. They are able to prevent you from using it the following year if you haven't yet earned it for that next year (or after the promo period).

Edit: and from the promo FAQs:

Q: When can I designate my Companion after earning promotional Companion Pass through this offer?
A: You'll be able to designate a Companion after the promotional Companion Pass is awarded to your account (August 5, 2024)

Q: How can I designate my initial Companion and make changes to my Companion?
A: After the promotional Companion Pass is awarded to your account (August 5, 2024), you can designate your initial Companion within My Account on Southwest.com® or by calling Southwest at 1-800-435-9792. To change your Companion, you must call 1-800-435-9792

Q: If I book a reservation prior to August 5, 2024 for travel between August 5-October 2, 2024, when can I book my Companion's reservation?
A: After the promotional Companion Pass has been awarded to your account (August 5, 2024), and you've designated your Companion, you can book your Companion's reservation (subject to flight capacity and availability at the time of booking the promotional Companion Pass)

https://www.southwest.com/loyalty/my...59&clk=CB96259

Last edited by dmbolp; Mar 27, 2024 at 8:27 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.