Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pre Boarding

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2023, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
It's that long walk thing. I know plenty of folks who don't use wheelchairs at home but to get from the curb to the counter to a distant gate is a much longer distance than they walk on a regular basis. And the return with waiting at baggage claim and if it's international add all that walking/standing, I am not surprised at all by that figure.

You'll get old one day and maybe not be amazed at what older folks can and cannot do.
Anecdotally, the people who request this are typically overweight. It seems to me less about being elderly and more about being out of shape. People who are elderly but in shape typically prefer to stay on their own two feet as long as possible.
screeton and johnjagg like this.
Old May 22, 2023, 2:42 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by m907
Anecdotally, the people who request this are typically overweight. It seems to me less about being elderly and more about being out of shape. People who are elderly but in shape typically prefer to stay on their own two feet as long as possible.
Not what I've noticed. Just older folks. Of all weights. But yeah, I can see someone who is overweight and perhaps has medical conditions have difficulty with the amount of walking required to transit many airports.
Old May 22, 2023, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Airlines, Marriot
They seem to magically get healed on the Pickleball Courts also.
joshua362 likes this.
Old May 22, 2023, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Maybe if the "overweight" people would walk, they can help their problem...
Old May 24, 2023, 11:13 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Originally Posted by Blitzjb
Maybe if the "overweight" people would walk, they can help their problem...
Maybe. Or maybe it's a medical condition

I'm not sure of the goal of the last two posts . . .
Old May 24, 2023, 11:20 am

Programs: DL MM Gold
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
I'm not sure of the goal of the last two posts . . .
Just a classic judgy attitude, assuming the worst cause instead of giving fellow travelers the benefit of the doubt.
Old May 25, 2023, 5:40 am
Original Poster

You should be angry at the 99% of pre boarders that can run a marathon but need to pre board a plane? Have you never been on SWA "miracle flight"? The entire pre board process is the laughing stock of the airline industry and all of mankind.
Old May 25, 2023, 7:39 am

The entire pre board process is the laughing stock of the airline industry and all of mankind.
Drama much?
Old May 25, 2023, 9:31 am

You should be angry at the 99% of pre boarders that can run a marathon but need to pre board a plane? Have you never been on SWA "miracle flight"? The entire pre board process is the laughing stock of the airline industry and all of mankind.
We get it, dude.

Appreciate your good health, and remember: There but for the grace . . .
Old May 25, 2023, 9:56 am

Programs: WN CP, HHonors, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Premier,LaQuinta Elite, Amtrak
I am very sympathetic to the needs of truly disabled or mobility impaired passengers, regardless of the cause. Their travel experience is often very challenging beyond what the rest of us regularly endure, and getting them on the plane first and in seats near the front (for convenience of all) is as it should be. The problem comes with those who seem to be gaming the system. Don't request a wheelchair at the flight origin, and then totally disregard the FA request to stay seated and wait for wheelchairs at the destination. I cannot count the times that the jetway been blocked for other passengers trying to make a tight connection, when a formerly wheelchair bound patient is determined with their multiple caregivers to walk off the plane rather than wait 5 minutes for a wheelchair. As they SLOWLY walk off, blocking the exit for all passengers behind them, the legitimacy of their "need" for preboarding gets called into question.

Family boarding is another issue... I very much understand the need of parents to sit with kids, especially smaller kids. However, in order to be assured of that arrangement, asking them to seat from the rear of the plane seems a reasonable accommodation. They frequently have a lot of carry-on luggage (within limits on the "person" count, but requiring the adult to juggle more bags plus kids) and not having to wait on that process during deplaning would be a benefit for other passengers.
jjbiv and steved5480 like this.
Old May 27, 2023, 7:14 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Oh good, another preboard thread. Haven't seen one in a while.
I would mandate pre boarders sit in the back of the plane
That would be illegal.
Originally Posted by Slothtastic
This is the single dumbest thing SW does. Make them sit in the back and no one will preboard unless they absolutely need to. No other airline has 10 people in wheelchairs, 15 families, and and 5 random people with "medical issues" that get to board before everyone on every flight. A30 might as well be C at this point.

Board these people first if you must but put them in the last 10 rows.
Ever heard the saying "better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and leave no doubt"?
Originally Posted by Slothtastic
Then put them in the back of the plane. Remove the "benefit" and watch how few people actually use this service. And the ones that still truly need it will have a far better time on their flight without being marginalized by entitled people.
Oh the irony. Speaking of marginalized, you thinking that preboarding is a "benefit" for someone who is disabled.

You don't see this on other airlines because those airlines don't have open seating. You wouldn't see it on WN if they had assigned seats. WN has to comply with the applicable laws based on their model. So you have 4 choices:
  1. don't worry about everyone else and continue to fly WN
  2. Fly a different airline
  3. Get WN to change it's model and have assigned seating
  4. Get the laws changed
I understand people abuse the current procedure. Shame on them. But the fix isn't to make it harder for those that need it.
Tanic and wrp96 like this.
Old May 28, 2023, 8:39 am

First-row seats with movable aisle armrests: 700s yes, 800s no. The mobility-impaired must love that.

AFAIK, Southwest is not compelled to reassign a seat taken by another passenger. Travelers with a fused or immobilized leg needing a seat which has more legroom can - pardon the snark - punt.

Pre-boarding is a gesture and a shrug.
Old May 28, 2023, 1:52 pm

On a flight this week, the pre-boarders, most of whom were not very old but overweight and accompanied by able-bodied and younger family members, occupied the entirety of the first four rows.

There are always people with disabilities you can't see. But that doesn't constitute 100% of these situations. In an evacuation scenario, truly disabled people would be a risk to themselves and others being positioned nearest the front door.
Old May 28, 2023, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by m907
In an evacuation scenario, truly disabled people would be a risk to themselves and others being positioned nearest the front door.
I kinda think this has been studied and approved based on facts and experience rather than random online musings.
Old May 28, 2023, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by LegalTender

First-row seats with movable aisle armrests: 700s yes, 800s no. The mobility-impaired must love that.

AFAIK, Southwest is not compelled to reassign a seat taken by another passenger. Travelers with a fused or immobilized leg needing a seat which has more legroom can - pardon the snark - punt.

Pre-boarding is a gesture and a shrug.
As far as fixed or moveable armrest, for many it makes no difference. But if it does, then they can choose the row behind.
As far as reassigning seats, I suppose that would really only be an issue with someone boarding a through flight. And if that someone has a fused or immobilized leg, 382.21(d) says the airline
must provide a bulkhead seat or other seat that provides greater legroom than other seats, on the side of an aisle that better accommodates the individual's disability.
So presumably if someone without a disability is in that seat on a through flight, WN would move them, no?

Pre-boarding is greatly appreciated by those that truly need it, on every airline, not just WN. At least in my experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.