Wiki Posts
Search

Pre Boarding

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2023 | 6:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Airlines, Marriot
Pre Boarding

I really need to shoot a documentary on the SWA pre board circus and its miraculous healing abilities. What other airline do you need a wheelchair to board and become a Olympic sprinter at the destination.?
Old May 16, 2023 | 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Years on Site

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
The "pre-board" and "service dog" thing is out of control.

And really no good answers.
Old May 16, 2023 | 8:21 am
20 Years on Site

Programs: LTP, PP
"Another miracle flight!"

FA to unneeded wheeler chair Attendants in the jetway at the end of ISP-MCO a few years back.

Last edited by joshua362; May 16, 2023 at 8:29 am
Old May 17, 2023 | 5:55 am
Original Poster

I would mandate pre boarders sit in the back of the plane
screeton and IndyHoosier like this.
Old May 17, 2023 | 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
20 Years on Site

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by Blitzjb
I would mandate pre boarders sit in the back of the plane
I love the idea, but the reality of many of the "real" preboarders is that they have trouble walking very far. And if a wheelchair, getting to the back of the plane would take a long time.
screeton likes this.
Old May 17, 2023 | 8:26 am
10 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Anyone see a distinction between "Medical" preboards and "Extra Time" preboarders?

My specific seating need is that I am physically incapable of climbing over other passengers.
NoStressHere likes this.
Old May 17, 2023 | 11:51 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by LegalTender
Anyone see a distinction between "Medical" preboards and "Extra Time" preboarders? My specific seating need is that I am physically incapable of climbing over other passengers.
WN makes that distinction. Medical Preboards, which include specific seating needs, board prior to A1. eXtra Time "preboards" board after A-60.
Old May 18, 2023 | 5:49 am
Original Poster

If they had to sit at the back - they would not fake it and need to pre board
Old May 18, 2023 | 5:49 am
Original Poster

It seems lately that all of the pre boarders - real and fake are boarding 1st.
Slothtastic likes this.
Old May 18, 2023 | 2:39 pm

This is the single dumbest thing SW does. Make them sit in the back and no one will preboard unless they absolutely need to. No other airline has 10 people in wheelchairs, 15 families, and and 5 random people with "medical issues" that get to board before everyone on every flight. A30 might as well be C at this point.

Board these people first if you must but put them in the last 10 rows.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old May 18, 2023 | 6:35 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Slothtastic
This is the single dumbest thing SW does. Make them sit in the back and no one will preboard unless they absolutely need to. No other airline has 10 people in wheelchairs, 15 families, and and 5 random people with "medical issues" that get to board before everyone on every flight. A30 might as well be C at this point. Board these people first if you must but put them in the last 10 rows.
WN is required to comply with federal law 14 CFR 382.85 (b):

On flights where advance seat assignments are not offered, you must provide seating accommodations under this section by allowing passengers to board the aircraft before other passengers, including other preboarded passengers, so that the individuals needing seating accommodations can select seats that best meet their needs.
justhere likes this.
Old May 18, 2023 | 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic
WN is required to comply with federal law 14 CFR 382.85 (b):
Then put them in the back of the plane. Remove the "benefit" and watch how few people actually use this service. And the ones that still truly need it will have a far better time on their flight without being marginalized by entitled people.
IndyHoosier and Blitzjb like this.
Old May 19, 2023 | 6:49 am
10 Countries Visited20 Years on Site

Apparently, throughs are not considered "other preboarded passengers" under the law. Nor do "seats that best suit their needs" include rows with extra legroom.

Disabled passengers should refuse to fly.
Old May 20, 2023 | 1:43 pm
20 Years on Site

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Originally Posted by Blitzjb
I really need to shoot a documentary on the SWA pre board circus and its miraculous healing abilities. What other airline do you need a wheelchair to board and become a Olympic sprinter at the destination.?
I've seen the exact opposite occur on international flights where there is a long walk to customs. I came off a Turkish flight at IAD that had 45 wheelchairs waiting (I counted... they were all the way up the jetway and down the sterile corridor).

When I was an airline station manager, I took part in a wheelchair/disabled passengers task force at a major airport. Per the statistics from Open Doors Organization itself (advocacy for disabled travelers), EIGHTY PERCENT of people who use a wheelchair in the airport do not require one for their daily life.

joshua362 likes this.
Old May 21, 2023 | 5:30 am
10 Years on Site

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by JAXPax
I've seen the exact opposite occur on international flights where there is a long walk to customs. I came off a Turkish flight at IAD that had 45 wheelchairs waiting (I counted... they were all the way up the jetway and down the sterile corridor).

When I was an airline station manager, I took part in a wheelchair/disabled passengers task force at a major airport. Per the statistics from Open Doors Organization itself (advocacy for disabled travelers), EIGHTY PERCENT of people who use a wheelchair in the airport do not require one for their daily life.
It's that long walk thing. I know plenty of folks who don't use wheelchairs at home but to get from the curb to the counter to a distant gate is a much longer distance than they walk on a regular basis. And the return with waiting at baggage claim and if it's international add all that walking/standing, I am not surprised at all by that figure.

You'll get old one day and maybe not be amazed at what older folks can and cannot do.
Mr.Nuke and wrp96 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.