Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A-list preferred benefit suggestion

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2023, 5:27 pm

Any elite bump would have to be seen as "industry-leading" not copycat. Southwest fires off rockets when one 737 gets power ports. It charms bloggers. All serving military are exempted from a two-bag limit and get a 100-pound bag allowance. "Our Mission is to Support Yours" polishes laurels, not risk.

Nothing preempts new status perks. They just need to be novel.
joshua362 and Juanefny like this.
Old May 8, 2023, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
Originally Posted by LegalTender
Any elite bump would have to be seen as "industry-leading" not copycat. Southwest fires off rockets when one 737 gets power ports. It charms bloggers. All serving military are exempted from a two-bag limit and get a 100-pound bag allowance. "Our Mission is to Support Yours" polishes laurels, not risk.

Nothing preempts new status perks. They just need to be novel.
Good points. I think a-list preferred needs some better perks to differentiate it and make you strive for the higher tier. Whatever this may be. This was just a suggestion, as its an area that southwest seems to be the lone outlier, and not in a good way.
Old May 9, 2023, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Back when I was top tier at Delta for many years, I never, ever had a bag over 50lbs. Ever.

As to southwest and charging for overweight, this is less about the money, and more about their workers having to lift those bags.
I never found X useful, therefore nobody else does either
​​​​​is not a good argument.
uastarflyer and Juanefny like this.
Old May 9, 2023, 8:02 am

Smile

I've got my status match to Southwest A list
What's your typical Boarding Priority as an A list member?
With an A list, do you have to do 24 hours on the clock online check-in to get the Group A1 - 15 or the system auto generated for you?

Thanks
Old May 9, 2023, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by BTS_FAN
I've got my status match to Southwest A list
What's your typical Boarding Priority as an A list member?
With an A list, do you have to do 24 hours on the clock online check-in to get the Group A1 - 15 or the system auto generated for you?

Thanks
Off topic - but I will answer since the original topic has been beat up... LOL

As an A list, they assign your boarding number 36 hours before flight for you. You will normally bet some sort of A boarding, though even B is possible, but very rare.

You will NEVER get A1-a15 unless you pay extra for it. If you want to get A1-a15, you can pay for it at T-24 - if there are any left.

Last edited by NoStressHere; May 10, 2023 at 1:21 am
Old May 9, 2023, 11:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Juanefny
Good points. I think a-list preferred needs some better perks to differentiate it and make you strive for the higher tier. Whatever this may be. This was just a suggestion, as its an area that southwest seems to be the lone outlier, and not in a good way.
Agreed. 70lb/bag is a differentiator, I know on UA that is offered to even non top tier status.

Having 3x70 allowance on UA has come in handy several times.
kennycrudup, Juanefny and FindAWay like this.
Old May 10, 2023, 7:07 pm

For year 2023, Do you get an actual welcome kit & A-list plastic membership card?

Thanks

Last edited by ftnoob; May 13, 2023 at 9:46 pm
Old May 12, 2023, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
I think the answer is to remove some of what you travel with. Expecting ground staff to deal with bags over 50lbs is wrong.

Southwest allows military travel bags up to 100lbs. It isnt really that big of a change to offer 70 for the top tier category.
Juanefny and FindAWay like this.
Old May 24, 2023, 12:35 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, EX-AA Explat, WN Loyalist
I agree that 50 lbs is low. I use a hard shell case which is heavy when empty, much less filled, but I manage to get to 49lbs with little effort. 70 would be ideal.

What I would like to see is for them to recognize the A-List Preferred tier by having a "elite handling". Meaning the elite bags are segregated and get on the baggage belt first. United has done it for years and was alwasy a great perk when you're on the run. A simple tag is all they would need. And likely could easily be implemented on the ramp with minimal training.
Old May 29, 2023, 1:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Wyndham Gold, GE/CLEAR
I think this would be smart actually. I've never checked a bag too close to 50 before (closest I've been is low 40s). However, the 3 bag deal I do use once in a blue moon with Delta Diamond. I have a flight next week on them where I'm gonna be checking 3 bags, plus a carry on and personal item since I'm practically moving. So it is useful in those once in a blue moon (or more frequently for some) situations.
Juanefny likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.