Wiki Posts
Search

Ultimate Rewards - WN transfer rules

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2021, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus, BA Executive Club, Hyatt Gold Passport
Ultimate Rewards - WN transfer rules

The vast majority of our Rapid Rewards points come from Chase Ultimate Rewards points transfers going into my account. That said, my wife and kids earn a few points here and there. My daughter is about 500 points short of a one way $99 ticket. I was going to try to top them up with 1000 Ultimate Rewards points, but then I remembered hearing that transfers are restricted to me and my authorized users and that I can only designate one account per travel partner program to transfer the points to in a 12 month period. I can’t seem to find these rules in writing anywhere and when I called Chase to ask, the phone rep I spoke with wasn’t clear on what the rules are either.

Where can I find clarification on the Ultimate Rewards points transfer rules? Assuming I’m right that I can’t transfer UR points to my daughter, is there another easy way to top up her account (aside from buying points or paying to transfer points from my RR account)?
Old Sep 17, 2021, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA LTP, UA, DL, HH, Marriott/SPG
For your daughter, what about enrolling her account in the Dining rewards program?

https://www.rapidrewardsdining.com/

On the UR home page, here's what I found. if you scroll to the bottom, there is a link called "Rewards Program Agreement". On the next page, you'll see a link for "How you can use your points". Towards the bottom, you'll see "transfer points to frequent guest programs".
What it says is:

"Transfer points to frequent travel programs

• You can transfer points in 1,000 point increments, but only to participating frequent travel program accounts belonging to you or one additional household member who is listed on your account as an authorized user. Once you transfer points to an authorized user, that person will be the only authorized user eligible to receive point transfers through this program.

• Go to chase.com/ultimaterewards, call the number on the back of your card or visit a Chase branch to transfer points to these frequent travel program accounts.

• A point transfer fee may be charged for points transferred to participating frequent travel programs. We’ll let you know if there’s a point transfer fee and the fee amount before you transfer points.

• Most point transfer requests process by the next business day, but it may take up to 7 business days depending on the frequent travel program. All point transfer details provided must match the information on file with the frequent travel program to which the points are being transferred. Any differences between the details provided and those already on file may cause delays or prevent points from transferring. We’ll let you know if your request can’t be completed.

• Any transferred points become subject to the terms and conditions of the frequent travel program. Chase is not responsible for the rules governing or the use of the participating frequent travel program.

• Once points are transferred, they can’t be refunded and the transaction can’t be canceled.

• You agree and understand that when you transfer points that you are authorizing Chase to send your point transfer details to the frequent travel program and our points administrators.

• Participating frequent travel programs are subject to change without notice."
jsnearline likes this.

Last edited by ftnoob; Sep 23, 2021 at 2:18 pm
Old Sep 17, 2021, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus, BA Executive Club, Hyatt Gold Passport
This is quite helpful. Thanks for sharing it. I found the agreement and downloaded a copy. It would be nice if they didn’t bury stuff like this quite so much. It seems to me they could have these conditions spelled out right on the “Transfer to Travel Partners” page.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 8:51 pm

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Rewards for Opinions is a survey site that gives WN points. In my experience, they post fairly quickly (24-48 hours) although officially they have a much longer window to post them.

Getting 500 points that way could be painful or painless, depending on the types of surveys you get and whether you can do them during something else (like watching tv).

It's not the easiest route but it's free and relatively quick.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
FYI -

If you BOOK the ticket from Chase, it then appears to be a cash booking, and you earn points on PAID flights. that would help her earn more points.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 12:46 pm

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
FYI -

If you BOOK the ticket from Chase, it then appears to be a cash booking, and you earn points on PAID flights. that would help her earn more points.
On most flights you would be spending extra points to do this and would add a layer of complexity if anything goes wrong since you now have an Expedia reservation instead of a WN reservation. I have seen quite a few people posting that they are still fighting with Expedia and Chase to get their UR back after WN cancelled their flight.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by EAJuggalo
On most flights you would be spending extra points to do this and would add a layer of complexity if anything goes wrong since you now have an Expedia reservation instead of a WN reservation. I have seen quite a few people posting that they are still fighting with Expedia and Chase to get their UR back after WN cancelled their flight.
I could be totally wrong, but I thought the cancel funds went back to the passenger from Southwest as future travel funds. Also, if you have the reserve, it books tickets at 1.5 value,meaning a $150 flight would only cost 10,000 points. ($100)

Somebody please correct me if wrong.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 3:43 pm

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
I could be totally wrong, but I thought the cancel funds went back to the passenger from Southwest as future travel funds. Also, if you have the reserve, it books tickets at 1.5 value,meaning a $150 flight would only cost 10,000 points. ($100)

Somebody please correct me if wrong.
I know I would much rather have a refund due to a cancelled flight as a refund, not just a TF in the name of the specific passenger. If the cost of the flight drops and you change the booking you would get a TF if you use UR, if you use RR you get the points back. Assuming the OP has the CSR and not the CSP or CIP you are correct it would be 10,066 points for a $151 ticket, that same ticket would be 10,253 RR points, not a huge difference. If OP has the CSP or CIP it would be 12,080 UR.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 3:47 pm
Suspended

I’ve never had an issue transferring Chase Ultimate Rewards to my wife’s Southwest Airlines account (and vice versa).

I’ve also transferred ‘her’ Chase points to my United Airlines program. I guess, to each their own, but we’ve never had an issue.

In fact, we should each have 104,000 points posting tomorrow, which I will slice and dice amongst a few of our programs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.